What product for remote Enterprise backup - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on What product for remote Enterprise backup - Veritas Net Backup ; I have a client that wants to offer offsite backup and storage for commercial clients. He has a combination of fiber and 5.3 Ghz wireless points that allow his clients up to 10 Mb/sec. A company that subscribes to his ...

  1. What product for remote Enterprise backup

    I have a client that wants to offer offsite backup and storage for
    commercial clients. He has a combination of fiber and 5.3 Ghz wireless
    points that allow his clients up to 10 Mb/sec.

    A company that subscribes to his service, usually with a wireless subscriber
    unit on their roof, becomes a member of a private network. At his cente of
    operations, besides web and Exchange servers, is a fireproof bankers vault
    with a backup server and RAID arrays.

    The plan is to create volumes on the Windows 2000 backup server, rent them
    out, and remotely backup clients on the fiber / wireless network. The
    clients will have a mixture of units at the other end, some Windows
    servers, but also just workstations and stannd-alone computers. The plan is
    to back up critical data like accounting files. Proposals are NTFS volumes
    in increments of 30 Gb.

    All the clients will be on the same subnet. What type of software would be
    best suited for this? A few other questions:

    1. Is there software that would dynamically back up a remote site similar
    to a Windows 2000 DFS replicating itself?

    2. Can backup jobs be encrypted and the key held by only the client? I was
    thinking about lawyers and confidentiality concerns.

    Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

  2. Re: What product for remote Enterprise backup

    > The plan is to create volumes on the Windows 2000 backup server, rent them
    > out,

    If I understand you want to backup to hard disk ,in this case I would choose
    netbackup professional

    > 1. Is there software that would dynamically back up a remote site similar
    > to a Windows 2000 DFS replicating itself?

    Netbackup datacentre

    > 2. Can backup jobs be encrypted and the key held by only the client? I

    was
    > thinking about lawyers and confidentiality concerns.

    Netbackup datacentre

    if you want to use a mixed of storage device and make the file accessible
    based on request ( kind of restore automated ) I would suggest HSM storage
    migrator

  3. Re: What product for remote Enterprise backup

    > The plan is to create volumes on the Windows 2000 backup server, rent them
    > out,

    If I understand you want to backup to hard disk ,in this case I would choose
    netbackup professional

    > 1. Is there software that would dynamically back up a remote site similar
    > to a Windows 2000 DFS replicating itself?

    Netbackup datacentre

    > 2. Can backup jobs be encrypted and the key held by only the client? I

    was
    > thinking about lawyers and confidentiality concerns.

    Netbackup datacentre

    if you want to use a mixed of storage device and make the file accessible
    based on request ( kind of restore automated ) I would suggest HSM storage
    migrator

  4. Re: What product for remote Enterprise backup

    > The plan is to create volumes on the Windows 2000 backup server, rent them
    > out,

    If I understand you want to backup to hard disk ,in this case I would choose
    netbackup professional

    > 1. Is there software that would dynamically back up a remote site similar
    > to a Windows 2000 DFS replicating itself?

    Netbackup datacentre

    > 2. Can backup jobs be encrypted and the key held by only the client? I

    was
    > thinking about lawyers and confidentiality concerns.

    Netbackup datacentre

    if you want to use a mixed of storage device and make the file accessible
    based on request ( kind of restore automated ) I would suggest HSM storage
    migrator

+ Reply to Thread