Veritas Cluster Setup on HP UX and Netbackup Cluster Setup on Veritas Cluster - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Veritas Cluster Setup on HP UX and Netbackup Cluster Setup on Veritas Cluster - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi All, Does anyone has brief documentation and steps to Install Veritas Cluster Server 5.0 on HP Unix v11.3, including Cluster Installation, Configuration steps, I/O Fencing steps, Creating Disk Group Steps and others step which require for Installation of Veritas ...

  1. Veritas Cluster Setup on HP UX and Netbackup Cluster Setup on Veritas Cluster

    Hi All,

    Does anyone has brief documentation and steps to Install Veritas Cluster
    Server 5.0 on HP Unix v11.3, including Cluster Installation, Configuration
    steps, I/O Fencing steps, Creating Disk Group Steps and others step which
    require for Installation of Veritas Cluster on HP UX.

    Also If there is any steps for Netbackup Server setup on Veritas Cluster
    on HP UX 11i.

    Cheers..,

    Shreeram Rane

  2. Re: Veritas Cluster Setup on HP UX and Netbackup Cluster Setup on

    Hi,

    First of all thanks for your reply. I want to install Veritas Netbackup on
    Veritas Cluster Server, which will be installed on HP UX v11.3. It will be
    a 2 node cluster.

    In such scenario, do I require to configure I/O fencing.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Shreeram Rane

    Me wrote:
    >Together with the product you will get the documentation. This includes

    >the Installation Guide for the product you've got.
    >
    >What you're after (sounds like) is the Cluster Filesystem or RAC
    >installation guide
    >

    >In short, to install, run the "install" script. Follow the prompts.
    >
    >All steps for setting up (including fencing) is in the installation guides.
    >
    >Now, to get a new diskgroup going, (after installing and running
    >vxinstall), you will need to get a list of the available disks
    >
    >#vxdisk -o alldgs list
    >
    >Now, looks for disks not used (will be online invalid for version 5.0)
    >

    >You will have to inititalize these disks
    >
    >#vxdiskadm
    >Select option 1
    >Select the disk
    >

    >Once you've initilized the disks (say Disk_1 Disk_2 and Disk_3) then
    >you create a DiskGroup with the following command (say we create a
    >DiskGroup called MyDG and we want the disks inside teh diskgroup to be
    >called "MyDG1", "MyDG2" and "MyDG3"
    >

    >#vxdg init MyDG MyDG1=Disk1, MyDG2=Disk_2, MyDG3=Disk_3
    >
    >Now, you need to create volumes . This command is a bit more involved.
    >
    >You can also run the GUI
    >

    >After setting up the display, run
    >
    >#/opt/VRTSgui/bin/vea&
    >

    >Shreeram Rane wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Does anyone has brief documentation and steps to Install Veritas Cluster
    >> Server 5.0 on HP Unix v11.3, including Cluster Installation, Configuration
    >> steps, I/O Fencing steps, Creating Disk Group Steps and others step which
    >> require for Installation of Veritas Cluster on HP UX.
    >>
    >> Also If there is any steps for Netbackup Server setup on Veritas Cluster
    >> on HP UX 11i.
    >>

    >> Cheers..,
    >>
    >> Shreeram Rane

  3. Re: Veritas Cluster Setup on HP UX and Netbackup Cluster Setup onVeritas Cluster

    Shreeram Rane wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Does anyone has brief documentation and steps to Install Veritas Cluster
    > Server 5.0 on HP Unix v11.3, including Cluster Installation, Configuration
    > steps, I/O Fencing steps, Creating Disk Group Steps and others step which
    > require for Installation of Veritas Cluster on HP UX.
    >
    > Also If there is any steps for Netbackup Server setup on Veritas Cluster
    > on HP UX 11i.
    >

    > Cheers..,
    >
    > Shreeram Rane

  4. Re: Veritas Cluster Setup on HP UX and Netbackup Cluster Setup on

    Can I have the brief steps required to Install VCS.

    like Install VCS, Configuring. But my confusion is to LLT, GAB and I/O fencing
    whereas we want to have only one cluster with 2 nodes.

    I doenst have clue from where to start. If you could tell me the steps, what
    to install first and then config. so that my VCS installation can go smooth.

