Upgrading from NetBackup (Windows) 4.5 FP6 to 5.1 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Upgrading from NetBackup (Windows) 4.5 FP6 to 5.1 - Veritas Net Backup ; I am a storage administrator, dealing with matters concerning backups & diskspace. I am aware that NetBackup 4.5 will go 'end of life' / out of official support in December 2005. I am now planning to upgrade our current environment, ...

  1. Upgrading from NetBackup (Windows) 4.5 FP6 to 5.1

    I am a storage administrator, dealing with matters concerning backups & diskspace.

    I am aware that NetBackup 4.5 will go 'end of life' / out of official support
    in December 2005.
    I am now planning to upgrade our current environment, partly because of this
    & also to be ready for version 6.x.

    Does anyone have experience of upgrading from NetBackup 4.5 FP6 (Windows)
    to 5.1 & can advise on any pitfalls or things to be aware of.

    The environment is 1 x Master server, with 2 x Media servers, a mixture of
    MSL5026 / MSl5052 tape libraries joined and presented as on tape library
    - all of it is fibre attached via a SAN.

    My plan is to :
    - take the normal backup schedule
    - ensure the Catalog backup thereafter runs
    - upgrade / install 5.1 to the Master & Media servers
    - leave the clients/targets to be upgraded 'piecemeal'.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Upgrading from NetBackup (Windows) 4.5 FP6 to 5.1

    What you listed below is the perfect method for the upgrade. You
    should face no special challenges as the upgrade process is fairly
    straight forward and hassle free.

    On 8 Jun 2005 06:58:08 -0500, "Wilson Chan"
    wrote:

    >I am a storage administrator, dealing with matters concerning backups & diskspace.
    >
    >I am aware that NetBackup 4.5 will go 'end of life' / out of official support
    >in December 2005.
    >I am now planning to upgrade our current environment, partly because of this
    >& also to be ready for version 6.x.
    >
    >Does anyone have experience of upgrading from NetBackup 4.5 FP6 (Windows)
    >to 5.1 & can advise on any pitfalls or things to be aware of.
    >
    >The environment is 1 x Master server, with 2 x Media servers, a mixture of
    >MSL5026 / MSl5052 tape libraries joined and presented as on tape library
    >- all of it is fibre attached via a SAN.
    >
    >My plan is to :
    >- take the normal backup schedule
    >- ensure the Catalog backup thereafter runs
    >- upgrade / install 5.1 to the Master & Media servers
    >- leave the clients/targets to be upgraded 'piecemeal'.
    >
    >Thanks.

  3. Re: Upgrading from NetBackup (Windows) 4.5 FP6 to 5.1

    When doing the upgrade, update to the latest maintenance pack (MP3)
    before running NetBackup. Also, check the compatibility matrix on your
    clients to be sure they are supported on v5.1 ... a non-supported client
    *may* run the v5.1 software, but I've left well enough alone and have
    kept these at (what was) the latest supported level. Finally, v5.1 is
    picky about the Admin Console, in that v5.1 server requires v5.1 Admin
    Console, and vice versa.

    cheers, wayne

    Jeff Redington wrote, in part, on 6/8/2005 9:44 AM:
    > What you listed below is the perfect method for the upgrade. You
    > should face no special challenges as the upgrade process is fairly
    > straight forward and hassle free.
    >
    > On 8 Jun 2005 06:58:08 -0500, "Wilson Chan"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I am a storage administrator, dealing with matters concerning backups & diskspace.
    >>
    >>I am aware that NetBackup 4.5 will go 'end of life' / out of official support
    >>in December 2005.
    >>I am now planning to upgrade our current environment, partly because of this
    >>& also to be ready for version 6.x.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have experience of upgrading from NetBackup 4.5 FP6 (Windows)
    >>to 5.1 & can advise on any pitfalls or things to be aware of.
    >>
    >>The environment is 1 x Master server, with 2 x Media servers, a mixture of
    >>MSL5026 / MSl5052 tape libraries joined and presented as on tape library
    >>- all of it is fibre attached via a SAN.
    >>
    >>My plan is to :
    >>- take the normal backup schedule
    >>- ensure the Catalog backup thereafter runs
    >>- upgrade / install 5.1 to the Master & Media servers
    >>- leave the clients/targets to be upgraded 'piecemeal'.
    >>
    >>Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread