Replacing Master Server.. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Replacing Master Server.. - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, I will be retiring our current master server running on NT. Replacing it will be on W2K and server name will be different. Will restoring the catalog do it after installing netbackup or are there more steps involved? Appreciate ...

  1. Replacing Master Server..

    Hi,

    I will be retiring our current master server running on NT. Replacing it
    will be on W2K and server name will be different. Will restoring the catalog
    do it after installing netbackup or are there more steps involved? Appreciate
    the help.

  2. Re: Replacing Master Server..

    yes there are more steps involved because of the master server name change.
    I suggest using the same name.
    I also suggest contacting VERITAS for assistance if you simply MUST change
    the master server name.
    It can get pretty hairy and its good to already have a call open with VERITAS
    in case of problems.

    "Cort" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I will be retiring our current master server running on NT. Replacing it
    >will be on W2K and server name will be different. Will restoring the catalog
    >do it after installing netbackup or are there more steps involved? Appreciate
    >the help.

  3. Re: Replacing Master Server..

    One time I had to reinstall Netbackup due to some problems we were having,
    in order to save all our settings without recreating everything we had to do
    the following, based on what we told by Veritas Tech Support.

    1. Copy the \Program Files\Veritas - Directory to a temporary location on
    you Network or Local Drive.
    2. Stop the NBU services....Uninstall NetBackup..if the Veritas Directory
    still exists - Delete it.

    3. Reboot

    4. Install (Reinstall) Netbackup......(Do not configure anything yet).

    5. Stop the Services...Copy over - from the temporary location.

    a. Veritas\Netbackup\db - to the same directory path.

    b. Veritas\Volmgr\Database - to the same directory path.

    6. Restart the NetBackup Services...

    This might help you, it worked for us, but I dont know what will happen with
    the name change, you might want to consider leaving it the same name for
    now, and possibly rename it later. If you switch the name, you will have to
    go to every server and change the master server name on it for it to
    comunicate with the new Master Server, if you have a lot of servers this
    could take a long time.

    "Bob Stump" wrote in message

    > yes there are more steps involved because of the master server name

    change.
    > I suggest using the same name.
    > I also suggest contacting VERITAS for assistance if you simply MUST change
    > the master server name.
    > It can get pretty hairy and its good to already have a call open with

    VERITAS
    > in case of problems.
    >
    > "Cort" wrote:
    > >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I will be retiring our current master server running on NT. Replacing it
    > >will be on W2K and server name will be different. Will restoring the

    catalog
    > >do it after installing netbackup or are there more steps involved?

    Appreciate
    > >the help.

+ Reply to Thread