LTO and LTO2 drives! - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on LTO and LTO2 drives! - Veritas Net Backup ; I've upgraded from 1 LTO to 2 LTO2 drives. I've noticed I cannot run with the current DLT media without setting the new DLT2 drives as DLT. Is there a way running both DLT and DLT2 media without having to ...

  1. LTO and LTO2 drives!

    I've upgraded from 1 LTO to 2 LTO2 drives. I've noticed I cannot run with
    the current DLT media without setting the new DLT2 drives as DLT. Is there
    a way running both DLT and DLT2 media without having to change the config.
    of the drive each time?
    Thanks

  2. Re: LTO and LTO2 drives!

    Matt,

    If I understand you correctly, I believe you are referring to the logical
    sub grouping of Drive and Media Types. In Netbackup you either have a DLT
    drive or some other non DLT type drive. I don't think Netbackup distincts
    between the different DLT specifications, such as DLT-1, DLT-2 or DLT-x.
    Netbackup only cares about DLT.

    The additional selections within the DLT choices are logical sub-groupings
    and do not identify the additional Drive or Media Specifications.

    In the Netbackup GUI, when defining Drives and Media and you choose DLT, you
    are also given additional logical sub-selections of 1,2,3 etc.Your Drives
    and Media need to match in this sub-logical spec. For example: if your
    hardware and media is DLT-2 specification, you could still define all drives
    and media in Netbackup as type DLT, Furthermore, If you had lots of drives
    and media of the DLT-2 Specification, you could logically group certain
    drives in Netbackup as DLT and others as DLT2. You can also logically group
    media as DLT or DLT2. The DLT2 drives will only recognize the DLT2 media,
    and the DLT drives will only recognize the DLT media.

    I hope this helps.

    Kirk

    "Matt (again)" wrote in message

    > I've upgraded from 1 LTO to 2 LTO2 drives. I've noticed I cannot run with
    > the current DLT media without setting the new DLT2 drives as DLT. Is there
    > a way running both DLT and DLT2 media without having to change the config.
    > of the drive each time?
    > Thanks

  3. Re: LTO and LTO2 drives!

    We use LTO1 barcodes on our LTO2 media and all works well since LTO2 drives can read and write LTO1 media.

    Steven

    http://www.glimasoutheast.org

    "Kirk" wrote in message news:45afb6d3@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > Matt,
    >
    > If I understand you correctly, I believe you are referring to the logical sub grouping of Drive and Media Types. In Netbackup you
    > either have a DLT drive or some other non DLT type drive. I don't think Netbackup distincts between the different DLT
    > specifications, such as DLT-1, DLT-2 or DLT-x. Netbackup only cares about DLT.
    >
    > The additional selections within the DLT choices are logical sub-groupings and do not identify the additional Drive or Media
    > Specifications.
    >
    > In the Netbackup GUI, when defining Drives and Media and you choose DLT, you are also given additional logical sub-selections of
    > 1,2,3 etc.Your Drives and Media need to match in this sub-logical spec. For example: if your hardware and media is DLT-2
    > specification, you could still define all drives and media in Netbackup as type DLT, Furthermore, If you had lots of drives and
    > media of the DLT-2 Specification, you could logically group certain drives in Netbackup as DLT and others as DLT2. You can also
    > logically group media as DLT or DLT2. The DLT2 drives will only recognize the DLT2 media, and the DLT drives will only recognize
    > the DLT media.
    >
    > I hope this helps.
    >
    > Kirk
    >

    > "Matt (again)" wrote in message news:45a391a3@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>

    >> I've upgraded from 1 LTO to 2 LTO2 drives. I've noticed I cannot run with
    >> the current DLT media without setting the new DLT2 drives as DLT. Is there
    >> a way running both DLT and DLT2 media without having to change the config.
    >> of the drive each time?
    >> Thanks

+ Reply to Thread