How does proxcy resource work in IPMultinic and Multinic resource - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on How does proxcy resource work in IPMultinic and Multinic resource - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi There, I found some documents about using same NIC in two different service group, use proxcy resource. Proxcy resource targeted to phantom resource. How does it reduce load. If I don't use proxy resource, How does I know that ...

  1. How does proxcy resource work in IPMultinic and Multinic resource

    Hi There,

    I found some documents about using same NIC in two different service group,
    use proxcy resource. Proxcy resource targeted to phantom resource. How does
    it reduce load.
    If I don't use proxy resource, How does I know that it is increasing load
    on NIC device.?

    Thanks
    Vinay

  2. Re: How does proxcy resource work in IPMultinic and Multinic resource

    OK, so let's explain the proxy:

    If you have a NIC resource, this resource gets monitored (every 60
    seconds by default). To monitor (depends on your version of VCS), it is
    either a script running and doing smoe ifconfig and ping statements, or
    the same inside the Agent binary.

    So, if you have 2 NIC resources pointing at the same NIC (say something
    like hme0 on SUN or eth0 or Linux or .... you get the picture), VCS will
    run the same tests on the same NIC.

    So, there are more things to run (monitor processes) for the same NIC.

    The proxy resource points at another resource. It does it's monitor by
    checking the status of the other resource. So the proxy pointing at the
    NIC, will not do ping and ifconfig commands again. This is how it
    reduces load.

    Now, the phantom:

    VCS as persistent resources and non-persistent resources.
    A persistent resource is something that can not be offlined. Something
    like hardware (a NIC or a disk). The is no way that yu can (with a
    command or program) take the disk offline. Something physical needs to
    happen.

    So, if you have a Service Group containing only persistent resources,
    how can you bring the service group offline ? This is where the phantom
    comes in. It is not really a resource, but VCS can take it offline (and
    so bring the Service Group offline)

    So, you need a phantom only if there are only persistent resources in a
    service group

    Vinay Aptel wrote:
    > Hi There,
    >
    > I found some documents about using same NIC in two different service group,
    > use proxcy resource. Proxcy resource targeted to phantom resource. How does
    > it reduce load.
    > If I don't use proxy resource, How does I know that it is increasing load
    > on NIC device.?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Vinay

+ Reply to Thread