    Your response will be highly appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Shreeram

    Me wrote:
    >Together with the product you will get the documentation. This includes

    >the Installation Guide for the product you've got.
    >
    >What you're after (sounds like) is the Cluster Filesystem or RAC
    >installation guide
    >

    >In short, to install, run the "install" script. Follow the prompts.
    >
    >All steps for setting up (including fencing) is in the installation guides.
    >
    >Now, to get a new diskgroup going, (after installing and running
    >vxinstall), you will need to get a list of the available disks
    >
    >#vxdisk -o alldgs list
    >
    >Now, looks for disks not used (will be online invalid for version 5.0)
    >

    >You will have to inititalize these disks
    >
    >#vxdiskadm
    >Select option 1
    >Select the disk
    >

    >Once you've initilized the disks (say Disk_1 Disk_2 and Disk_3) then
    >you create a DiskGroup with the following command (say we create a
    >DiskGroup called MyDG and we want the disks inside teh diskgroup to be
    >called "MyDG1", "MyDG2" and "MyDG3"
    >

    >#vxdg init MyDG MyDG1=Disk1, MyDG2=Disk_2, MyDG3=Disk_3
    >
    >Now, you need to create volumes . This command is a bit more involved.
    >
    >You can also run the GUI
    >

    >After setting up the display, run
    >
    >#/opt/VRTSgui/bin/vea&
    >

    >Shreeram Rane wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Does anyone has brief documentation and steps to Install Veritas Cluster
    >> Server 5.0 on HP Unix v11.3, including Cluster Installation, Configuration
    >> steps, I/O Fencing steps, Creating Disk Group Steps and others step which
    >> require for Installation of Veritas Cluster on HP UX.
    >>
    >> Also If there is any steps for Netbackup Server setup on Veritas Cluster
    >> on HP UX 11i.
    >>

    >> Cheers..,
    >>
    >> Shreeram Rane

  5. Re: Veritas Cluster Setup on HP UX and Netbackup Cluster Setup on

    Thanks for your mail. I do understand the requirement for Veritas Netbackup
    Server requirement for VCS. Do you have any idea on GAB configuration, as
    you have already cleared my doubt on LLT.

    Also how to create a disk group and henceforth. Also do any requirement to
    configure or edit any configuration files after installation. Also do I require
    to install Veritas Cluster management Console or VEA?

    Thanks & Regards,

    Shreeram Rane

    Me wrote:
    >OK, now the first step is
    >
    >1. get 2 dedicated links (lan1 and lan2 as examples) that you will
    >connect LLT links on. You can either connect these directly (x-over
    >cables) or via dedicated switches or hubs. No other links (IP addresses)

    >should be active on these interfaces
    >
    >2. Now, make sure that you can ssh (without passwords) or rsh between
    >the machines using machine names (thus name resolution works
    >
    >3. On any of the 2 machines, run the "installvcs" script.
    >
    >4. You will be asked the names of the machines to nistall this on (that

    >is why rsh or ssh must work).
    >
    >5. You will be asked if which interfaces should be used for LLT
    >

    >AS for fencing, you can run fencing in disabled mode (can not remember
    >now if this is asked or not (can just change /etc/vxfen-mmode file)
    >
    >NetBackup has got it's own procedure (see NetBackup doco) for installing

    >and making certain servers either master or media servers or clients
    >You will have to have the clusters running BEFORE you do this.
    >

    >Shreeram Rane wrote:
    >> Can I have the brief steps required to Install VCS.
    >>
    >> like Install VCS, Configuring. But my confusion is to LLT, GAB and I/O

    fencing
    >> whereas we want to have only one cluster with 2 nodes.
    >>
    >> I doenst have clue from where to start. If you could tell me the steps,

    what
    >> to install first and then config. so that my VCS installation can go smooth.
    >>
    >> Your response will be highly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Shreeram
    >>

    >> Me wrote:
    >>
    >>>Together with the product you will get the documentation. This includes

    >>>the Installation Guide for the product you've got.
    >>>
    >>>What you're after (sounds like) is the Cluster Filesystem or RAC
    >>>installation guide
    >>>

