Re: virtual IP address - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Re: virtual IP address - Veritas Cluster Server ; type in the ip address melanie wrote: > Me, > > I am sorry but I did not get this part: > > !!! > Then in the wizzard you specify the NIC as hme1 and the IP address will ...

  1. Re: virtual IP address

    type in the ip address

    melanie wrote:
    > Me,
    >
    > I am sorry but I did not get this part:
    >
    > !!!
    > Then in the wizzard you specify the NIC as hme1 and the IP address will be
    > 10.1.1.3 (yet not plumbed up anywhere).
    > !!!
    > The wizard lists no virtual IP address even when I click on "discover IP".
    > This is in the network configuration step where I must configure the ip and
    > nic resources for the service group.
    >
    > What should I do to have this virtual IP. You said that VCS will create it
    > but how?
    >
    > thanks a lot for your help
    >
    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>No, the cluster (VCS) will plumb up the IP address on the "live" machine

    >>in the cluster.
    >>
    >>So, say you have the following entries in your hosts file (/etc/hosts)
    >>
    >>machine1 10.1.1.1
    >>machine2 10.1.1.2
    >>nfs-share 10.1.1.3
    >>

    >>Then (say you have an old machine and hme1 on both machines)
    >>
    >>machine1, the /etc/hostname.hme1 will have the following
    >>
    >>machine 1
    >>

    >>and on machine2, the /etc/hostname.hme1
    >>
    >>machine2
    >>

    >>Now, in the VCS wizzard, you setup NFS and they will ask you which NIC.
    >>
    >>Well let's assume there is only 1 NIC (Network Interface Card) on each
    >>machine.
    >>
    >>The in the wizzard you specify the NIC as hme1
    >>
    >>and the IP address will be 10.1.1.3 (yep not plumbed up anywhere).
    >>

    >>After this, as soon as VCS starts up, it will do the NFS share on a
    >>machine (either machine1 or machine2). It will then plumb 10.1.1.3 on
    >>hme1 on the machine where it comes online.
    >>
    >>All the clients will connect to 10.1.1.3 (or if you use teh name -
    >>"nfs-share")
    >>
    >>If anything happens to machine1 (and it was running the NFS share), VCS

    >>will then go and plumb the IP address (10.1.1.3) on machine2.
    >>
    >>That means that all yourr NFS clients will always connect to 10.1.1.3
    >>(even if machine1 or machine2 is actually running the NFS share at that

    >>moment)
    >>

    >>>Hi Me,
    >>>the same IP address must be plumbed on the 2 nodes? without IP conflict?
    >>>the IP address should be publched on dns also?
    >>>
    >>>thanks.

    >>>are

  2. Re: virtual IP address

    I still have the same problem when configuring nfs agent.

    I configured appNIC (NIC resource), appIP (IP resource) , appMultiNICA (multi
    NIC resource), appDG (disk group resource) and assigned them to groupw (Service
    Group)

    The wizard does not show any virtual IP when installing a nfs agent.

    I added in /etc/hosts this line

    172.21.28.31 vc-nfs.uk.siroe.com vc-nfs

    The 2 nodes have 2 private NIC cards:

    e1000g1: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index
    5

    inet 0.0.0.0 netmask ff000000

    ether 0:50:56:81:23:aa

    e1000g2: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index
    6

    inet 0.0.0.0 netmask ff000000

    ether 0:50:56:81:3a:65

    Am I missing something?
    thx

  3. Re: virtual IP address

    ipmultinica

    you've got the mltinic but not the ip that is to go on the multinic

    melanie wrote:
    > I still have the same problem when configuring nfs agent.
    >
    > I configured appNIC (NIC resource), appIP (IP resource) , appMultiNICA (multi
    > NIC resource), appDG (disk group resource) and assigned them to groupw (Service
    > Group)
    >

    > The wizard does not show any virtual IP when installing a nfs agent.
    >

    > I added in /etc/hosts this line
    >
    > 172.21.28.31 vc-nfs.uk.siroe.com vc-nfs
    >

    > The 2 nodes have 2 private NIC cards:
    >

    > e1000g1: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index
    > 5
    >
    > inet 0.0.0.0 netmask ff000000
    >
    > ether 0:50:56:81:23:aa
    >
    > e1000g2: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index
    > 6
    >
    > inet 0.0.0.0 netmask ff000000
    >
    > ether 0:50:56:81:3a:65
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    > thx

  4. Re: virtual IP address

    Me,

    I did this:

    hares -add appMultiNICA MultiNICA groupw
    hares -local appMultiNICA Device
    hares -modify appMultiNICA Enabled 1
    hares -modify appMultiNICA Device e1000g0 172.21.28.31 e1000g1 172.21.28.31
    -sys ken barbie
    hares -modify appMultiNICA NetMask 255.255.255.0
    hares -modify appMultiNICA ArpDelay 5
    hares -modify appMultiNICA IfconfigTwice 1

    hares -add appIPMultiNIC IPMultiNIC groupw
    hares -modify appIPMultiNIC Enabled 1
    hares -modify appIPMultiNIC Address 172.21.28.31
    hares -modify appIPMultiNIC NetMask 255.255.255.0
    hares -modify appIPMultiNIC MultiNICResName appMultiNICA
    hares -modify appIPMultiNIC IfconfigTwice 1

    172.21.28.31 is the nfs virtual IP right? I put it in /etc/hosts. I still
    do not see anything when I want to create nfs cluster (hawizard nfs)

    thank you

    Me wrote:
    >ipmultinica
    >
    >you've got the mltinic but not the ip that is to go on the multinic
    >
    >melanie wrote:
    >> I still have the same problem when configuring nfs agent.
    >>
    >> I configured appNIC (NIC resource), appIP (IP resource) , appMultiNICA

    (multi
    >> NIC resource), appDG (disk group resource) and assigned them to groupw

    (Service
    >> Group)
    >>

    >> The wizard does not show any virtual IP when installing a nfs agent.
    >>

    >> I added in /etc/hosts this line
    >>
    >> 172.21.28.31 vc-nfs.uk.siroe.com vc-nfs
    >>

    >> The 2 nodes have 2 private NIC cards:
    >>

    >> e1000g1: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index