How to backup to disk then tape? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on How to backup to disk then tape? - Veritas Net Backup ; I have a disk array and a tape robot. To enable faster backup's I want to backup everything to the disk array first, then backup the contents of the disk to tape. I would then need the disks contents deleted ...

  1. How to backup to disk then tape?

    I have a disk array and a tape robot. To enable faster backup's I want to
    backup everything to the disk array first, then backup the contents of the
    disk to tape. I would then need the disks contents deleted to make space
    for the following evenings backup.

    Does anyone have a similar setup that can give me some guidelines on the
    best way of doing this?

    Thanks

  2. Re: How to backup to disk then tape?

    "Michael Eracleous" wrote:
    >I have a disk array and a tape robot. To enable faster backup's I want

    >backup everything to the disk array first, then backup the contents of the
    >disk to tape. I would then need the disks contents deleted to make space
    >for the following evenings backup.
    >
    >Does anyone have a similar setup that can give me some guidelines on the
    >best way of doing this?
    >
    >Thanks

  3. Re: How to backup to disk then tape?

    I have a similar process in place, it was relatively painless to setup -
    I have a Solaris Master and a Windows 2000 Media server. The media server
    is a simple Win2k Box with 2 TB of attached disk storage...its simply one
    big volume. Since this is a media server I simply created a storage unit
    pointing to that disk as the source. Backups kick off as scheduled and are
    backed up to this disk. Then Netbackup backs up that volume to tape afterwards...seperate
    scheduled jobs.
    its not peraps the best way but its easy to setup.
    I set the image retention at 1 day by the way to make sure there is enough
    room for incoming data on the disk-based SU

    "Michael Eracleous" wrote:
    >I have a disk array and a tape robot. To enable faster backup's I want

    >backup everything to the disk array first, then backup the contents of the
    >disk to tape. I would then need the disks contents deleted to make space
    >for the following evenings backup.
    >
    >Does anyone have a similar setup that can give me some guidelines on the
    >best way of doing this?
    >
    >Thanks

  4. Re: How to backup to disk then tape?

    I thought the entires were removed from the catalogue after the retention
    period was up so you could not restore to from this kinda setup.

    "Jeff Johnson" wrote in message

    > I have a similar process in place, it was relatively painless to setup -
    > I have a Solaris Master and a Windows 2000 Media server. The media server
    > is a simple Win2k Box with 2 TB of attached disk storage...its simply one
    > big volume. Since this is a media server I simply created a storage unit
    > pointing to that disk as the source. Backups kick off as scheduled and

    are
    > backed up to this disk. Then Netbackup backs up that volume to tape

    afterwards...seperate
    > scheduled jobs.
    > its not peraps the best way but its easy to setup.
    > I set the image retention at 1 day by the way to make sure there is enough
    > room for incoming data on the disk-based SU
    >

    > "Michael Eracleous" wrote:
    > >I have a disk array and a tape robot. To enable faster backup's I want

    > >backup everything to the disk array first, then backup the contents of

    the
    > >disk to tape. I would then need the disks contents deleted to make space
    > >for the following evenings backup.
    > >
    > >Does anyone have a similar setup that can give me some guidelines on the
    > >best way of doing this?
    > >
    > >Thanks

  5. Re: How to backup to disk then tape?

    You are correct Michael, the retention period only deals with the catalog
    image and not with the data on the disk. There is cool little program I use
    called Delenda. This program deletes or moves files based on the search
    parameters I specify. I can be used to delete the contents of a single
    folder, or can be setup to traverse through sub folders. Very cool program.
    I set it up and have never had to go in and check to make sure it's working.

    "Michael Eracleous" wrote in message
    > I thought the entires were removed from the catalogue after the retention
    > period was up so you could not restore to from this kinda setup.
    >

    > "Jeff Johnson" wrote in message
    > >
    > > I have a similar process in place, it was relatively painless to setup -
    > > I have a Solaris Master and a Windows 2000 Media server. The media

    server
    > > is a simple Win2k Box with 2 TB of attached disk storage...its simply

    one
    > > big volume. Since this is a media server I simply created a storage unit
    > > pointing to that disk as the source. Backups kick off as scheduled and

    > are
    > > backed up to this disk. Then Netbackup backs up that volume to tape

    > afterwards...seperate
    > > scheduled jobs.
    > > its not peraps the best way but its easy to setup.
    > > I set the image retention at 1 day by the way to make sure there is

    enough
    > > room for incoming data on the disk-based SU
    > >

    > > "Michael Eracleous" wrote:
    > > >I have a disk array and a tape robot. To enable faster backup's I want

    > > >backup everything to the disk array first, then backup the contents of

    > the
    > > >disk to tape. I would then need the disks contents deleted to make

    space
    > > >for the following evenings backup.
    > > >
    > > >Does anyone have a similar setup that can give me some guidelines on

    the
    > > >best way of doing this?
    > > >
    > > >Thanks

+ Reply to Thread