    >>>In short, to install, run the "install" script. Follow the prompts.
    >>>
    >>>All steps for setting up (including fencing) is in the installation guides.
    >>>
    >>>Now, to get a new diskgroup going, (after installing and running
    >>>vxinstall), you will need to get a list of the available disks
    >>>
    >>>#vxdisk -o alldgs list
    >>>
    >>>Now, looks for disks not used (will be online invalid for version 5.0)
    >>>

    >>>You will have to inititalize these disks
    >>>
    >>>#vxdiskadm
    >>>Select option 1
    >>>Select the disk
    >>>

    >>>Once you've initilized the disks (say Disk_1 Disk_2 and Disk_3) then

    >>>you create a DiskGroup with the following command (say we create a
    >>>DiskGroup called MyDG and we want the disks inside teh diskgroup to be

    >>>called "MyDG1", "MyDG2" and "MyDG3"
    >>>

    >>>#vxdg init MyDG MyDG1=Disk1, MyDG2=Disk_2, MyDG3=Disk_3
    >>>
    >>>Now, you need to create volumes . This command is a bit more involved.
    >>>
    >>>You can also run the GUI
    >>>

    >>>After setting up the display, run
    >>>
    >>>#/opt/VRTSgui/bin/vea&

  6. Re: Veritas Cluster Setup on HP UX and Netbackup Cluster Setup on

    Shreeram Rane wrote:
    > Can I have the brief steps required to Install VCS.
    >
    > like Install VCS, Configuring. But my confusion is to LLT, GAB and I/O fencing
    > whereas we want to have only one cluster with 2 nodes.
    >
    > I doenst have clue from where to start. If you could tell me the steps, what
    > to install first and then config. so that my VCS installation can go smooth.
    >
    > Your response will be highly appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Shreeram
    >

    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>Together with the product you will get the documentation. This includes

    >>the Installation Guide for the product you've got.
    >>
    >>What you're after (sounds like) is the Cluster Filesystem or RAC
    >>installation guide
    >>

    >>In short, to install, run the "install" script. Follow the prompts.
    >>
    >>All steps for setting up (including fencing) is in the installation guides.
    >>
    >>Now, to get a new diskgroup going, (after installing and running
    >>vxinstall), you will need to get a list of the available disks
    >>
    >>#vxdisk -o alldgs list
    >>
    >>Now, looks for disks not used (will be online invalid for version 5.0)
    >>

    >>You will have to inititalize these disks
    >>
    >>#vxdiskadm
    >>Select option 1
    >>Select the disk
    >>

    >>Once you've initilized the disks (say Disk_1 Disk_2 and Disk_3) then
    >>you create a DiskGroup with the following command (say we create a
    >>DiskGroup called MyDG and we want the disks inside teh diskgroup to be
    >>called "MyDG1", "MyDG2" and "MyDG3"
    >>

    >>#vxdg init MyDG MyDG1=Disk1, MyDG2=Disk_2, MyDG3=Disk_3
    >>
    >>Now, you need to create volumes . This command is a bit more involved.
    >>
    >>You can also run the GUI
    >>

    >>After setting up the display, run
    >>
    >>#/opt/VRTSgui/bin/vea&
    >>

    >>Shreeram Rane wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi All,
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone has brief documentation and steps to Install Veritas Cluster
    >>>Server 5.0 on HP Unix v11.3, including Cluster Installation, Configuration
    >>>steps, I/O Fencing steps, Creating Disk Group Steps and others step which
    >>>require for Installation of Veritas Cluster on HP UX.
    >>>
    >>>Also If there is any steps for Netbackup Server setup on Veritas Cluster
    >>>on HP UX 11i.
    >>>

    >>>Cheers..,
    >>>
    >>>Shreeram Rane

  7. Re: Veritas Cluster Setup on HP UX and Netbackup Cluster Setup on

    GAB will be setup automatically, but thsi is what needs to be done

    /etc/gabtab

    Will contain the GAB startup. Something like

    gabconfig -n2

    (2 = the minimum number of nodes needed in the cluster to start)

    There will also bee a GAB startup script.

