question regarding iofencing - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on question regarding iofencing - Veritas Cluster Server ; hi, a question regarding to vcs io fencing. do i need to config my volumes to vxfs ? coz i find the note from the section of supported software in vcs installation guide it says "Note If you plan to ...

  1. question regarding iofencing

    hi,
    a question regarding to vcs io fencing. do i need to config my volumes to
    vxfs ? coz i find the note from the section of supported software in vcs
    installation guide it says

    "Note If you plan to use the VCS I/O fencing option, you must use VxVM 4.1
    and
    VxFS 4.1."

    but when i gos to the section of setup I/O fencing it says

    Note that to use I/O fencing you must:
    ✔ Have installed the VRTSvxfen package when you installed VCS
    ✔ Have installed a version of VERITAS Volume Manager (VxVM) that supports
    SCSI-3
    persistent reservations (SCSI-3 PR). Refer to the installation guide accompanying
    the
    Storage Foundation product you are using.

    which one i should follow. thanks!

    Op

  2. Re: question regarding iofencing

    VCS fencing is protection for local diskgroups.

    what that means is that when you import a local diskgroup, VCS will
    place fencing keys on there so it gets protected.

    So, to import diskgroups, implies you will need VxVM.

    No, IO fencing is specifically designed for RAC (Real Application
    Clusters), that will import a diskgroup on more than 1 machine and will
    mount filesystems on more than one machine (not talking NFS here).

    Veritas filesystem (VxFS) is the only cluster filesystem, so you will
    need it there (and before I get all the SUN cluster people on my back,
    SUN cluster filesystem is nothing but VxFS you resell and global FS is
    not acluster FS - please prove that it is not NFS by disabling NFS
    daemons - or even better write a cron script that kills them and see
    what happens)

    Op wrote:
    > hi,
    > a question regarding to vcs io fencing. do i need to config my volumes to
    > vxfs ? coz i find the note from the section of supported software in vcs
    > installation guide it says
    >
    > "Note If you plan to use the VCS I/O fencing option, you must use VxVM 4.1
    > and
    > VxFS 4.1."
    >
    > but when i gos to the section of setup I/O fencing it says
    >
    > Note that to use I/O fencing you must:
    > ✔ Have installed the VRTSvxfen package when you installed VCS
    > ✔ Have installed a version of VERITAS Volume Manager (VxVM) that supports
    > SCSI-3
    > persistent reservations (SCSI-3 PR). Refer to the installation guide accompanying
    > the
    > Storage Foundation product you are using.
    >
    > which one i should follow. thanks!
    >
    > Op

+ Reply to Thread