Status Code 213 NBDC using NT 4.0 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Status Code 213 NBDC using NT 4.0 - Veritas Net Backup ; Need some insight: One of my admins was troubleshooting an status code 213 and decided to run a repair of the NBDC 3.4 client. The problem was that this is a Media Server and I though he should of run ...

  1. Status Code 213 NBDC using NT 4.0

    Need some insight: One of my admins was troubleshooting an status code 213
    and decided to run a repair of the NBDC 3.4 client. The problem was that
    this is a Media Server and I though he should of run the Media Server repair.
    Anyways, we uninstalled the software and reinstall as a Media Server. We
    continually get an error in Event Viewer stating the NetBackup Volume Manager
    failed to start due to a server specific error code1. When we check the
    services the Device Manager service will start and then stop. From the master
    server under Configure Server. We have selected the server in question and
    try to look at the properties and it states bad network connection do you
    wish to read the rest of hosts. From the media server I'm able to go into
    the Wizard and choose configure robots. It recognizes the Master server
    and it's drives, restart the services on that server and finishes. We have
    a SAN with a Compaq DLT3160 Tape Library. We have one Master Server and
    several Media Servers. The Tape library is attached to an Fibre-Channel
    Tape Controller which is connected to the SAN. This allows for multiple
    servers to see the robot as attached to themselves. The master server accepts/or
    denies requests from the Media servers when they request to do backups.

    I looked through the Admin guide, the Tech Notes, etc and haven't founf a
    valid answer to this issue. We haven't installed or added any patches since
    we first configured this in Oct 2000, In fact it's been working like a charm
    until the software was reinstalled. Any help would be appreciated

  2. Re: Status Code 213 NBDC using NT 4.0

    Steps (I will assume it is in a SSO environement )
    - Remove the robot and the tape from each master and media servers (the
    master or scan host should be done the last )
    - Device manager service should be stopped on all the servers but media
    manager should be running on all the media|master server (I will make some
    search about the service specific error )
    - Then configure the robot and the drive on the master ,I prefer to do it
    manually because the wizard does not allocate properly the drive order
    (drive 1 &2 etc...)
    when doing it manually note the serial number of the drive and the order
    1,2,etc...
    - Use robtest to figure if the drive are in the correct order for the master
    drive
    ../volmgr/bin/robtest
    m s1 d1
    m s2 d2
    m s3 d3
    then
    unload d1
    unload d2
    unload d3
    - when all those tests have been conclusive 9ie without the device manager
    service stopping ) go into configuring SSO
    - remove the drives previously configured on the master server (stop and
    start device manager )
    - add the robot for each media server (stating that the robot is controlled
    by a remote host ie the master server )
    - actions --->new multihosted drive
    drive in robotic
    drive number 1
    shared host add the master browse for the device path to be used and take
    the serial number you precedently wrote on a piece of paper
    then add the other media servers with the same drive serial number on all
    the host
    - Make sure at the end of the configuration window you select check
    configuration

    if it does not work post the even logs application from master and medias
    server
    Have you used nt backup to find out if from each media server you can write
    to the tape ?

    "jscarbro" wrote in message

    > Need some insight: One of my admins was troubleshooting an status code

    213
    > and decided to run a repair of the NBDC 3.4 client. The problem was that
    > this is a Media Server and I though he should of run the Media Server

    repair.
    > Anyways, we uninstalled the software and reinstall as a Media Server. We
    > continually get an error in Event Viewer stating the NetBackup Volume

    Manager
    > failed to start due to a server specific error code1. When we check the
    > services the Device Manager service will start and then stop. From the

    master
    > server under Configure Server. We have selected the server in question

    and
    > try to look at the properties and it states bad network connection do you
    > wish to read the rest of hosts. From the media server I'm able to go into
    > the Wizard and choose configure robots. It recognizes the Master server
    > and it's drives, restart the services on that server and finishes. We

    have
    > a SAN with a Compaq DLT3160 Tape Library. We have one Master Server and
    > several Media Servers. The Tape library is attached to an Fibre-Channel
    > Tape Controller which is connected to the SAN. This allows for multiple
    > servers to see the robot as attached to themselves. The master server

    accepts/or
    > denies requests from the Media servers when they request to do backups.
    >
    > I looked through the Admin guide, the Tech Notes, etc and haven't founf a
    > valid answer to this issue. We haven't installed or added any patches

    since
    > we first configured this in Oct 2000, In fact it's been working like a

    charm
    > until the software was reinstalled. Any help would be appreciated

+ Reply to Thread