Netbackup Global Data Manager - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup Global Data Manager - Veritas Net Backup ; Since I can't find a newsgroup for GDM, I post my question here and hope someone can give me information. We want to itroduce Netbackup in about 250 different sites of our company. It's going to be a mix of ...

  1. Netbackup Global Data Manager

    Since I can't find a newsgroup for GDM, I post my question here and hope someone
    can give me information.

    We want to itroduce Netbackup in about 250 different sites of our company.
    It's going to be a mix of Datacenter and BusinesServers backing op W2k's
    AD, SMS, Exchange 2000, QIP and a W2k MS Cluster for file and printing in
    the smaller ones and additional Oracle, SAP, ... in the larger ones.
    Each site shall have a tape library.

    We have global backup policies and backup management will be centralized.
    Deployment will not be done by me. Restores are not yet in the scope of
    the project.

    Is this kind of setup manageable with GDM ?
    Has anyone expirience with this kind/size of setup ?
    What's the manpower you have dedicated for the operational tasks (monitor/restart
    backups, library and drives) ?

    Please give me as much information as possible.

    Thank,
    Luc

  2. Re: Netbackup Global Data Manager

    Luc: we have deployed Veritas NBDC around the U.S. as well as in several countries
    overseas. We are still in the process of deploying Veritas in more sites
    globally. As for GDM, I have tested it and it has some good features. However,
    one thing that it lacks is multithreading. It cannot multitask between modules.
    You cannot export or print any of the reports, it is a memory hog running
    on the admin client machine, etc. Professionally speaking, wait until the
    next version of NBDC v4.5 to review GDM. It is being re-written. It was a
    third party product purchased by Veritas and incorporated into NBDC. My advise
    is to test it yourself and make your own decision. It is a great concept,
    but it is not ready yet for the prime-time Enterprise world. You will be
    better of using the base GUI features and accomplishing more this way for
    now...:-)

    "Luc Vanparijs" wrote:

    >Since I can't find a newsgroup for GDM, I post my question here and hope

    someone
    >can give me information.
    >
    >We want to itroduce Netbackup in about 250 different sites of our company.
    >It's going to be a mix of Datacenter and BusinesServers backing op W2k's
    >AD, SMS, Exchange 2000, QIP and a W2k MS Cluster for file and printing in
    >the smaller ones and additional Oracle, SAP, ... in the larger ones.
    >Each site shall have a tape library.
    >
    >We have global backup policies and backup management will be centralized.
    > Deployment will not be done by me. Restores are not yet in the scope of
    >the project.
    >
    >Is this kind of setup manageable with GDM ?
    >Has anyone expirience with this kind/size of setup ?
    >What's the manpower you have dedicated for the operational tasks (monitor/restart
    >backups, library and drives) ?
    >
    >Please give me as much information as possible.
    >
    >Thank,
    >Luc

+ Reply to Thread