Backup clients over T1 or T3 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Backup clients over T1 or T3 - Veritas Net Backup ; I was considering centralizing a ADIC Scalar 1000 Tape Library (Master and Media server) in Toronto since that is where the majority of the backup clients will be located. There will be a few servers both in Montreal and Vancouver ...

  1. Backup clients over T1 or T3

    I was considering centralizing a ADIC Scalar 1000 Tape Library (Master and
    Media server) in Toronto since that is where the majority of the backup clients
    will be located. There will be a few servers both in Montreal and Vancouver
    (around 500 GB of backup data) ... what type of connection would be required
    so the performance isn't brutel? T1? T3 .... obviously the faster the
    better but price is a constraint. Have anyone done such a thing? How do
    you find the backup performance?

  2. Re: Backup clients over T1 or T3

    Vania,

    Very true with your insight on T1 and T3. Unfortunately the speed and performance
    and redundancy of your backbone connection to those sites is imperative that
    they stay connected during your backup window. Otherwise, your backups will
    fail with timeout errors due to retrys thru the network.

    You should invest in the GDM license to globally manage those servers in
    those remote locations so you only need to configure them at your central
    site.

    Any questions, contact me...

    Chris
    chrisam@rocketmail.com

    "Vania" wrote:

    >I was considering centralizing a ADIC Scalar 1000 Tape Library (Master and
    >Media server) in Toronto since that is where the majority of the backup

    clients
    >will be located. There will be a few servers both in Montreal and Vancouver
    >(around 500 GB of backup data) ... what type of connection would be required
    >so the performance isn't brutel? T1? T3 .... obviously the faster the
    >better but price is a constraint. Have anyone done such a thing? How do
    >you find the backup performance?

+ Reply to Thread