EPILOG: Question 1370 from 18.Jan. 2006: Concurrancy violation - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on EPILOG: Question 1370 from 18.Jan. 2006: Concurrancy violation - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi, we figured out what the problem was. In the SYBASE monitor script there was a line: ps -ef | grep dataserver to check if dataserver is running. We don't kwon if its coming with the normal install routine of ...

  1. EPILOG: Question 1370 from 18.Jan. 2006: Concurrancy violation

    Hi,

    we figured out what the problem was.

    In the SYBASE monitor script there was a line:

    ps -ef | grep dataserver

    to check if dataserver is running.

    We don't kwon if its coming with the normal install routine of the SYBASE-Agent

    or someone else has putted it into for further checks.

    So what happened was:

    On BOTH nodes there is a further script which checks periodically (every
    hour)
    if error messages in the SYBASE.log are generated. SYBASE is running only
    at one node.
    So in this script there is also a line like: ps -ef | grep dataserver.
    If no datserver is running it quits. AND THAT WAS THE PROBLEM.

    In some circumstances the SYBASE -Agent monitor script ran at the same moment
    like the other script and the SYBASE-Agent monitor script detected a dataserver-process
    (from the other script: ps -ef | grep dataserver)!! => concurrancy violation.

    The same would happen if we run the command: vi dataserver on the node where
    SYBASE is not running. The SYBASE-Agent monitor script would detect a dataserver-process!

    What we know read in the documation is, that the SYBASE monitor script
    is splittet into two checks:

    1.
    dataserver is running

    2.
    Access to a special table in vcsdb

    We installed a new Cluster 4.0 with the SYBASE-Agent but we can't see anything
    in the monitor script regarding point 1. Is this implemented in the binary
    agent file
    and not in the monitor script file (SqlTest.pl)??? Any hints??

    regards

    Heinz

  2. Re: EPILOG: Question 1370 from 18.Jan. 2006: Concurrancy violation

    4.0 had all testing in binary Agent files to make it faster.
    4.1 went back to scripts again

    Heinz Mueller wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > we figured out what the problem was.
    >
    > In the SYBASE monitor script there was a line:
    >
    > ps -ef | grep dataserver
    >
    > to check if dataserver is running.
    >
    > We don't kwon if its coming with the normal install routine of the SYBASE-Agent
    >
    > or someone else has putted it into for further checks.
    >
    > So what happened was:
    >
    > On BOTH nodes there is a further script which checks periodically (every
    > hour)
    > if error messages in the SYBASE.log are generated. SYBASE is running only
    > at one node.
    > So in this script there is also a line like: ps -ef | grep dataserver.
    > If no datserver is running it quits. AND THAT WAS THE PROBLEM.
    >
    > In some circumstances the SYBASE -Agent monitor script ran at the same moment
    > like the other script and the SYBASE-Agent monitor script detected a dataserver-process
    > (from the other script: ps -ef | grep dataserver)!! => concurrancy violation.
    >
    > The same would happen if we run the command: vi dataserver on the node where
    > SYBASE is not running. The SYBASE-Agent monitor script would detect a dataserver-process!
    >
    > What we know read in the documation is, that the SYBASE monitor script
    > is splittet into two checks:
    >
    > 1.
    > dataserver is running
    >
    > 2.
    > Access to a special table in vcsdb
    >
    > We installed a new Cluster 4.0 with the SYBASE-Agent but we can't see anything
    > in the monitor script regarding point 1. Is this implemented in the binary
    > agent file
    > and not in the monitor script file (SqlTest.pl)??? Any hints??
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Heinz

  3. Re: EPILOG: Question 1370 from 18.Jan. 2006: Concurrancy violation

    Thank you!

    Question:

    4.0 + MP1 = 4.1 ????
    4.0 + MP2 = 4.2 ????

    Because I havn't installed MP1 for 4.0.

    What command shows me the installed version?
    (Sorry, maybe a stupid question!)

    Heinz

    Me wrote:
    >4.0 had all testing in binary Agent files to make it faster.
    >4.1 went back to scripts again
    >

    >Heinz Mueller wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> we figured out what the problem was.
    >>
    >> In the SYBASE monitor script there was a line:
    >>
    >> ps -ef | grep dataserver
    >>
    >> to check if dataserver is running.
    >>
    >> We don't kwon if its coming with the normal install routine of the SYBASE-Agent
    >>
    >> or someone else has putted it into for further checks.
    >>
    >> So what happened was:
    >>
    >> On BOTH nodes there is a further script which checks periodically (every
    >> hour)
    >> if error messages in the SYBASE.log are generated. SYBASE is running only
    >> at one node.
    >> So in this script there is also a line like: ps -ef | grep dataserver.
    >> If no datserver is running it quits. AND THAT WAS THE PROBLEM.
    >>
    >> In some circumstances the SYBASE -Agent monitor script ran at the same

    moment
    >> like the other script and the SYBASE-Agent monitor script detected a dataserver-process
    >> (from the other script: ps -ef | grep dataserver)!! => concurrancy violation.
    >>
    >> The same would happen if we run the command: vi dataserver on the node

    where
    >> SYBASE is not running. The SYBASE-Agent monitor script would detect a

    dataserver-process!

    >> What we know read in the documation is, that the SYBASE monitor script
    >> is splittet into two checks:
    >>
    >> 1.
    >> dataserver is running
    >>
    >> 2.
    >> Access to a special table in vcsdb
    >>
    >> We installed a new Cluster 4.0 with the SYBASE-Agent but we can't see

    anything
    >> in the monitor script regarding point 1. Is this implemented in the binary
    >> agent file
    >> and not in the monitor script file (SqlTest.pl)??? Any hints??
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Heinz

  4. Re: EPILOG: Question 1370 from 18.Jan. 2006: Concurrancy violation

    4.0 MP1 is 4.0 plus a load of bug fixes.
    4.1 came out after 4.0MP1 got released and includes all the bug fixes
    that went into 4.0MP1 and some more.

    To see the version:

    pkginfo -l VRTSvcs

    (on Solaris)