Info on process flow - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Info on process flow - Veritas Net Backup ; My environment is currently the following: NB DC 4.5 MP8. Windows 2000 Master plus 1 Windows 2000 Media server. Backups go directly to tape Libraries. The issue: I have been seeing a large quantity of Error Code 14: Tar file ...

  1. Info on process flow

    My environment is currently the following: NB DC 4.5 MP8. Windows 2000 Master
    plus 1 Windows 2000 Media server. Backups go directly to tape Libraries.

    The issue: I have been seeing a large quantity of Error Code 14: Tar file
    write errors on backups lately.

    Although it looks like the backup either rescheduled and completed successfully
    or with a sharing violation I am curious as to what point in the backup job
    the TAR file write happens.

    I am looking for some basic info as to the data flow: I am interested in
    knowledge of the location where these TAR files are being written prior to
    tape? If any.
    My co-workers are currently under the impression that the data from the client
    goes straight into the I/O Buffers for the Tape drives then directly onto
    tape from there. Which leads me to believe that there really isn't a TAR
    file created on either the client or the Master (or media) servers? however,
    this doesn't explain why I would see this error?

    Am I closer to seeing what happens if I say that the client creates a TAR
    file which is then transmitted to the master (or media) servers buffers then
    to tape?
    OR is the RAW data sent by the client to the master (or media) servers and
    stored in a temp location as a TAR file which, when the TAR file reaches
    an appropriate size is dumped to the Buffers then to the tape devices?

    I have researched the logs created by NB and the systems logs on various
    systems but have not been able to narrow down exactly where this problem
    is occurring.

  2. Re: Info on process flow

    The Tar file write error is an error writing to the media. It usually
    indicates a failing drive, bad media, or a dirty drive. Tar is the
    process that is writing to the tape drive. Essentially the bpbkar
    process on the client sends data in 2 streams back to the master, one
    stream goes to bptm (or bpdm for disk backups) and one goes to bpdbm.
    The stream that goes to tape is the data, the stream that goes to
    bpdbm is the catalog information. (This is an fairly simplified
    explanation with a few steps left out but is useful for the purpose of
    explaining). There is no "Tar" file other than what is being written
    to tape. Hope this helps. I would examine bptm, and system and
    application event logs for more information on the write errors.

    Jeff

    On 15 Jun 2005 13:03:51 -0500, "Brandon Long"
    wrote:

    >My environment is currently the following: NB DC 4.5 MP8. Windows 2000 Master
    >plus 1 Windows 2000 Media server. Backups go directly to tape Libraries.
    >
    >The issue: I have been seeing a large quantity of Error Code 14: Tar file
    >write errors on backups lately.
    >
    >Although it looks like the backup either rescheduled and completed successfully
    >or with a sharing violation I am curious as to what point in the backup job
    >the TAR file write happens.
    >
    >I am looking for some basic info as to the data flow: I am interested in
    >knowledge of the location where these TAR files are being written prior to
    >tape? If any.
    >My co-workers are currently under the impression that the data from the client
    >goes straight into the I/O Buffers for the Tape drives then directly onto
    >tape from there. Which leads me to believe that there really isn't a TAR
    >file created on either the client or the Master (or media) servers? however,
    >this doesn't explain why I would see this error?
    >
    >Am I closer to seeing what happens if I say that the client creates a TAR
    >file which is then transmitted to the master (or media) servers buffers then
    >to tape?
    >OR is the RAW data sent by the client to the master (or media) servers and
    >stored in a temp location as a TAR file which, when the TAR file reaches
    >an appropriate size is dumped to the Buffers then to the tape devices?
    >
    >I have researched the logs created by NB and the systems logs on various
    >systems but have not been able to narrow down exactly where this problem
    >is occurring.

+ Reply to Thread