vcsmm_ioctl error - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on vcsmm_ioctl error - Veritas Cluster Server ; Platform: Solaris 10, Oracle 10gR2 RAC 2 node cluster, Veritas 4.1MP1. Everyday at the same time, I get 3 entries for the following in the messages log: vcsmm [ID843321 kern.notice] VCS RAC ERROR V-10-1-15012 vcsmm_ioctl: unknown cmd What is the ...

  1. vcsmm_ioctl error

    Platform: Solaris 10, Oracle 10gR2 RAC 2 node cluster, Veritas 4.1MP1. Everyday
    at the same time, I get 3 entries for the following in the messages log:

    vcsmm [ID843321 kern.notice] VCS RAC ERROR V-10-1-15012 vcsmm_ioctl: unknown
    cmd

    What is the vcsmm_ioctl? What could be calling it that is bad?

  2. Re: vcsmm_ioctl error

    ko, let's start by explaining what VCSMM is and what it does. Then we
    can guess what the error means.

    VCSMM is used for cache-fusion between nodes in a RAC cluster. Thus
    VCSMM provides the way that the RAC niodes in a cluster can communicate.

    This means that Oracle uses ioctl (io control commands) to talk to VCSMM
    (and thus to each other).

    OK, so what is happening in your case ?

    I would guess that at the same time every day, you run some cron job
    that does parallel queries. The parallel queries might not be setup
    correctly (causing Oracle to send invalid ioctls) or Oracle needs a
    patch (to send the correct ioctls) or the Veritas VCSMM library (which
    you should have linked in) is not the correct library (thus Oracle is a
    64-bit but the library is 32-bit)

    The specifics of the V-10-1-15012 error can be followed up with Veritas
    support

    Shawna wrote:
    > Platform: Solaris 10, Oracle 10gR2 RAC 2 node cluster, Veritas 4.1MP1. Everyday
    > at the same time, I get 3 entries for the following in the messages log:
    >
    > vcsmm [ID843321 kern.notice] VCS RAC ERROR V-10-1-15012 vcsmm_ioctl: unknown
    > cmd
    >
    > What is the vcsmm_ioctl? What could be calling it that is bad?

+ Reply to Thread