Exchange and NB 3.4 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Exchange and NB 3.4 - Veritas Net Backup ; I need some help in configuring the exchange portion of Netbackup Datacenter. I want to ensure I backup some important mailboxes and dont quite understand the ADMIN guide....

  1. Exchange and NB 3.4

    I need some help in configuring the exchange portion of Netbackup Datacenter.
    I want to ensure I backup some important mailboxes and dont quite understand
    the ADMIN guide.

  2. Re: Exchange and NB 3.4

    David

    The backup of MSX is fairly straight forward. Once you have installed the
    connect agent then you can create a MS-Exchange class to backup the
    Information store and directory etc.

    Mailbox backups required the NBU Client service to run in a user account
    which has an active mailbox and also privileges over everything you want it
    to backup. Create this user and mailbox and set required privileges.
    On the master server, under "configure netbackup", expand the client and
    edit the properties. There is an Exchange tab. On here there is a tick box
    that says something like "User name for mailbox backup". Just check this
    and put in the mailbox name.

    Now create a schedule to backup you mailboxes. On file list I think there
    is a Mailbox directive. Unfortunately you have to specify the mailbox name
    of every mailbox you want to backup.

    This is how I have done it for MSX 5.5. For Exchange 2000, you required the
    559 patch from the web site. Unfortuately, this has been withdrawn along
    with support for MSX 2K pending the latest patch release.

    Chris

    David wrote in message <3a8c3ad6$1@hronntp01.>...

    >I need some help in configuring the exchange portion of Netbackup

    Datacenter.
    > I want to ensure I backup some important mailboxes and dont quite

    understand
    >the ADMIN guide.

  3. Re: Exchange and NB 3.4

    David,
    Give me a call and I will go over what you need to do to configure the exchange
    mailbox backup. The directions in the manual are not straight forward and
    require some guidance.

    Chris
    chrisam@rocketmail.com
    "David" wrote:

    >I need some help in configuring the exchange portion of Netbackup Datacenter.
    > I want to ensure I backup some important mailboxes and dont quite understand
    >the ADMIN guide.

  4. Re: Exchange and NB 3.4

    good grief... what happens if a user leaves the company.. we use netbackup
    for unix and nt and not exchange... we are thinking of switching from
    backup exec to netbackup, but i am seeing a lot of issues with
    netbackup/exchange. how is it managable to do the individual mailbox
    backups in a large company that has a lot of employee changes??

    "Chris Holloway" wrote in message
    > David
    >
    > The backup of MSX is fairly straight forward. Once you have installed the
    > connect agent then you can create a MS-Exchange class to backup the
    > Information store and directory etc.
    >
    > Mailbox backups required the NBU Client service to run in a user account
    > which has an active mailbox and also privileges over everything you want

    it
    > to backup. Create this user and mailbox and set required privileges.
    > On the master server, under "configure netbackup", expand the client and
    > edit the properties. There is an Exchange tab. On here there is a tick

    box
    > that says something like "User name for mailbox backup". Just check this
    > and put in the mailbox name.
    >
    > Now create a schedule to backup you mailboxes. On file list I think there
    > is a Mailbox directive. Unfortunately you have to specify the mailbox

    name
    > of every mailbox you want to backup.
    >
    > This is how I have done it for MSX 5.5. For Exchange 2000, you required

    the
    > 559 patch from the web site. Unfortuately, this has been withdrawn along
    > with support for MSX 2K pending the latest patch release.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > David wrote in message <3a8c3ad6$1@hronntp01.>...
    > >
    > >I need some help in configuring the exchange portion of Netbackup

    > Datacenter.
    > > I want to ensure I backup some important mailboxes and dont quite

    > understand
    > >the ADMIN guide.

  5. Re: Exchange and NB 3.4

    Freda,
    What is the question? Please define the questions that you want resolved
    or answered in this forum. Im sure they are numerous and very complex, but
    all of us here are willing and able to answer whatever might be thrown at
    us.

    You can email me with your specific questions at the email address listed.

