CATALOG BACKUP QUESTION - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on CATALOG BACKUP QUESTION - Veritas Net Backup ; This is related to catalog backup using NetBackup 4.5 FP_6. 1. How often should one be doing a catalog backup. 2. If the catalogue is 40gigs in size and the Tape is 160gigs, is it possible to use the same ...

  1. CATALOG BACKUP QUESTION

    This is related to catalog backup using NetBackup 4.5 FP_6.

    1. How often should one be doing a catalog backup.

    2. If the catalogue is 40gigs in size and the Tape is 160gigs, is it possible
    to use the same tape more than once in a two week period? Appending the
    data to the tape, of course.

    3. Are there any extensive documentation about this anywhere on the Veritas
    site?

    Thanks.

    Ian.

  2. Re: CATALOG BACKUP QUESTION

    Hi Ian,

    My advice is ;

    1. Take an onsite catalog backup every day after each backup session. As
    part of "vault" take another catalog backup and send that offsite too along
    with all your offsite copies. We use 21 tapes, 4 for dailies Mon to Fri, 4
    for weeklies, four weeks offsite, 13 for monthlies - but these expire after
    4 weeks - so yes we do have 13 tapes offsite that are scratch.
    Our daily catalogs have a retention of two weeks, so there are always 4
    tapes in our robot that we can't use, until they rotate round.

    2. You cannot append. I'm not sure where the retention level is managed.

    3. Lots of docs and technotes at Veritas support site. But, like the rest
    of us, you'll have a hard time finding out exactly what you need to know.
    It is an "enterprise" product after all.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Ian" wrote in message

    > This is related to catalog backup using NetBackup 4.5 FP_6.
    >
    > 1. How often should one be doing a catalog backup.
    >
    > 2. If the catalogue is 40gigs in size and the Tape is 160gigs, is it
    > possible
    > to use the same tape more than once in a two week period? Appending the
    > data to the tape, of course.
    >
    > 3. Are there any extensive documentation about this anywhere on the
    > Veritas
    > site?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Ian.