I Need Help with a Novell Client - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on I Need Help with a Novell Client - Veritas Net Backup ; I am running NBU 3.41 on a media server (Win2K) connected across a WAN to a master server that is running some flavor of unix (2000 miles away). The client is a Novell server (4.1x) that is giving me fits. ...

  1. I Need Help with a Novell Client

    I am running NBU 3.41 on a media server (Win2K) connected across a WAN
    to a master server that is running some flavor of unix (2000 miles
    away). The client is a Novell server (4.1x) that is giving me fits.
    When the class starts or I start a manual backup from the NBU admin,
    the backup runs quite well. But, I can't get it to restore. I get a 58
    error on the activity monitor and a window that says the server
    returned error 23). I have been told by various NBU "gurus" that it is
    an IP problem with the client and the Novell people (not tech
    support) say the problem is on the NBU side. TCP/IP is running on the
    client (it was even used as our DHCP server at one time). I can ping
    the media server but not the master. DNS lists all players and there
    are host files also listing all players on all machines.

    When starting a user initiated backup from the client I get a "network
    unreachable" error when pointed at the master server and a "connection
    refused" when pointed at the media server. I have tried using both the
    admin logon and my own logon (full access to the root), but get the
    same errors. In the logs I see a "cannot connect to socket" error.

    I am having to keep Legato running just to back up this pup.

    TIA
    Rich

  2. Re: I Need Help with a Novell Client

    wrote in message
    news:3b585140.343253232@news.support.veritas.com.. .
    > I am running NBU 3.41 on a media server (Win2K) connected across a WAN
    > to a master server that is running some flavor of unix (2000 miles
    > away). The client is a Novell server (4.1x) that is giving me fits.
    > When the class starts or I start a manual backup from the NBU admin,
    > the backup runs quite well. But, I can't get it to restore. I get a 58
    > error on the activity monitor and a window that says the server
    > returned error 23). I have been told by various NBU "gurus" that it is
    > an IP problem with the client and the Novell people (not tech
    > support) say the problem is on the NBU side.

    from the master|media
    bpclntcmd -ip x.x.x.x (of the netware client )
    bpclntcmd -hn hostname (of the netware client )

    TCP/IP is running on the
    > client (it was even used as our DHCP server at one time). I can ping
    > the media server but not the master. DNS lists all players and there
    > are host files also listing all players on all machines.

    FQDN or short hostname ,already you have a major issue that you can not ping
    your master by ip or hosname ?

    > When starting a user initiated backup from the client I get a "network
    > unreachable" error when pointed at the master server and a "connection
    > refused" when pointed at the media server.

    on the media server
    bp.conf
    SERVER = clientname

    el zorro

  3. Re: I Need Help with a Novell Client

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:13:21 +0100, "Zorro"
    wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >news:3b585140.343253232@news.support.veritas.com.. .
    >> I am running NBU 3.41 on a media server (Win2K) connected across a WAN
    >> to a master server that is running some flavor of unix (2000 miles
    >> away). The client is a Novell server (4.1x) that is giving me fits.
    >> When the class starts or I start a manual backup from the NBU admin,
    >> the backup runs quite well. But, I can't get it to restore. I get a 58
    >> error on the activity monitor and a window that says the server
    >> returned error 23). I have been told by various NBU "gurus" that it is
    >> an IP problem with the client and the Novell people (not tech
    >> support) say the problem is on the NBU side.

    >from the master|media
    >bpclntcmd -ip x.x.x.x (of the netware client )
    >bpclntcmd -hn hostname (of the netware client )

    Found this one earlier today. It works both ways from the media
    server. I don't have access to the master except by phone call to the
    admin there.

    >TCP/IP is running on the
    >> client (it was even used as our DHCP server at one time). I can ping
    >> the media server but not the master. DNS lists all players and there
    >> are host files also listing all players on all machines.

    >FQDN or short hostname ,already you have a major issue that you can not ping
    >your master by ip or hosname ?

    Neither is successful.

    >> When starting a user initiated backup from the client I get a "network
    >> unreachable" error when pointed at the master server and a "connection
    >> refused" when pointed at the media server.

    >on the media server
    >bp.conf
    >SERVER = clientname

    I'm not sure what you mean on this one.

    >el zorro

    Thanks for replying.
    Rich

  4. Re: I Need Help with a Novell Client

    > >FQDN or short hostname ,already you have a major issue that you can not

    ping
    > >your master by ip or hosname ?

    > Neither is successful.

    by hostname (short or long) or ip address ?
    if by Ip address it does not work you will have no chance to use netbackup
    on this client (most communication going through the master server )
    which explains network unreachable = networking issue
    route from A to B impossible to be used

    > >> When starting a user initiated backup from the client I get a "network
    > >> unreachable" error when pointed at the master server and a "connection
    > >> refused" when pointed at the media server.

    > >on the media server
    > >bp.conf
    > >SERVER = clientname
    > >

    > I'm not sure what you mean on this one.

    reduce to the strict minimu your netbackup configuration file
    /usr/openv/netbackup/netbackup.conf
    the strict minimum being three line
    @ client
    SERVER = master (hostname)
    SERVER = media
    CLIENT_NAME = hostname

    @master
    SERVER = master (hostname)
    SERVER = media
    CLIENT_NAME = hostname

    @ media
    SERVER = master (hostname)
    SERVER = media
    CLIENT_NAME = hostname

    el zorro

  5. Re: I Need Help with a Novell Client

    Thanks for the help. It turns out all it needed was a static route set
    up on the Novell servers pointing at the masters's net. I always
    ignore the easy answers thinking it is more complicated. OH WELL

    Thanks a lot
    Rich

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:05:03 +0100, "Zorro"
    wrote:

    >> >FQDN or short hostname ,already you have a major issue that you can not

    >ping
    >> >your master by ip or hosname ?

    >> Neither is successful.

    >by hostname (short or long) or ip address ?
    >if by Ip address it does not work you will have no chance to use netbackup
    >on this client (most communication going through the master server )
    >which explains network unreachable = networking issue
    >route from A to B impossible to be used

    >> >on the media server
    >> >bp.conf
    >> >SERVER = clientname
    >> >

    >> I'm not sure what you mean on this one.

    >reduce to the strict minimu your netbackup configuration file
    >/usr/openv/netbackup/netbackup.conf
    >the strict minimum being three line
    >@ client
    >SERVER = master (hostname)