Problem after moving tape library to different server - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Problem after moving tape library to different server - Veritas Net Backup ; I have a problem after the loss of a media server from our windows 2000 netbackup 3.4 system. The media server is no longer useable (but I do have a copy of the volmgr database directory in case I can ...

  1. Problem after moving tape library to different server

    I have a problem after the loss of a media server from our windows 2000 netbackup
    3.4 system.

    The media server is no longer useable (but I do have a copy of the volmgr
    database directory in case I can make any use of it) and we have moved the
    tape library onto our master server. Although the system is now working Netbackup
    no longer has full access to tapes written prior to the move.

    The tapes are visible in Media Manager with the correct "last assigned" and
    "last mounted" dates. Checks with bpimmedia show that the individual images
    on the tapes are expiring on the expected dates but the tapes are still assigned
    and cannot be re-used.

    I can restore data from the old tapes after creating a FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER
    key in the registry (TechNote ID: 238401) but netbackup still fails to acknowledge
    the existence of the tapes for most other operations (e.g. in the media list
    or media summary reports).

    The copy of Netbackup on the media server is now in a state where it cannot
    be fully uninstalled (setup reports error 1723, missing DLL) or reinstalled.

    Can anyone suggest how I can get these tapes back into my system, or at least
    unassign them after the images have expired?

  2. Re: Problem after moving tape library to different server

    don't know if this works if the old meida server is unavail.
    even though you have put in the FORCE the new media server does not OWN the
    tapes.
    at the command line.
    run bpmedialist -mlist -l -h
    this will give you a list of all the tapes that the old server OWNS

    unsing that list run
    bpmedia -movedb -ev -oldserver -newserver

    this will then make the new media server OWN the tapes.

    try it with one and see if it works.
    then try writing a script for it (depenend on how may you have to do).

    "Mike Clarke" wrote:

    >I have a problem after the loss of a media server from our windows 2000

    netbackup
    >3.4 system.
    >
    >The media server is no longer useable (but I do have a copy of the volmgr
    >database directory in case I can make any use of it) and we have moved the
    >tape library onto our master server. Although the system is now working

    Netbackup
    >no longer has full access to tapes written prior to the move.
    >
    >The tapes are visible in Media Manager with the correct "last assigned"

    and
    >"last mounted" dates. Checks with bpimmedia show that the individual images
    >on the tapes are expiring on the expected dates but the tapes are still

    assigned
    >and cannot be re-used.
    >
    >I can restore data from the old tapes after creating a FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER
    >key in the registry (TechNote ID: 238401) but netbackup still fails to

    acknowledge
    >the existence of the tapes for most other operations (e.g. in the media

    list
    >or media summary reports).
    >
    >The copy of Netbackup on the media server is now in a state where it cannot
    >be fully uninstalled (setup reports error 1723, missing DLL) or reinstalled.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest how I can get these tapes back into my system, or at

    least
    >unassign them after the images have expired?

  3. Re: Problem after moving tape library to different server

    "Mike Clarke" wrote:

    >I have a problem after the loss of a media server from our windows 2000

    netbackup
    >3.4 system.
    >
    >The media server is no longer useable (but I do have a copy of the volmgr
    >database directory in case I can make any use of it) and we have moved the
    >tape library onto our master server. Although the system is now working

    Netbackup
    >no longer has full access to tapes written prior to the move.
    >
    >The tapes are visible in Media Manager with the correct "last assigned"

    and
    >"last mounted" dates. Checks with bpimmedia show that the individual images
    >on the tapes are expiring on the expected dates but the tapes are still

    assigned
    >and cannot be re-used.
    >
    >I can restore data from the old tapes after creating a FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER
    >key in the registry (TechNote ID: 238401) but netbackup still fails to

    acknowledge
    >the existence of the tapes for most other operations (e.g. in the media

    list
    >or media summary reports).
    >
    >The copy of Netbackup on the media server is now in a state where it cannot
    >be fully uninstalled (setup reports error 1723, missing DLL) or reinstalled.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest how I can get these tapes back into my system, or at

    least
    >unassign them after the images have expired?

  4. Re: Problem after moving tape library to different server

    Does anybody have a script to move lots of media from one media server to
    another as mentioned??

    Thanks

    "jlhinc" wrote:

    >don't know if this works if the old meida server is unavail.
    >even though you have put in the FORCE the new media server does not OWN

    the
    >tapes.
    >at the command line.
    >run bpmedialist -mlist -l -h
    >this will give you a list of all the tapes that the old server OWNS
    >
    >unsing that list run
    >bpmedia -movedb -ev -oldserver -newserver
    >
    >this will then make the new media server OWN the tapes.
    >
    >try it with one and see if it works.
    >then try writing a script for it (depenend on how may you have to do).
    >

    >"Mike Clarke" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have a problem after the loss of a media server from our windows 2000

    >netbackup
    >>3.4 system.
    >>
    >>The media server is no longer useable (but I do have a copy of the volmgr
    >>database directory in case I can make any use of it) and we have moved

    the
    >>tape library onto our master server. Although the system is now working

    >Netbackup
    >>no longer has full access to tapes written prior to the move.
    >>
    >>The tapes are visible in Media Manager with the correct "last assigned"

    >and
    >>"last mounted" dates. Checks with bpimmedia show that the individual images
    >>on the tapes are expiring on the expected dates but the tapes are still

    >assigned
    >>and cannot be re-used.
    >>
    >>I can restore data from the old tapes after creating a FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER
    >>key in the registry (TechNote ID: 238401) but netbackup still fails to

    >acknowledge
    >>the existence of the tapes for most other operations (e.g. in the media

    >list
    >>or media summary reports).
    >>
    >>The copy of Netbackup on the media server is now in a state where it cannot
    >>be fully uninstalled (setup reports error 1723, missing DLL) or reinstalled.
    >>
    >>Can anyone suggest how I can get these tapes back into my system, or at

    >least
    >>unassign them after the images have expired?

+ Reply to Thread