    Regards,

    Chris

    chrisam@rocketmail.com

    "Freda Taylor" wrote:
    >good grief... what happens if a user leaves the company.. we use netbackup
    >for unix and nt and not exchange... we are thinking of switching from
    >backup exec to netbackup, but i am seeing a lot of issues with
    >netbackup/exchange. how is it managable to do the individual mailbox
    >backups in a large company that has a lot of employee changes??
    >

    >"Chris Holloway" wrote in message
    >> David
    >>
    >> The backup of MSX is fairly straight forward. Once you have installed

    the
    >> connect agent then you can create a MS-Exchange class to backup the
    >> Information store and directory etc.
    >>
    >> Mailbox backups required the NBU Client service to run in a user account
    >> which has an active mailbox and also privileges over everything you want

    >it
    >> to backup. Create this user and mailbox and set required privileges.
    >> On the master server, under "configure netbackup", expand the client and
    >> edit the properties. There is an Exchange tab. On here there is a tick

    >box
    >> that says something like "User name for mailbox backup". Just check this
    >> and put in the mailbox name.
    >>
    >> Now create a schedule to backup you mailboxes. On file list I think there
    >> is a Mailbox directive. Unfortunately you have to specify the mailbox

    >name
    >> of every mailbox you want to backup.
    >>
    >> This is how I have done it for MSX 5.5. For Exchange 2000, you required

    >the
    >> 559 patch from the web site. Unfortuately, this has been withdrawn along
    >> with support for MSX 2K pending the latest patch release.
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>
    >> David wrote in message <3a8c3ad6$1@hronntp01.>...
    >> >
    >> >I need some help in configuring the exchange portion of Netbackup

    >> Datacenter.
    >> > I want to ensure I backup some important mailboxes and dont quite

    >> understand
    >> >the ADMIN guide.

  6. Re: Exchange and NB 3.4

    Please note that you do NOT have to specify the name of each mailbox you want
    to backup, unless you are trying to backup specific ones.

    If you want to backup all your mailboxes individually you just need to add
    the directive 'Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\'

    This is how we are set-up using DataCentre 3.4, NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5

    "Chris" wrote:

    >Freda,
    >What is the question? Please define the questions that you want resolved
    >or answered in this forum. Im sure they are numerous and very complex,

    but
    >all of us here are willing and able to answer whatever might be thrown at
    >us.
    >
    >You can email me with your specific questions at the email address listed.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Chris
    >
    >chrisam@rocketmail.com
    >
    >"Freda Taylor" wrote:
    >>good grief... what happens if a user leaves the company.. we use netbackup
    >>for unix and nt and not exchange... we are thinking of switching from
    >>backup exec to netbackup, but i am seeing a lot of issues with
    >>netbackup/exchange. how is it managable to do the individual mailbox
    >>backups in a large company that has a lot of employee changes??
    >>

    >>"Chris Holloway" wrote in message
    >>> David
    >>>
    >>> The backup of MSX is fairly straight forward. Once you have installed

    >the
    >>> connect agent then you can create a MS-Exchange class to backup the
    >>> Information store and directory etc.
    >>>
    >>> Mailbox backups required the NBU Client service to run in a user account
    >>> which has an active mailbox and also privileges over everything you want

    >>it
    >>> to backup. Create this user and mailbox and set required privileges.
    >>> On the master server, under "configure netbackup", expand the client

    and
    >>> edit the properties. There is an Exchange tab. On here there is a tick

    >>box
    >>> that says something like "User name for mailbox backup". Just check

    this
    >>> and put in the mailbox name.
    >>>
    >>> Now create a schedule to backup you mailboxes. On file list I think

    there
    >>> is a Mailbox directive. Unfortunately you have to specify the mailbox

    >>name
    >>> of every mailbox you want to backup.
    >>>
    >>> This is how I have done it for MSX 5.5. For Exchange 2000, you required

    >>the
    >>> 559 patch from the web site. Unfortuately, this has been withdrawn along
    >>> with support for MSX 2K pending the latest patch release.
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    >>> Datacenter.
    >>> understand

+ Reply to Thread