MultiNic - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on MultiNic - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hello, We are using IPMultiNIC/MultiNICA on the two network ports bge0 and bge1. Following is the definition on main.cf: 348 group ican_sre-mnica ( 349 SystemList = { icanvch1 = 0, icanvch2 = 1 } 350 AutoStart = 0 351 Parallel ...

  1. MultiNic

    Hello,
    We are using IPMultiNIC/MultiNICA on the two network ports bge0 and bge1.
    Following is
    the definition on main.cf:

    348 group ican_sre-mnica (
    349 SystemList = { icanvch1 = 0, icanvch2 = 1 }
    350 AutoStart = 0
    351 Parallel = 1
    352 )
    353
    354 MultiNICA mnica_bge1 (
    355 Critical = 0
    356 Device @icanvch1 = { bge1 = "142.71.223.204",
    357 bge0 = "142.71.223.204" }
    358 Device @icanvch2 = { bge1 = "142.71.223.205",
    359 bge0 = "142.71.223.205" }
    360 NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    361 )
    362
    363 Phantom mnic_phantom (
    364 Critical = 0
    365 )
    366

    IPMultiNIC testip (
    Address = "142.71.223.224"
    NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    MultiNICResName = mnica_bge1
    )

    On icanvch1 we have /etc/hostname.bge0 containing the label for 142.71.223.204
    On icanvch2 we have /etc/hostname.bge0 containing the label for 142.71.223.205

    When cluster is up, we use ifconfig -a and find the output only has bge0,
    no bge1.
    In our configuration, we think the bge1 is the primary adapter.
    Another question, do we need to define /etc/hostname.bge1 in the OS?

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: MultiNic

    VCS will select the one interface that is already up. Adding the
    hostname.bge0 file actually plumbs up the bge0 interface (Solaris will
    do this, not VCS). If you don't believe me, change the name of the
    S99vcs script (so that VCS will not start when the machine boots). You
    will see that bge0 will be plumbed by the Operating System.

    When VCS starts, it will then see if the bge0 or bge1 interfaces are
    plumbed up. If one is plumbed up, it will leave it as the "live"
    interface. If both are plumbed up, it will grab the first one as the
    "live" interface. VCS will not take everything down just to bring
    something new up again. That could influence other running applications
    (outside of VCS control).

    li wrote:
    > Hello,
    > We are using IPMultiNIC/MultiNICA on the two network ports bge0 and bge1.
    > Following is
    > the definition on main.cf:
    >
    > 348 group ican_sre-mnica (
    > 349 SystemList = { icanvch1 = 0, icanvch2 = 1 }
    > 350 AutoStart = 0
    > 351 Parallel = 1
    > 352 )
    > 353
    > 354 MultiNICA mnica_bge1 (
    > 355 Critical = 0
    > 356 Device @icanvch1 = { bge1 = "142.71.223.204",
    > 357 bge0 = "142.71.223.204" }
    > 358 Device @icanvch2 = { bge1 = "142.71.223.205",
    > 359 bge0 = "142.71.223.205" }
    > 360 NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    > 361 )
    > 362
    > 363 Phantom mnic_phantom (
    > 364 Critical = 0
    > 365 )
    > 366
    >
    > IPMultiNIC testip (
    > Address = "142.71.223.224"
    > NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    > MultiNICResName = mnica_bge1
    > )
    >
    > On icanvch1 we have /etc/hostname.bge0 containing the label for 142.71.223.204
    > On icanvch2 we have /etc/hostname.bge0 containing the label for 142.71.223.205
    >
    > When cluster is up, we use ifconfig -a and find the output only has bge0,
    > no bge1.
    > In our configuration, we think the bge1 is the primary adapter.
    > Another question, do we need to define /etc/hostname.bge1 in the OS?
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread