Anyone used this type of Library & drives... - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Anyone used this type of Library & drives... - Veritas Net Backup ; I am using HP SureStore 2/20 with 2 x Ultrium tape drives, NetBackup 4.3.1. So far not a lot of success. The library is configured as TLD and drives as hcart. Every backup job seems to either hang, which requires ...

  1. Anyone used this type of Library & drives...

    I am using HP SureStore 2/20 with 2 x Ultrium tape drives, NetBackup 4.3.1.

    So far not a lot of success. The library is configured as TLD and drives as
    hcart. Every backup job seems to either hang, which requires a reboot of
    the library, or simply fails with unspecified errors. Performance is not
    consistent either. All up to date firmware has been applied to the library
    together with the latest Ultrium drivers from Veritas.

    We have had a Veritas technician on site for a day and his opinion was that
    the problems were more than likely due to a driver issue due to the newness
    of the Ultrium drives.

    If anyone has a similar configuration I would appreciate your comments.

    Regards
    David Johnson

  2. Re: Anyone used this type of Library & drives...

    Hi David i have a ultrium LTO system and what i have found out is to use the
    HP LTO drivers rather than the Veritas ones. Also look to see if your having
    conflicts with RSM if your on win2K.

    "David Johnson" wrote:
    >I am using HP SureStore 2/20 with 2 x Ultrium tape drives, NetBackup 4.3.1.
    >
    >So far not a lot of success. The library is configured as TLD and drives

    as
    >hcart. Every backup job seems to either hang, which requires a reboot of
    >the library, or simply fails with unspecified errors. Performance is not
    >consistent either. All up to date firmware has been applied to the library
    >together with the latest Ultrium drivers from Veritas.
    >
    >We have had a Veritas technician on site for a day and his opinion was that
    >the problems were more than likely due to a driver issue due to the newness
    >of the Ultrium drives.
    >
    >If anyone has a similar configuration I would appreciate your comments.
    >
    >Regards
    >David Johnson

  3. Re: Anyone used this type of Library & drives...

    > Hi David i have a ultrium LTO system and what i have found out is to use
    the
    > HP LTO drivers rather than the Veritas ones. Also look to see if your

    having
    > conflicts with RSM if your on win2K.

    Agreed. Also get the latest firmware (I believe it was released about two
    weeks ago...apologies if you already have it...I forget the rev #) as it
    fixes some issues with the LTOs. There is a new patch as well for NT/2000
    from Veritas. Do a search for 341_1 in the patch area on Veritas' site.

    We have Windows RSM disabled. StorageTek, HP and Veritas recommended we do
    this as the OS tries to fight with the NB software for control of the
    device.

    What kind of connection is going to your backup server? Ours is Fiber and
    the configuration for the fiber card kept resetting thus causing the tapes
    to re-ordered on the servers. Once the fiber card settings were made
    persistent, the problem went away.

    My config is an HP 20/700 populated with 2 DLTs and 8 LTOs controlled by
    Win2000 servers.

    > "David Johnson" wrote:
    > >I am using HP SureStore 2/20 with 2 x Ultrium tape drives, NetBackup

    4.3.1.

    > >So far not a lot of success. The library is configured as TLD and drives

    > as
    > >hcart. Every backup job seems to either hang, which requires a reboot of
    > >the library, or simply fails with unspecified errors. Performance is not
    > >consistent either. All up to date firmware has been applied to the

    library
    > >together with the latest Ultrium drivers from Veritas.
    > >
    > >We have had a Veritas technician on site for a day and his opinion was

    that
    > >the problems were more than likely due to a driver issue due to the

    newness
    > >of the Ultrium drives.
    > >
    > >If anyone has a similar configuration I would appreciate your comments.
    > >
    > >Regards
    > >David Johnson

+ Reply to Thread