Netbackup db \ images is getting to big - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup db \ images is getting to big - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, i've got a bigger problem with the data size of veritas' netbackup. We are using netbackup 5.0 MP3 and a Storagetek L180 to backup an environment containing of 50 windows server over about 1 1/2 years. The first space ...

  1. Netbackup db \ images is getting to big

    Hello,

    i've got a bigger problem with the data size of veritas' netbackup.
    We are using netbackup 5.0 MP3 and a Storagetek L180 to backup an environment
    containing of 50 windows server over about 1 1/2 years.

    The first space probs occured in feb/march 2005, caused by the images folder
    (C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\images\servernames). We moved this
    from the local server HDs to a SAN attached Volume. Now after 6 months this
    db\images has grown to 91 GB's !!! Even the SAN attached storage will be
    occupied soon, if this is increasing continuesly.

    Therefor im searching possible ways to reduce the db\images files & folders.
    Ive changed the "Compressing catalog interval" to 5 days, but it didnt reduced
    the size.

    What are the best practices to clean the images\db folder (expiring images/backup
    id's, deleting old server entries per explorer)?

    Pls help, Thx!
    Philipp

  2. Re: Netbackup db \ images is getting to big

    Hi!

    Ive found the solution:
    first i did a bpcatlist to examine what kind of backup id's we have.
    With bpcatlist >bpcatlist.txt i created a txt file, which ive pasted in excel.
    After some sortations in excel, i could see that there are a lot of backup
    ID's which arent expired.
    I "deleted" them with the bpexpdate command, exactly:
    bpexpdate -backupid xxx_1234567890 -d 0 -force
    (xxx_12344567890 is our backupID, -d 0 expires them, - force wont query the
    user, but pls see the help files in your netbackup folder for explanation,
    especially the NetBackup_Commands_Win.pdf).

    Theres much work to do for me, i guess around 1000 entries to delete (excel
    helps by providing lists with the backup id's, so i havnt to do them each
    individual...)

    Bye
    Philipp

  3. Re: Netbackup db \ images is getting to big

    Philipp Schwarz wrote, in part, on 9/14/2005 11:38 AM:
    > After some sortations in excel, i could see that there are a lot of backup
    > ID's which arent expired.
    > I "deleted" them with the bpexpdate command, exactly:
    > bpexpdate -backupid xxx_1234567890 -d 0 -force

    Hopefully you realize you are effectively discarding those backups and
    your ability to restore from them. ;-)

    cheers, wayne

+ Reply to Thread