Support for multiple MultiNICB instance - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Support for multiple MultiNICB instance - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hello All, Here is the scenario. I have a two node cluster, with two Oracle database instances, with one logical IP for each database. This IP address will be bound to the active interface on two IPMP groups. ie, I ...

  1. Support for multiple MultiNICB instance

    Hello All,

    Here is the scenario. I have a two node cluster, with two Oracle database
    instances, with one logical IP for each database. This IP address will be
    bound to the active interface on two IPMP groups. ie, I want two IPMP groups
    on each node, whereever the database is online, the logical IP will be bound
    to the corresponding IPMP interface. Is this combination supported ? All
    IP in same subnet. When I tried this combination, the MultiNICB and IPMultiNICB
    is not getting online. Throwing the following error.

    2006/08/14 05:34:30 VCS ERROR V-16-10001-6525 MultiNICB:NIC_analyticsdg:monitor:Interface
    configuration is not valid.
    Check IP addresses, subnet masks, flags, groupnames on all interfaces. Make
    sure that all the interfaces of only one IP subnet are included
    under the resource. See Bundled Agents Reference Guide

    If the question is not clear, I will attach main.cf and hostname.* files.

    Appreciate early help.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Support for multiple MultiNICB instance

    OK

    post the following:

    main.cf (or at least the MultiNICB parts)
    ifconfig -a (if this is a Solaris box or ifconfig for each interface)

    Also /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.* (so we can see the full config)

    Biju K Joseph wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Here is the scenario. I have a two node cluster, with two Oracle database
    > instances, with one logical IP for each database. This IP address will be
    > bound to the active interface on two IPMP groups. ie, I want two IPMP groups
    > on each node, whereever the database is online, the logical IP will be bound
    > to the corresponding IPMP interface. Is this combination supported ? All
    > IP in same subnet. When I tried this combination, the MultiNICB and IPMultiNICB
    > is not getting online. Throwing the following error.
    >
    > 2006/08/14 05:34:30 VCS ERROR V-16-10001-6525 MultiNICB:NIC_analyticsdg:monitor:Interface
    > configuration is not valid.
    > Check IP addresses, subnet masks, flags, groupnames on all interfaces. Make
    > sure that all the interfaces of only one IP subnet are included
    > under the resource. See Bundled Agents Reference Guide
    >
    > If the question is not clear, I will attach main.cf and hostname.* files.
    >

    > Appreciate early help.
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Support for multiple MultiNICB instance

    include "types.cf"
    include "OracleTypes.cf"

    cluster PRODdb (
    UserNames = { admin = gmnFmhMjnIihIiiI }
    Administrators = { admin }
    CredRenewFrequency = 0
    CounterInterval = 5
    )

    system zhk26ora502

    system zhk26ora503

    group AnalyticsDB (
    SystemList = { zhk26ora502 = 0, zhk26ora503 = 1 }
    AutoStartList = { zhk26ora503 }
    )

    IPMultiNICB IP_analyticsdg (
    BaseResName = NIC_analyticsdg
    Address = "10.197.151.222"
    NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    )

    MultiNICB NIC_analyticsdg (
    UseMpathd = 1
    MpathdCommand = "/usr/lib/inet/in.mpathd"
    ConfigCheck = 0
    Device @zhk26ora502 = { ce8 = 0, ce9 = 1 }
    Device @zhk26ora503 = { ce4 = 0, ce9 = 1 }
    DefaultRouter = "0.0.0.0"
    )

    IP_analyticsdg requires NIC_analyticsdg

    group SiebelDB (
    SystemList = { zhk26ora502 = 0, zhk26ora503 = 1 }
    AutoStartList = { zhk26ora502 }
    )

    IPMultiNICB IP_siebeldg (
    BaseResName = NIC_siebeldg
    Address = "10.197.151.221"
    NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    )

    MultiNICB NIC_siebeldg (
    UseMpathd = 1
    MpathdCommand = "/usr/lib/inet/in.mpathd"
    ConfigCheck = 0
    Device @zhk26ora502 = { ce2 = 0, ce4 = 1 }
    Device @zhk26ora503 = { ce2 = 0, ce3 = 1 }
    DefaultRouter = "0.0.0.0"
    )

    IP_siebeldg requires NIC_siebeldg

    root@zhk26ora502 # more /etc/hostname*

    ::::::::::::::
    /etc/hostname.ce2
    ::::::::::::::
    10.197.151.4 netmask + broadcast + deprecated -failover up addif 10.197.151.6
    ne
    tmask + broadcast + failover up
    ::::::::::::::
    /etc/hostname.ce4
    ::::::::::::::
    10.197.151.5 netmask + broadcast + deprecated -failover standby up
    ::::::::::::::
    /etc/hostname.ce6
    ::::::::::::::
    zhk26ora502
    ::::::::::::::
    /etc/hostname.ce8
    ::::::::::::::
    10.197.151.24 netmask + broadcast + deprecated -failover up addif 10.197.151.26
    netmask + broadcast + failover up
    ::::::::::::::
    /etc/hostname.ce9
    ::::::::::::::
    10.197.151.25 netmask + broadcast + deprecated -failover standby up

