Feature Pack versus Maintenance Pack - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Feature Pack versus Maintenance Pack - Veritas Net Backup ; I recently upgraded my environment to NB DC 4.5. I am looking for pros and cons of each patch line to follow. Any good/bad experiences?...

  1. Feature Pack versus Maintenance Pack

    I recently upgraded my environment to NB DC 4.5. I am looking for pros and
    cons of each patch line to follow. Any good/bad experiences?

  2. Re: Feature Pack versus Maintenance Pack

    Pete LeMay wrote:
    > I recently upgraded my environment to NB DC 4.5. I am looking for pros and
    > cons of each patch line to follow. Any good/bad experiences?

    I stayed on the MP track, but FP has some useful bullets. We wanted FP
    for ext3 support (linux file system), but backups and restores via MP4
    seem to work OK. Neither MP4 nor FP4 has support of RH9, which has been
    a wakeup call for a few on our staff (due out in a few weeks, according
    to scuttlebutt).

    There are so many things fixed from GA, I highly recommend going to MP4
    and then figuring out if you want FP. cheers, wayne

  3. Re: Feature Pack versus Maintenance Pack

    Use MP's if you do not have a maintenance agreement. MP's contain bug
    fixes, patches etc.

    If you have a maintenance agreement then use FP's as they contain everything
    fromt he MP's plus program enhancements, additions etc.

    BUT ... If you decide to go with FP's, DO NOT at any time after that install
    an MP. The caveat to the FP path is that you have to wait longer for FP's
    than MP's.

    "Pete LeMay" wrote in message

    > I recently upgraded my environment to NB DC 4.5. I am looking for pros and
    > cons of each patch line to follow. Any good/bad experiences?

  4. Re: Feature Pack versus Maintenance Pack

    According to my instructor the FP track of updates are geared toward
    features that will be included in NB 5. The FPs are basically pre-release
    features of version 5. The FP updates included all the fixes that are
    included in the MP level udates but, as stated in the previous post, tend to
    be release later than the MP's.

    Also, as mentioned earlier, once you install an FP you cannot install any
    MPs. If you go the FP path you must stay on the FP path.

    "Pete LeMay" wrote in message

    > I recently upgraded my environment to NB DC 4.5. I am looking for pros and
    > cons of each patch line to follow. Any good/bad experiences?

+ Reply to Thread