RE-ENGINEERING CLUSTER ARCHITECTURE - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on RE-ENGINEERING CLUSTER ARCHITECTURE - Veritas Cluster Server ; RE-ENGINEERING CLUSTER ARCHITECTURE. Has anybody gone through the process of reducing or changing from multi-node cluster to single node with a hot-standby server? We are running Storage Foundation 3.5 cluster server but have license for 4.x. Our need is to ...

  1. RE-ENGINEERING CLUSTER ARCHITECTURE

    RE-ENGINEERING CLUSTER ARCHITECTURE.

    Has anybody gone through the process of reducing or changing from multi-node
    cluster to single node with a hot-standby server?

    We are running Storage Foundation 3.5 cluster server but have license for
    4.x. Our need is to utilize current hardware which means reducing server
    count in the clusters by half. The server farm consists of (six) v480's;
    (2) nodes per cluster represented as DBTIER; APPTIER and ISTIER...

    The DBTIER is ACT/ACT and the others ACT/PASS. My intent is to either go
    to a single node cluster per tier, consolidating the ISTIER with the APPTIER
    and using the remaining single server for standby. So I would have (1) node
    per tier (2) clusters and a hot standby. Or, creating (2) node cluster on
    (1) tier and hot standby.

    I see the main issue being the service groups, disk groups and volumes crossing
    between clusters for one and the second option being how to gracefully migrate
    and converge three clusters into one.

    I need to understand the high level steps to make the approach sound feasible.
    Can someone respond if you have an idea of the objective I am trying to reach
    and any source of information that lays out a plan of action?

    Sincerest Regards,

    BJR

  2. Re: RE-ENGINEERING CLUSTER ARCHITECTURE

    Brian,

    I have an old resume of yours from like 2001 and of course neither the
    phone or the email are current. I was able to find this post by
    googling you. I would like to see if you can help me locate someone
    suitable for the position we have open. I believe you are probably too
    senior for this role yourself but it may be a situation where you know
    someone better suited.

    We are looking for an Enterprise Network administrator with at least a
    Secret clearance (TS preferred) for a great job in the Ronald Reagan
    building on Pennsylvania Avenue in DC (near the White House). It is
    for an intermediate level person and pays about $70K. If you know
    anyone, please send them my way at janos@transquest.com. Thanks.
    Here's the description:

    1. Skillsets and Experience:
    Required Skillsets:
    Either: A Bachelor degree and 4 years IT experience
    OR
    At least 8 years IT experience
    2-4 years experience with network monitoring
    NerveCenter or similar SNMP polling tool (NerveCenter polls are
    written in Perl)
    HP OpenView
    Crystal Reports design (Crystal Enterprise on the web server; that is
    the web back end)
    Access database administration, query and form creation,
    and maintenance (formula manipulations)
    Good communication skills

    Desired Skillsets a plus:
    SNMP agent
    FrontPage 2000, web server administration, configuration, and
    troubleshooting (Windows 2000 server)
    Scripting experience or a programming background
    Some proficiency with UNIX.

    2. Job Duties/Functions: The Contractor shall provide but not be
    limited to the following enterprise network management/administration
    support services:
    a. Monitor and maintain enterprise networks and servers problems
    b. Troubleshoot and repair network and server problems
    c. Generate scripts to monitor and manage networks and servers
    d. Perform management of network structures
    e. Use network management tools
    f. Document and maintain the design and configuration of network
    components
    g. Ensure network security procedures are followed
    h. Perform back-up and restore actions as required
    i. Prepare reports concerning network health and problems
    j. Prepare and brief end-customer, prime contractor and technical
    personnel

    If you have storage experience, such as EMC or Brocade, we've also got
    a position at Bolling AFB (SE DC) for Storage Administrator that pays
    $90K. Requires a TS SCI.

    Required Knowledge: Understanding of Windows and Solaris OS
    administrator functions. Understanding of backup storage devices.
    Knowledge of tape libraries. 5 years experience within the NetApp and
    EMC hardware infrastructures:
    Desired Knowledge: 5 years
    experience within the NetApp and EMC hardware infrastructures: Create
    volumes, create and administrator snapshots, and manage data
    replication. Within CommVault: Create policies, configure tape
    libraries and disk storage, create schedules, and understand Data
    printing. Also experience with 9802 SAN switches, required.

    Duties: Provide technical support
    to resolve Tier III level hardware and software issues of the storage
    infrastructure within the Storage Maintenance Team. Test, document, and
    implement software- and hardware-level maintenance patches. Provide
    proactive management of server volumes. Provide data migration between
    storage devices. Resolve all issues within the Siebel ticketing system
    that pertains to storage management.

    Brian, I've tried to reach you so many times in the past when we needed
    your kind of expertise... I am glad to reach you this way. Can you send
    me a resume so I know where you are and what you are doing? And it
    can't hurt to keep you in the loop about what's going on here. Thanks.

    Th

    --
    jantog
    jantog's Profile: http://unixadmintalk.com/482