    Me wrote:
    >OK
    >

    >post the following:
    >
    >main.cf (or at least the MultiNICB parts)
    >ifconfig -a (if this is a Solaris box or ifconfig for each interface)
    >
    >Also /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.* (so we can see the full config)
    >

    >Biju K Joseph wrote:
    >> Hello All,
    >>
    >> Here is the scenario. I have a two node cluster, with two Oracle database
    >> instances, with one logical IP for each database. This IP address will

    be
    >> bound to the active interface on two IPMP groups. ie, I want two IPMP

    groups
    >> on each node, whereever the database is online, the logical IP will be

    bound
    >> to the corresponding IPMP interface. Is this combination supported ? All
    >> IP in same subnet. When I tried this combination, the MultiNICB and IPMultiNICB
    >> is not getting online. Throwing the following error.
    >>
    >> 2006/08/14 05:34:30 VCS ERROR V-16-10001-6525 MultiNICB:NIC_analyticsdg:monitor:Interface
    >> configuration is not valid.
    >> Check IP addresses, subnet masks, flags, groupnames on all interfaces.

    Make
    >> sure that all the interfaces of only one IP subnet are included
    >> under the resource. See Bundled Agents Reference Guide
    >>
    >> If the question is not clear, I will attach main.cf and hostname.* files.
    >>

    >> Appreciate early help.
    >>
    >> Thanks

  4. Re: Support for multiple MultiNICB instance

    OK, will assume default broadcast and network masks

    So, let's look at ce2 and ce4:

    > ::::::::::::::
    > /etc/hostname.ce2
    > ::::::::::::::
    > 10.197.151.4 netmask + broadcast + deprecated -failover up addif

    10.197.151.6
    > ne
    > tmask + broadcast + failover up
    > ::::::::::::::
    > /etc/hostname.ce4
    > ::::::::::::::
    > 10.197.151.5 netmask + broadcast + deprecated -failover standby up

    and from the main.cf:

    IPMultiNICB IP_siebeldg (
    > BaseResName = NIC_siebeldg
    > Address = "10.197.151.221"
    > NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    > )
    >
    > MultiNICB NIC_siebeldg (
    > UseMpathd = 1
    > MpathdCommand = "/usr/lib/inet/in.mpathd"
    > ConfigCheck = 0
    > Device @zhk26ora502 = { ce2 = 0, ce4 = 1 }
    > Device @zhk26ora503 = { ce2 = 0, ce3 = 1 }
    > DefaultRouter = "0.0.0.0"
    > )

    Faults:

    1. Standby mode for the second NIC is not supported
    2. You set the network mask as 255.255.255.0 for the IP, but does that
    match the default that might be set for the 10.0.0.0 network in the
    /etc/netmasks file ?

    No info for the server zhk26ora503, but I assume the same (standby mode
    and default netmask) applies here as well.

    For the other interfaces (ce8 and ce9) the same applies.

    The Bundeled Agents guide contains a complete example on how to setup
    the hostname files (please note no standby) and it also assumes the
    default netmask and clarly states that the interfaces and IP addresses
    should all be on the same subnet

    please note that 10.197.151.221 with the default netmask of 255.0.0.0
    and 10.197.151.221 with the netmask of 255.255.255.o are NOT on the same
    subnet

    subnet mask 255.0.0.0 means that 10.197.151.221 is on the network
    10.0.0.0 and has host of .197.151.221

    subnet mask 255.255.255.0 means that 10.197.151.221 is on the network
    10.197.151 and has a host of .221

    2 different networks !!!

    Biju K Joseph wrote:
> [...]

    >>>bound to the active interface on two IPMP groups. ie, I want two IPMP

    > groups
    >
    >>>on each node, whereever the database is online, the logical IP will be

    > bound
    >
    >>>to the corresponding IPMP interface. Is this combination supported ? All
    >>>IP in same subnet. When I tried this combination, the MultiNICB and IPMultiNICB
    >>>is not getting online. Throwing the following error.
    >>>
    >>>2006/08/14 05:34:30 VCS ERROR V-16-10001-6525 MultiNICB:NIC_analyticsdg:monitor:Interface
    >>>configuration is not valid.
    >>>Check IP addresses, subnet masks, flags, groupnames on all interfaces.

    > Make
    >
    >>>sure that all the interfaces of only one IP subnet are included
    >>>under the resource. See Bundled Agents Reference Guide
    >>>
    >>>If the question is not clear, I will attach main.cf and hostname.* files.