    So, no need to configure it, it will be done for you

    Shreeram Rane wrote:
    > Thanks for your mail. I do understand the requirement for Veritas Netbackup
    > Server requirement for VCS. Do you have any idea on GAB configuration, as
    > you have already cleared my doubt on LLT.
    >
    > Also how to create a disk group and henceforth. Also do any requirement to
    > configure or edit any configuration files after installation. Also do I require
    > to install Veritas Cluster management Console or VEA?
    >

    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Shreeram Rane
    >

    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>OK, now the first step is
    >>
    >>1. get 2 dedicated links (lan1 and lan2 as examples) that you will
    >>connect LLT links on. You can either connect these directly (x-over
    >>cables) or via dedicated switches or hubs. No other links (IP addresses)

    >>should be active on these interfaces
    >>
    >>2. Now, make sure that you can ssh (without passwords) or rsh between
    >>the machines using machine names (thus name resolution works
    >>
    >>3. On any of the 2 machines, run the "installvcs" script.
    >>
    >>4. You will be asked the names of the machines to nistall this on (that

    >>is why rsh or ssh must work).
    >>
    >>5. You will be asked if which interfaces should be used for LLT
    >>

    >>AS for fencing, you can run fencing in disabled mode (can not remember
    >>now if this is asked or not (can just change /etc/vxfen-mmode file)
    >>
    >>NetBackup has got it's own procedure (see NetBackup doco) for installing

    >>and making certain servers either master or media servers or clients
    >>You will have to have the clusters running BEFORE you do this.
    >>

    >>Shreeram Rane wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can I have the brief steps required to Install VCS.
    >>>
    >>>like Install VCS, Configuring. But my confusion is to LLT, GAB and I/O

    > fencing
    >
    >>>whereas we want to have only one cluster with 2 nodes.
    >>>
    >>>I doenst have clue from where to start. If you could tell me the steps,

    > what
    >
    >>>to install first and then config. so that my VCS installation can go smooth.
    >>>
    >>>Your response will be highly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>
    >>>Shreeram

  8. Re: Veritas Cluster Setup on HP UX and Netbackup Cluster Setup on

    Do I need to install Veritas Volume Manager before I install Veritas Clsuter.

    If not, how do I can configure volumes, without Veritas Volume Manager. Can
    I use LVM instead of Veritas VM and is it possible to manage volumes using
    LVM in Veritas Cluster. If yes, how do I make use of LVM in Veritas Cluster
    Scenario.

    Cheers...,

    Shreeram Rane

    Me wrote:
    >Together with the product you will get the documentation. This includes

    >the Installation Guide for the product you've got.
    >
    >What you're after (sounds like) is the Cluster Filesystem or RAC
    >installation guide
    >

    >In short, to install, run the "install" script. Follow the prompts.
    >
    >All steps for setting up (including fencing) is in the installation guides.
    >
    >Now, to get a new diskgroup going, (after installing and running
    >vxinstall), you will need to get a list of the available disks
    >
    >#vxdisk -o alldgs list
    >
    >Now, looks for disks not used (will be online invalid for version 5.0)
    >

    >You will have to inititalize these disks
    >
    >#vxdiskadm
    >Select option 1
    >Select the disk
    >

    >Once you've initilized the disks (say Disk_1 Disk_2 and Disk_3) then
    >you create a DiskGroup with the following command (say we create a
    >DiskGroup called MyDG and we want the disks inside teh diskgroup to be
    >called "MyDG1", "MyDG2" and "MyDG3"
    >

    >#vxdg init MyDG MyDG1=Disk1, MyDG2=Disk_2, MyDG3=Disk_3
    >
    >Now, you need to create volumes . This command is a bit more involved.
    >
    >You can also run the GUI
    >

    >After setting up the display, run
    >
    >#/opt/VRTSgui/bin/vea&
    >

    >Shreeram Rane wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Does anyone has brief documentation and steps to Install Veritas Cluster
    >> Server 5.0 on HP Unix v11.3, including Cluster Installation, Configuration
    >> steps, I/O Fencing steps, Creating Disk Group Steps and others step which
    >> require for Installation of Veritas Cluster on HP UX.
    >>
    >> Also If there is any steps for Netbackup Server setup on Veritas Cluster
    >> on HP UX 11i.
    >>

    >> Cheers..,
    >>
    >> Shreeram Rane

  9. Re: Veritas Cluster Setup on HP UX and Netbackup Cluster Setup on

    LVM is supported in VCS for HP-UX.

    Yes, you should actually have Volume Manager installed before setting up
    volumes and diskgroups.

+ Reply to Thread