Cybernetics HSTC & Netbackup - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Cybernetics HSTC & Netbackup - Veritas Net Backup ; I am running Netbackup 4.5 with a cybernetics tape unit(used for full backups) and another cybernetics Hard Drive unit(incrementals). The HD's have a a capasity of 1.5Tb, the issue that I have is that every backup appends to ONE volume ...

  1. Cybernetics HSTC & Netbackup

    I am running Netbackup 4.5 with a cybernetics tape unit(used for full backups)
    and another cybernetics Hard Drive unit(incrementals). The HD's have a a
    capasity of 1.5Tb, the issue that I have is that every backup appends to
    ONE volume listed in the volume pool. So every day it keeps growing, it
    doesnt matter if it's a manual or scheduled backup.

    What I want to do is force Netbackup(or convince it nicely) to create a
    new volume for every backup instead of appending it to the same volume.
    This way I can tell what was backed up and I can expire and delete the backups
    I dont need; this will also give me the option to keep a more important
    backup for longer if I need to.

    Thanks,
    Mauro

  2. Re: Cybernetics HSTC & Netbackup

    You could use different volume pools for this. Within your policy, use
    multiple schedules, and use the "Override Policy Volume Pool" setting to
    force the backups into a different pool.

    "Mauro" wrote in message

    > I am running Netbackup 4.5 with a cybernetics tape unit(used for full
    > backups)
    > and another cybernetics Hard Drive unit(incrementals). The HD's have a a
    > capasity of 1.5Tb, the issue that I have is that every backup appends to
    > ONE volume listed in the volume pool. So every day it keeps growing, it
    > doesnt matter if it's a manual or scheduled backup.
    >
    > What I want to do is force Netbackup(or convince it nicely) to create a
    > new volume for every backup instead of appending it to the same volume.
    > This way I can tell what was backed up and I can expire and delete the
    > backups
    > I dont need; this will also give me the option to keep a more important
    > backup for longer if I need to.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mauro

+ Reply to Thread