  5. Re: Support for multiple MultiNICB instance

    The system has got netmask of 255.255.255.0 . I have verified /etc/netmasks
    also.

    I will try with standby mode removed. But currently the systems are with
    DBA's for Oracle installation. For the time being I configured the system
    with a seperate MultiNICB service group and using proxy resource.Only problem
    here is when any of the node fails and the database is failed over to the
    second node, both database will use the same IPMP group.

    But in general, can I have two MultiNICB resources in a cluster. Please note
    all IP's are in same subnet 255.255.255.0. I tried the option of configcheck
    = 0 , but doesn't work.

    Thanks
    Biju K Joseph.

    Me wrote:
> [...]

    >> ::::::::::::::
    >> /etc/hostname.ce6
    >> ::::::::::::::

    >> zhk26ora502
    >> ::::::::::::::
    >> /etc/hostname.ce8
    >> ::::::::::::::
    >> 10.197.151.24 netmask + broadcast + deprecated -failover up addif 10.197.151.26
    >> netmask + broadcast + failover up
    >> ::::::::::::::
    >> /etc/hostname.ce9
    >> ::::::::::::::
    >> 10.197.151.25 netmask + broadcast + deprecated -failover standby up
    >>

    >> Me wrote:
    >>
    >>>OK
    >>>

    >>>post the following:
    >>>
    >>>main.cf (or at least the MultiNICB parts)
    >>>ifconfig -a (if this is a Solaris box or ifconfig for each interface)
    >>>
    >>>Also /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.* (so we can see the full config)

  6. Re: Support for multiple MultiNICB instance

    I have achived my target using the "DeviceChoice" option in the "IPMultiNICB"
    resource. Now even if both service groups are running on the same node, the
    logical IP for each service group will be bound to a different physical interface.

    But the basic question of whether multiple IPMP is supported or not . No
    answer. I believe - NO.

    Thanks for your support

    Biju..

    "Biju K Joseph" wrote:

> [...]

    >>> system zhk26ora502
    >>>
    >>> system zhk26ora503
    >>>
    >>> group AnalyticsDB (
    >>> SystemList = { zhk26ora502 = 0, zhk26ora503 = 1 }
    >>> AutoStartList = { zhk26ora503 }
    >>> )
    >>>
    >>> IPMultiNICB IP_analyticsdg (
    >>> BaseResName = NIC_analyticsdg
    >>> Address = "10.197.151.222"
    >>> NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    >>> )
    >>>
    >>> MultiNICB NIC_analyticsdg (
    >>> UseMpathd = 1
    >>> MpathdCommand = "/usr/lib/inet/in.mpathd"
    >>> ConfigCheck = 0
    >>> Device @zhk26ora502 = { ce8 = 0, ce9 = 1 }
    >>> Device @zhk26ora503 = { ce4 = 0, ce9 = 1 }
    >>> DefaultRouter = "0.0.0.0"
    >>> )
    >>>
    >>> IP_analyticsdg requires NIC_analyticsdg
    >>>

    >>> group SiebelDB (
    >>> SystemList = { zhk26ora502 = 0, zhk26ora503 = 1 }

    >>> Address = "10.197.151.221"
    >>> NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    >>> )
    >>>
    >>> MultiNICB NIC_siebeldg (
    >>> UseMpathd = 1
    >>> MpathdCommand = "/usr/lib/inet/in.mpathd"
    >>> ConfigCheck = 0
    >>> Device @zhk26ora502 = { ce2 = 0, ce4 = 1 }
    >>> Device @zhk26ora503 = { ce2 = 0, ce3 = 1 }
    >>> DefaultRouter = "0.0.0.0"
    >>> )
    >>>
    >>> IP_siebeldg requires NIC_siebeldg
    >>>
    >>> __________________________________________________ ________
    >>>
    >>> root@zhk26ora502 # more /etc/hostname*
    >>>
    >>> ::::::::::::::
    >>> /etc/hostname.ce2
    >>> ::::::::::::::
    >>> 10.197.151.4 netmask + broadcast + deprecated -failover up addif 10.197.151.6
    >>> ne
    >>> tmask + broadcast + failover up
    >>> ::::::::::::::
    >>> /etc/hostname.ce4
    >>> ::::::::::::::
    >>> 10.197.151.5 netmask + broadcast + deprecated -failover standby up
    >>> ::::::::::::::
    >>> /etc/hostname.ce6
    >>> ::::::::::::::

    >>> zhk26ora502
    >>> ::::::::::::::
    >>> /etc/hostname.ce8
    >>> ::::::::::::::
    >>> 10.197.151.24 netmask + broadcast + deprecated -failover up addif 10.197.151.26
    >>> netmask + broadcast + failover up
    >>> ::::::::::::::
    >>> /etc/hostname.ce9
    >>> 10.197.151.25 netmask + broadcast + deprecated -failover standby up

    >>> be

    >>> groups

    be

    >>> bound