migrate to unix - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on migrate to unix - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, Does anyone has move netbackup 3.2GA from NT server to Solaris on Sparc platform. I would like to be able to move the backup policies and catalog indexes so that I will be able to restore with the old ...

  1. migrate to unix

    Hi,

    Does anyone has move netbackup 3.2GA from NT server to Solaris on Sparc
    platform. I would like to be able to move the backup policies and
    catalog indexes so that I will be able to restore with the old tapes on
    the new system. Please advise.

    Thanks for your help in advance.

    Anandha

  2. Re: migrate to unix

    I believe you will have to consult with Veritas support.
    You have at least 2 problems:
    - restoring the catalogue to a machine with a different name (Support can help you)
    - restoring the catalogue to a different machine type - you may be stuck here.
    There are very few non-ASCII files in the database but there are some and
    they will likely cause you trouble.
    If you do get help from support, I'd like to know what they recommend.

    Anandha Krishnan wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone has move netbackup 3.2GA from NT server to Solaris on Sparc
    > platform. I would like to be able to move the backup policies and
    > catalog indexes so that I will be able to restore with the old tapes on
    > the new system. Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks for your help in advance.
    >
    > Anandha

  3. Re: migrate to unix

    The only sure way to do this that I know of, having experimented a bit, is
    to import the backup tapes that you want to restore from.
    This is a slow and tedious process, but it's the only way I know of to
    properly create the volume database.
    As Michel said, the images files are all ascii and perhaps can be moved ok,
    but the mediaDB and volDB files are binary and are not compatible.

    "Michel" wrote in message
    > I believe you will have to consult with Veritas support.
    > You have at least 2 problems:
    > - restoring the catalogue to a machine with a different name (Support

    can help you)
    > - restoring the catalogue to a different machine type - you may be stuck

    here.
    > There are very few non-ASCII files in the database but there are some

    and
    > they will likely cause you trouble.
    > If you do get help from support, I'd like to know what they recommend.
    >
    > Anandha Krishnan wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Does anyone has move netbackup 3.2GA from NT server to Solaris on Sparc
    > > platform. I would like to be able to move the backup policies and
    > > catalog indexes so that I will be able to restore with the old tapes on
    > > the new system. Please advise.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help in advance.
    > >
    > > Anandha

+ Reply to Thread