catalog restore - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on catalog restore - Veritas Net Backup ; In the last year, we deleted the catalog files from our netbackup directory for certain backup policies (drive space issues). We need to get data from one of the backups that wes removed from the catalog. Is there any way ...

  1. catalog restore

    In the last year, we deleted the catalog files from our netbackup directory
    for certain backup policies (drive space issues). We need to get data from
    one of the backups that wes removed from the catalog.
    Is there any way to restore the catalog db from the backup of the master
    server (the catalog backup tape is overwritten everytime it is backed-up)?
    Would we be able to recover only part of the catalog that was deleted or
    does a catalog recovery recover the entire catalog?
    I'm currently importing the tape I need, but it is extremely time consuming
    and it has failed twice. Just looking for a way to speed up this process.

    thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: catalog restore

    Is it possible to just restore an image from my master server backup to the
    db\images folder? I couldn't be that easy could it?

    "Tim" wrote:

    >In the last year, we deleted the catalog files from our netbackup directory
    >for certain backup policies (drive space issues). We need to get data from
    >one of the backups that wes removed from the catalog.
    >Is there any way to restore the catalog db from the backup of the master
    >server (the catalog backup tape is overwritten everytime it is backed-up)?
    > Would we be able to recover only part of the catalog that was deleted or
    >does a catalog recovery recover the entire catalog?
    >I'm currently importing the tape I need, but it is extremely time consuming
    >and it has failed twice. Just looking for a way to speed up this process.
    >
    >thanks,
    >Tim

  3. Re: catalog restore

    No it would not be that easy. While that would restore the image
    information there would be no corresponding entry in the volume
    database. Also, you cannot perform a partial restore of the catalog.
    It would restore the entire catalog essentially taking your master
    server back in time to the date of the catalog backup and losing all
    backup information that has ocurred since then. Not a good idea. Your
    best option is simply to import the tape. It is tedious and slow but
    it will not hose the master server and it works eventually.

    Jeff

    On 3 May 2005 10:28:42 -0500, "Tim" wrote:

    >Is it possible to just restore an image from my master server backup to the
    >db\images folder? I couldn't be that easy could it?
    >
    >"Tim" wrote:
    >>
    >>In the last year, we deleted the catalog files from our netbackup directory
    >>for certain backup policies (drive space issues). We need to get data from
    >>one of the backups that wes removed from the catalog.
    >>Is there any way to restore the catalog db from the backup of the master
    >>server (the catalog backup tape is overwritten everytime it is backed-up)?
    >> Would we be able to recover only part of the catalog that was deleted or
    >>does a catalog recovery recover the entire catalog?
    >>I'm currently importing the tape I need, but it is extremely time consuming
    >>and it has failed twice. Just looking for a way to speed up this process.
    >>
    >>thanks,
    >>Tim

+ Reply to Thread