how to take a resource offline - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on how to take a resource offline - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi there is going be san flare upgrade in our environment and ha-cluster servers are connected to SAN. the technician suggests to take the oracle offline using vcs . I know a resource Type: Oracle Name: BB60 is ONLINE in ...

  1. how to take a resource offline

    Hi there is going be san flare upgrade in our environment and ha-cluster servers
    are connected to SAN. the technician suggests to take the oracle offline
    using vcs . I know a resource Type: Oracle Name: BB60 is ONLINE in list of
    Resources on online server.

    How to take this resource offline step wise..

    Can I just take it offline using webconsole (not java but veritas web console)
    in browser

    I can see these options
    online, offline, clear , probe, offline propogate. for the ORACLE TYPE resource.

    Can I just click offline and it will safely be shutdown or I have to take
    Application service group offline to take this resource offline.

    What would be the safest way for oracle to be taken offline so that there
    is no corruption...

    Thank you,

  2. Re: how to take a resource offline

    First - I would suggest freezing the group that contains the Oracle
    resource.

    The reasons for this is, that if the power resets during your upgrade,
    and VCS statrs, it will online the group again (including Oracle).

    So, find the name of your group and then do a

    haconf -makerw
    hagrp -freeze -persistent
    haconf -dump -makero

    Then offline the resource:

    hares -offline

    aqnd then when you are finished

    haconf -makerw
    hagroup -unfreeze -persistent

    (please do not use the "<" and ">" in any of the commands)

    You can also do that with the GUI

    upendra wrote:
    > Hi there is going be san flare upgrade in our environment and ha-cluster servers
    > are connected to SAN. the technician suggests to take the oracle offline
    > using vcs . I know a resource Type: Oracle Name: BB60 is ONLINE in list of
    > Resources on online server.
    >
    > How to take this resource offline step wise..
    >
    > Can I just take it offline using webconsole (not java but veritas web console)
    > in browser
    >
    > I can see these options
    > online, offline, clear , probe, offline propogate. for the ORACLE TYPE resource.
    >
    > Can I just click offline and it will safely be shutdown or I have to take
    > Application service group offline to take this resource offline.
    >
    > What would be the safest way for oracle to be taken offline so that there
    > is no corruption...
    >

    > Thank you,

+ Reply to Thread