Migrate Disk Groups From VCS 1.3.0 servers to VCS 4.1 servers - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Migrate Disk Groups From VCS 1.3.0 servers to VCS 4.1 servers - Veritas Cluster Server ; I am connected to an EMC San and will need to migrate from two clustered servers with VCS 1.3.0 and VxVM 3.1 to two new servers with VCS 4.1 and VXVM 4.1. What is the best way to do this? ...

  1. Migrate Disk Groups From VCS 1.3.0 servers to VCS 4.1 servers

    I am connected to an EMC San and will need to migrate from two
    clustered servers with VCS 1.3.0 and VxVM 3.1 to two new servers with
    VCS 4.1 and VXVM 4.1. What is the best way to do this? Will I need to
    shut the cluster down and deport/import manually then bring up within
    the new cluster? What if I need to go back - is that possible to go
    back from a system using 4.1 to 3.1?

    --
    julielamothe
    julielamothe's Profile: http://unixadmintalk.com/229

  2. Re: Migrate Disk Groups From VCS 1.3.0 servers to VCS 4.1 servers

    I think the easiest way is to deport the diskgroup(s) from the original cluster
    and make those disks available to the new hosts (attach to new SAN, rezone,
    etc). Once the disks are visible and available to the new hosts (cluster),
    either manually re-import and/or setup in VCS. You can use the VCS "/etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config/main.cf"
    file to copy the VCS configuration.
    New versions of VM will be backward compatible with older diskgroups,
    but not the other way around.
    Backwards compatibility is dependent on diskgroup versions. The diskgroup
    version from your 3.1 diskgroup can be upgraded with the "vxdg upgrade" command
    on the new hosts. Upgrading the diskgroup version usually is required to
    support new features, but will make the dg only usable with the new version
    of VM and above. You typically do not have to upgrade the dg version to use
    it. The VCS agent does not care what version a dg is, it uses the local import
    command to online.
    I would make sure the original cluster has the service groups frozen,
    so it does not try to import the dg on those hosts (if SAN is visible to
    the old cluster).

    # vxdg list newdg
    Group: newdg
    dgid: 1163455483.25.jokey
    import-id: 33792.16
    flags: shared cds
    version: 90 <<<<<<<<

    julielamothe wrote:

    >I am connected to an EMC San and will need to migrate from two
    >clustered servers with VCS 1.3.0 and VxVM 3.1 to two new servers with
    >VCS 4.1 and VXVM 4.1. What is the best way to do this? Will I need to
    >shut the cluster down and deport/import manually then bring up within
    >the new cluster? What if I need to go back - is that possible to go
    >back from a system using 4.1 to 3.1?
    >

    >--
    >julielamothe
    >julielamothe's Profile: http://unixadmintalk.com/229