Java GUI - and file restores - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Java GUI - and file restores - Veritas Net Backup ; I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the restore /backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out on some and I can select to change it on others ...

  1. Java GUI - and file restores

    I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the restore
    /backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out on some
    and I can select to change it on others - the only difference I think is
    on the client but I cannot figure out what access / security is needed on
    the client that has the Java front end loaded , Anyone seen this ? Whats
    the fix ? Help ?
    Peter.

  2. Re: Java GUI - and file restores

    you can just type over with the client name and you will be able to use the
    restore/backup features

    "Pete" wrote in message news:3ac9cdc6$1@hronntp01....

    > I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the

    restore
    > /backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out on

    some
    > and I can select to change it on others - the only difference I think is
    > on the client but I cannot figure out what access / security is needed on
    > the client that has the Java front end loaded , Anyone seen this ? Whats
    > the fix ? Help ?
    > Peter.

  3. Re: Java GUI - and file restores

    Thanks Stuart but what I mean is the box for destination server is grayed
    out and inaccessable . even though I have set ADMIN=ALL
    Peter.

    "stuart chapman" wrote:
    >you can just type over with the client name and you will be able to use

    the
    >restore/backup features
    >
    >"Pete" wrote in message news:3ac9cdc6$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the

    >restore
    >> /backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out on

    >some
    >> and I can select to change it on others - the only difference I think

    is
    >> on the client but I cannot figure out what access / security is needed

    on
    >> the client that has the Java front end loaded , Anyone seen this ? Whats
    >> the fix ? Help ?
    >> Peter.

  4. Re: Java GUI - and file restores

    Peter,
    Are all the current levels of patching on the clients?
    Is this a database extension/agent server your running the Java GUI from?
    When you go into the Master server and go to the class that has this server
    in it, click on that server and right mouse click and see if you can poll
    that server from the master.

    I have seen sometimes that if you dont have all the patches installed, sometimes
    a client will not talk to the master or visa versa. You can run bpcltcmd
    on the client to see if it sees the master server.

    If you have any questions, please let me know?

    Chris
    "Peter" wrote:

    >Thanks Stuart but what I mean is the box for destination server is grayed
    >out and inaccessable . even though I have set ADMIN=ALL
    >Peter.
    >

    >"stuart chapman" wrote:
    >>you can just type over with the client name and you will be able to use

    >the
    >>restore/backup features
    >>
    >>"Pete" wrote in message news:3ac9cdc6$1@hronntp01....
    >>>
    >>> I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the

    >>restore
    >>> /backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out

    on
    >>some
    >>> and I can select to change it on others - the only difference I think

    >is
    >>> on the client but I cannot figure out what access / security is needed

    >on
    >>> the client that has the Java front end loaded , Anyone seen this ? Whats
    >>> the fix ? Help ?
    >>> Peter.

  5. Re: Java GUI - and file restores

    I am having the same problem...There is no way to change the dest. client.
    Did you ever find a solution?

    "Pete" wrote:

    >I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the restore
    >/backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out on

    some
    >and I can select to change it on others - the only difference I think is
    >on the client but I cannot figure out what access / security is needed on
    >the client that has the Java front end loaded , Anyone seen this ? Whats
    >the fix ? Help ?
    >Peter.

  6. Re: Java GUI - and file restores

    Have you got alternate client restore enabled? This is the only time when
    you could specify a different destination client to restore to. By default,
    it will restore to the local box.

    Chris

    kevin wrote in message <3ad35115@hronntp01.>...

    >I am having the same problem...There is no way to change the dest. client.
    >Did you ever find a solution?
    >
    >"Pete" wrote:
    >>
    >>I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the

    restore
    >>/backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out on

    >some
    >>and I can select to change it on others - the only difference I think is
    >>on the client but I cannot figure out what access / security is needed on
    >>the client that has the Java front end loaded , Anyone seen this ? Whats
    >>the fix ? Help ?
    >>Peter.

  7. Re: Java GUI - and file restores

    Kevin & Pete -

    I recently saw the same problem at my location. Both seemed to have something
    to do with the Host Name entry upon Java login window...

    One situation was IP address was used rather than name, as well I saw the
    same problem when the hostname was not fully qualified or entered in ALL
    CAPS. Perhaps you can fiddle with that entry upon login...

    "kevin" wrote:

    >I am having the same problem...There is no way to change the dest. client.
    >Did you ever find a solution?
    >
    >"Pete" wrote:
    >>
    >>I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the restore
    >>/backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out on

    >some
    >>and I can select to change it on others - the only difference I think is
    >>on the client but I cannot figure out what access / security is needed

    on
    >>the client that has the Java front end loaded , Anyone seen this ? Whats
    >>the fix ? Help ?
    >>Peter.

  8. Re: Java GUI - and file restores

    There is a way around this dilemna. I have been told by Veritas on how to
    work around this issue.

    Chris

    "Tom Young" wrote:

    >Kevin & Pete -
    >
    >I recently saw the same problem at my location. Both seemed to have something
    >to do with the Host Name entry upon Java login window...
    >
    >One situation was IP address was used rather than name, as well I saw the
    >same problem when the hostname was not fully qualified or entered in ALL
    >CAPS. Perhaps you can fiddle with that entry upon login...
    >

    >"kevin" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am having the same problem...There is no way to change the dest. client.
    >>Did you ever find a solution?
    >>
    >>"Pete" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the restore
    >>>/backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out on

    >>some
    >>>and I can select to change it on others - the only difference I think

    is
    >>>on the client but I cannot figure out what access / security is needed

    >on
    >>>the client that has the Java front end loaded , Anyone seen this ? Whats
    >>>the fix ? Help ?
    >>>Peter.

  9. Re: Java GUI - and file restores

    Pete,

    I have the same problem. The Java client was installed unattended
    using a saved answer file for the Install Shield setup program. In our
    case, also the button 'Preview media required' was not available in
    the Java Interface.
    When deinstalled and reinstalled manually from the same source
    directory the button was there, and the destination client was
    selectable!
    Tried again, unattended install with the just-recorded setup.iss file
    gave me a gray 'destination client' and no 'preview media' button. So
    to me it looks as if it has to do with our unattended install.

    Commands used to record an answer file:

    setup -r

    Command used to do the unattended install of the Java Client:

    setup -s -SMS -f1 setup.iss -f2 c:\Temp\NB34Java.log

    Grtx Ben van Zanten

    On 3 Apr 2001 08:19:02 -0500, "Pete" wrote:

    >I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the restore
    >/backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out on some
    >and I can select to change it on others - the only difference I think is
    >on the client but I cannot figure out what access / security is needed on
    >the client that has the Java front end loaded , Anyone seen this ? Whats
    >the fix ? Help ?
    >Peter.

  10. Re: Java GUI - and file restores

    You are correct i was using the ip for a hostname. once
    I used the master server name it worked fine thanks

    "Tom Young" wrote:

    >Kevin & Pete -
    >
    >I recently saw the same problem at my location. Both seemed to have something
    >to do with the Host Name entry upon Java login window...
    >
    >One situation was IP address was used rather than name, as well I saw the
    >same problem when the hostname was not fully qualified or entered in ALL
    >CAPS. Perhaps you can fiddle with that entry upon login...
    >

    >"kevin" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am having the same problem...There is no way to change the dest. client.
    >>Did you ever find a solution?
    >>
    >>"Pete" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the restore
    >>>/backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out on

    >>some
    >>>and I can select to change it on others - the only difference I think

    is
    >>>on the client but I cannot figure out what access / security is needed

    >on
    >>>the client that has the Java front end loaded , Anyone seen this ? Whats
    >>>the fix ? Help ?
    >>>Peter.

  11. Re: Java GUI - and file restores

    I had this issue. Log into the Java GUI and make sure the Host
    Name is lowercase letters. This can be permanently changed;
    explore to C:\Program Files\Veritas\Java (or wherever Veritas
    is installed) and edit the SERVER.vrtsnbuj (where SERVER is the
    master server) file. Edit the HostName value to lowercase
    letters.

    "kevin" wrote:

    >I am having the same problem...There is no way to change the dest. client.
    >Did you ever find a solution?
    >
    >"Pete" wrote:
    >>
    >>I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the restore
    >>/backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out on

    >some
    >>and I can select to change it on others - the only difference I think is
    >>on the client but I cannot figure out what access / security is needed

    on
    >>the client that has the Java front end loaded , Anyone seen this ? Whats
    >>the fix ? Help ?
    >>Peter.

  12. Re: Java GUI - and file restores

    "Peter" wrote:

    >Thanks Stuart but what I mean is the box for destination server is grayed
    >out and inaccessable . even though I have set ADMIN=ALL
    >Peter.
    >

    >"stuart chapman" wrote:
    >>you can just type over with the client name and you will be able to use

    >the
    >>restore/backup features
    >>
    >>"Pete" wrote in message news:3ac9cdc6$1@hronntp01....
    >>>
    >>> I'm using the Java gui on a couple of machines - when I go into the

    >>restore
    >>> /backup screen I cannot select a destination client , its grayed out

    on
    >>some
    >>> and I can select to change it on others - the only difference I think

    >is
    >>> on the client but I cannot figure out what access / security is needed

    >on
    >>> the client that has the Java front end loaded , Anyone seen this ? Whats
    >>> the fix ? Help ?
    >>> Peter.

+ Reply to Thread