TapeAlert questions and configuration - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on TapeAlert questions and configuration - Veritas Net Backup ; I'm trying to find out how to configure a backup system to utilize TapeAlert. We have NB DC 3.4.1 running on a Compaq 1850R server with Windows 2000, and a Compaq TL891 series robotic library. I am looking for several ...

  1. TapeAlert questions and configuration

    I'm trying to find out how to configure a backup system to utilize
    TapeAlert.

    We have NB DC 3.4.1 running on a Compaq 1850R server with Windows 2000, and
    a Compaq TL891 series robotic library.

    I am looking for several things. The first is information about TapeAlert
    itself. I found two Veritas Knowledgebase articles, and another article on
    the Internet. However, I still have questions about what it does and does
    not do. If anyone can point me to some more information about TapeAlert,
    especially articles that provide examples of how it works, it may help with
    a lot of my confusion.

    Two specific questions I have are;

    1) Do I need to enable TapeAlert on the robotic library? Compaq's support
    has been difficult to work with in answering this question. I noticed that
    there is a "Special Configuration" option in the libarary menu, and it
    includes a item called "TapeAlert Mode", with several specific options. The
    default option is "Logging Disabled". I'm hoping that someone has run across
    this problem and has an answer.

    2) Assuming that TapeAlert is (or can be) enabled on the library -
    Auto-clean is disabled on the library by default. Do I need to change this
    so that the library cleans the drive, and NetBackup simply get notified when
    a drive is cleaned? Does the Media Manager handle the cleaning of the drive,
    in a manner similar to frequency-based cleaning? Or is it something else
    entirely?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: TapeAlert questions and configuration

    > 1) Do I need to enable TapeAlert on the robotic library?

    autoclean should be disabled
    check the firmware level of the drives and librairy ,tapealert is depend to
    the firmware level

    Compaq's support
    > has been difficult to work with in answering this question. I noticed that
    > there is a "Special Configuration" option in the libarary menu, and it
    > includes a item called "TapeAlert Mode", with several specific options.

    The
    > default option is "Logging Disabled". I'm hoping that someone has run

    across
    > this problem and has an answer.

    I did not know about this option to me it looks like it concern the logging
    (verbosity of tapealert )

    > 2) Assuming that TapeAlert is (or can be) enabled on the library -
    > Auto-clean is disabled on the library by default. Do I need to change this
    > so that the library cleans the drive, and NetBackup simply get notified

    when
    > a drive is cleaned?

    as such your configuration is perfect for tapelert cleaning management

    Does the Media Manager handle the cleaning of the drive,
    > in a manner similar to frequency-based cleaning? Or is it something else
    > entirely?

    It is the quiet the same method except freq based cleaning is based on an
    arbitrairy number whereas tapealert will send a flag on the scsi bus which
    netbackup will pickup and launch the cleaning when required ...

+ Reply to Thread