bpend/bpstart_notify in a multi-streamed class: doubles! - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on bpend/bpstart_notify in a multi-streamed class: doubles! - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello. While backing up a NT server today from my steadfast Solaris enterprise NBU 3.4 Master, I realized that my bpstart and bpend_notify.bat scripts on the target client were firing off for each multi-streamed job. Ugh! I had a simple ...

  1. bpend/bpstart_notify in a multi-streamed class: doubles!

    Hello.

    While backing up a NT server today from my steadfast Solaris enterprise NBU
    3.4 Master, I realized that my bpstart and bpend_notify.bat scripts on the
    target client were firing off for each multi-streamed job. Ugh!
    I had a simple script.... net whateverservice stopin the bpstart
    and net whateverservice start in the bpend. However, I did put in the NT
    logevent.exe (NT4reskit) and customized an event log to verify both bpend
    and bpstarts were triggering.

    To my surprise I realized I had just too many event logs forthe same test
    backup. In my class, I have backup all local drives selected with multi-streaming.
    The target system has two logical volumes C:\ D:\ My result is that bpend
    and bpstart are triggering off for each volume. Not good.

    I want the script to fire off once each but still retain multi-streaming.
    HELP! Anyone down this road before and no of a solution(s).

    JCs

  2. Re: bpend/bpstart_notify in a multi-streamed class: doubles!

    Hi there.

    Have had the same problem shutting down an Oracle database before backup.
    The only solution I could find was to eliminate multi stream.

    This was the advice I got from Tech support.
    If you find a better solution please let me know.

    Cheers
    "JCS" wrote in message

    > Hello.
    >
    > While backing up a NT server today from my steadfast Solaris enterprise

    NBU
    > 3.4 Master, I realized that my bpstart and bpend_notify.bat scripts on the
    > target client were firing off for each multi-streamed job. Ugh!
    > I had a simple script.... net whateverservice stopin the bpstart
    > and net whateverservice start in the bpend. However, I did put in the NT
    > logevent.exe (NT4reskit) and customized an event log to verify both bpend
    > and bpstarts were triggering.
    >
    > To my surprise I realized I had just too many event logs forthe same test
    > backup. In my class, I have backup all local drives selected with

    multi-streaming.
    > The target system has two logical volumes C:\ D:\ My result is that

    bpend
    > and bpstart are triggering off for each volume. Not good.
    >
    > I want the script to fire off once each but still retain multi-streaming.
    > HELP! Anyone down this road before and no of a solution(s).
    >
    > JCs

  3. Re: bpend/bpstart_notify in a multi-streamed class: doubles!

    This can be accomplished pretty easily by having the inital stream check for
    the existince of a lock file. If not create one and then shutdown the
    database.

    When the other streams come in have them check for the lock file. If it
    exists just exit the script.

    In the bpend_notify have them remove the lock file if it exists.

    "JCS" wrote in message

    > Hello.
    >
    > While backing up a NT server today from my steadfast Solaris enterprise

    NBU
    > 3.4 Master, I realized that my bpstart and bpend_notify.bat scripts on the
    > target client were firing off for each multi-streamed job. Ugh!
    > I had a simple script.... net whateverservice stopin the bpstart
    > and net whateverservice start in the bpend. However, I did put in the NT
    > logevent.exe (NT4reskit) and customized an event log to verify both bpend
    > and bpstarts were triggering.
    >
    > To my surprise I realized I had just too many event logs forthe same test
    > backup. In my class, I have backup all local drives selected with

    multi-streaming.
    > The target system has two logical volumes C:\ D:\ My result is that

    bpend
    > and bpstart are triggering off for each volume. Not good.
    >
    > I want the script to fire off once each but still retain multi-streaming.
    > HELP! Anyone down this road before and no of a solution(s).
    >
    > JCs

+ Reply to Thread