backup of client <server name> exited with status 13 (file read failed) - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on backup of client <server name> exited with status 13 (file read failed) - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, We use Netbackup datacenter version 4.5 FP_3GA. A recent upgrade of our domain controller to Win2003 caused that all backup jobs failed for this server. In Windows 2000 server the jobs used to work fine. Event Viewer for this ...

  1. backup of client <server name> exited with status 13 (file read failed)

    Hi, We use Netbackup datacenter version 4.5 FP_3GA. A recent upgrade of our
    domain controller to Win2003 caused that all backup jobs failed for this
    server. In Windows 2000 server the jobs used to work fine.

    Event Viewer for this server shows as follows:
    Faulting application bpbkar32.exe, version 4.5.0.2775, faulting module ubsnt.dll,
    version 4.5.0.2775, fault address 0x00027f20.

    The bpbrm log shows:
    system call failed - Connection reset by peer (at child.c.1101)
    socket read failed: errno = 232 - Connection reset by peer
    unable to perform read from client socket, connection may have been broken
    could not send server status message
    backup of client exited with status 13 (file read failed)

    In the policies the client is configured to be PC, Windows2000 (there is
    no Windows 2003 but since FP_3 is suppose to be supported)

    Any help is appreciated

  2. Re: backup of client <server name> exited with status 13 (file read failed)

    The status 13 is caused by the bpbkar fault. The bpbkar process dies
    and thus kills communication with the other server. It looks like
    there may be a problem with the bpbkar binary on that server. I would
    reapply FP3 to the client to make sure. Also if the client isnt at 4.5
    FP3 it wont work either. The FP3/MP3 client was when support was added
    for 2003.

    Jeff

    On 16 Apr 2005 04:07:12 -0500, "Ladislao" wrote:

    >Hi, We use Netbackup datacenter version 4.5 FP_3GA. A recent upgrade of our
    >domain controller to Win2003 caused that all backup jobs failed for this
    >server. In Windows 2000 server the jobs used to work fine.
    >
    >Event Viewer for this server shows as follows:
    >Faulting application bpbkar32.exe, version 4.5.0.2775, faulting module ubsnt.dll,
    >version 4.5.0.2775, fault address 0x00027f20.
    >
    >The bpbrm log shows:
    > system call failed - Connection reset by peer (at child.c.1101)
    > socket read failed: errno = 232 - Connection reset by peer
    > unable to perform read from client socket, connection may have been broken
    > could not send server status message
    > backup of client exited with status 13 (file read failed)
    >
    >In the policies the client is configured to be PC, Windows2000 (there is
    >no Windows 2003 but since FP_3 is suppose to be supported)
    >
    >Any help is appreciated

  3. Re: backup of client <server name> exited with status 13 (file read failed)

    Jeff Redington wrote:
    >The status 13 is caused by the bpbkar fault. The bpbkar process dies
    >and thus kills communication with the other server. It looks like
    >there may be a problem with the bpbkar binary on that server. I would
    >reapply FP3 to the client to make sure. Also if the client isnt at 4.5
    >FP3 it wont work either. The FP3/MP3 client was when support was added
    >for 2003.
    >
    >Jeff

    We use Netbackup on Windows 2000 systems. I have one system that exceeded
    1 Tbyte and it started failing with a status 13. The last response by Jeff,
    would that also be the fix on Windows 2000? or do you suggest something else?
    lookng at the log files, I see a lot of Status 134s and in the event log
    under application I have the Event ID: 2643 - Mount Count/time of media id....failed,
    status+cannot connect to vmd.
    Thank you
    Dale Marino

  4. Re: backup of client <server name> exited with status 13 (file read failed)

    In the case of status 134s, status 13's and the error about not
    connecting to vmd, it would seem to point to more of a networking
    issue of some kind. Also, with 4.5 you could not exceed 1 TB in a
    single stream. So you may be running into that problem. You may need
    to break it into smaller chunks for the backup to run properly.

    Jeff

    On 24 May 2005 09:59:02 -0500, "Dale Marino"
    wrote:

    >Jeff Redington wrote:
    >>The status 13 is caused by the bpbkar fault. The bpbkar process dies
    >>and thus kills communication with the other server. It looks like
    >>there may be a problem with the bpbkar binary on that server. I would
    >>reapply FP3 to the client to make sure. Also if the client isnt at 4.5
    >>FP3 it wont work either. The FP3/MP3 client was when support was added
    >>for 2003.
    >>
    >>Jeff
    >>

    >We use Netbackup on Windows 2000 systems. I have one system that exceeded
    >1 Tbyte and it started failing with a status 13. The last response by Jeff,
    >would that also be the fix on Windows 2000? or do you suggest something else?
    >lookng at the log files, I see a lot of Status 134s and in the event log
    >under application I have the Event ID: 2643 - Mount Count/time of media id....failed,
    >status+cannot connect to vmd.
    >Thank you
    >Dale Marino

+ Reply to Thread