Media positioning error - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Media positioning error - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, I have a Win2K server with Netbackup Datacenter 4.5, and a HP MSL5030 tape library with two LTO drives. Everything runs fine, except I sometimes get Media Positioning Error on my backups. Until now, I have used about 80 ...

  1. Media positioning error

    Hi,

    I have a Win2K server with Netbackup Datacenter 4.5, and a HP MSL5030 tape
    library with two LTO drives. Everything runs fine, except I sometimes get
    Media Positioning Error on my backups. Until now, I have used about 80
    tapes, and five of them has been frozen by Netbackup or manually because of
    this error. Sometimes the tape stays in the drive, and the library has to be
    rebooted before it ejects. It's a little bit annoying, because apart for
    this problem I'm 100% happy with NB4.5.
    I have not figured out why this happens. The drives have been cleaned. and
    all the tapes are brand new.
    I'm wondering if it is a problem with the tapes or a problem with the
    library/drives.
    Any suggestions?

    Any feedback will be appreciated.

    -Heine Didriksen
    Bergen, Norway

  2. Re: Media positioning error

    join the club, I have been working with veritas and storagetek for a year
    and have yet to figure out why brand new tapes will get abandoned in the
    drive. tho it is not as bad as it was. When I change the unmount timeout
    value to 1800 I did not have as many get stuck. I now only get 1 or 2 a mouth
    were I was getting about 20 a month.

    "Heine Didriksen" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a Win2K server with Netbackup Datacenter 4.5, and a HP MSL5030 tape
    >library with two LTO drives. Everything runs fine, except I sometimes get
    >Media Positioning Error on my backups. Until now, I have used about 80
    >tapes, and five of them has been frozen by Netbackup or manually because

    of
    >this error. Sometimes the tape stays in the drive, and the library has to

    be
    >rebooted before it ejects. It's a little bit annoying, because apart for
    >this problem I'm 100% happy with NB4.5.
    >I have not figured out why this happens. The drives have been cleaned. and
    >all the tapes are brand new.
    >I'm wondering if it is a problem with the tapes or a problem with the
    >library/drives.
    >Any suggestions?
    >

    >Any feedback will be appreciated.
    >
    >-Heine Didriksen