File System expand and addition - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on File System expand and addition - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hello All, I have a request for adding a new file system under VCS and expand an existing file system which is under VCS control. My question is should it require an outage.The new file system will be created in ...

  1. File System expand and addition

    Hello All,

    I have a request for adding a new file system under VCS and expand an existing
    file system which is under VCS control. My question is should it require
    an outage.The new file system will be created in an existing diskgroup only.
    There is enough free space in the diskgroup.

    Appreciate all your help.

    Thanks

  2. Re: File System expand and addition

    To expand a current filesystem, run the "vxresize" command. no downtime
    needed. If the filesystem is very busy, it might take a logn time to do
    this, but no downtime needed. (best to wait for a time where it will not
    be too busy).

    B.T.W

    I presume that you have a volume (not just a disk). You can increase the
    size of the volume (without doing anything to the filesystem size) by
    running the vxassist command. Once the volume is bigger, you can resize
    the filesystem (vxfs that is) usnig the fsadm command.

    You can use the VEA GUI to do this with (/opt/VRTSob/bin/vea).

    Adding a new filesystem under VCS control is as simple as adding a new
    resource (in the correct Service Group). Again, the VCS GUI can be used,
    or the command-line:

    haconf -makerw
    hares -add

    # then set all the settings for the resource, like the mount point, the
    type of filesystem, etc.

    hares -modify

    # then you need to enable the resource
    hares -modify Enable 1

    # and finally save
    haconf -dump -makero

    ALL of the above online

    If you get stuck, call Veritas Support, they will know how to help you,
    or if you want, post here:

    1. vxprint -th (and indicate the diskgroup and volume you want to
    increase)

    2. df -k (or specify the mount point)

    3. Specify if you want to use all the remaining sace or any a bit

    4. For VCS config:

    a) Specify the name of the new resource
    b) which service group it will go into
    c) the volume (or disk) you want to mount
    d) what kind of filesystem it is (VxFS or UFS)
    e) mount point
    f) any current resources that would depend on this new one (names) and
    any resources this new one would depend upon.

    If you give me all of the above, I will give you the commands to type to
    get it going (sorry, a bit difficult to explain the GUI)

    Biju K Joseph wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have a request for adding a new file system under VCS and expand an existing
    > file system which is under VCS control. My question is should it require
    > an outage.The new file system will be created in an existing diskgroup only.
    > There is enough free space in the diskgroup.
    >
    > Appreciate all your help.
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: File System expand and addition

    Hello,

    Thank you very much for the quick response.

    For extending the filesystem, I will use the "vxresize" command so that it
    will extend volume and file system together. No outage required. So that
    part is clear.

    My doubt is about new file system. I had to create "sapdataL" volume similer
    to the "sapdataK" volume. The following are the details that I can find for
    "sapdataK" from the main.cf file.
    Mount mount_sapdataK (
    MountPoint = "/oracle/DWP/sapdataK"
    BlockDevice = "/dev/vx/dsk/oradg/sapdatavolK"
    FSType = vxfs
    MountOpt = "largefiles,nosuid"
    FsckOpt = "\\-y"
    )

    Oracle_DWP requires mount_sapdataK

    Oracle_Listener requires mount_sapdataK

    mount_sapdataK requires oravol_mount

    This is what I am assuming. Please correct me if I am wrong.

    I will create the new volume using vxassist, will create the file system
    and mount point.And will test by manual mouting. Once successfull, I will
    unmount it. Then I will add the "mount_sapdataL" resource using "hares add"
    and "hares modify" options. Also will create the dependencies using hares.
    Finally enable the resource using hares. As per my understanding the file
    system should get mounted now.

    One doubt that I have is since Oracle_DWP and Oracle_Listener are going to
    be dependent on the new resource, should I restart that resources also. If
    that is the case I think, I had to get downtime. Please confirm.

    Please let me know if you need any additional information.

    Thanks
    Biju K Joseph.

    Me wrote:
    >To expand a current filesystem, run the "vxresize" command. no downtime

    >needed. If the filesystem is very busy, it might take a logn time to do

    >this, but no downtime needed. (best to wait for a time where it will not

    >be too busy).
    >
    >B.T.W
    >
    >I presume that you have a volume (not just a disk). You can increase the

    >size of the volume (without doing anything to the filesystem size) by
    >running the vxassist command. Once the volume is bigger, you can resize

    >the filesystem (vxfs that is) usnig the fsadm command.
    >
    >You can use the VEA GUI to do this with (/opt/VRTSob/bin/vea).
    >

    >Adding a new filesystem under VCS control is as simple as adding a new
    >resource (in the correct Service Group). Again, the VCS GUI can be used,

    >or the command-line:
    >
    >haconf -makerw
    >hares -add
    >
    ># then set all the settings for the resource, like the mount point, the

    >type of filesystem, etc.
    >

    >hares -modify
    >

    ># then you need to enable the resource
    >hares -modify Enable 1
    >
    ># and finally save
    >haconf -dump -makero
    >

    >ALL of the above online
    >

    >If you get stuck, call Veritas Support, they will know how to help you,

    >or if you want, post here:
    >
    >1. vxprint -th (and indicate the diskgroup and volume you want to
    >increase)
    >
    >2. df -k (or specify the mount point)
    >
    >3. Specify if you want to use all the remaining sace or any a bit
    >
    >4. For VCS config:
    >
    >a) Specify the name of the new resource
    >b) which service group it will go into
    >c) the volume (or disk) you want to mount
    >d) what kind of filesystem it is (VxFS or UFS)
    >e) mount point
    >f) any current resources that would depend on this new one (names) and
    >any resources this new one would depend upon.
    >

    >If you give me all of the above, I will give you the commands to type to

    >get it going (sorry, a bit difficult to explain the GUI)
    >

    >Biju K Joseph wrote:
    >> Hello All,
    >>
    >> I have a request for adding a new file system under VCS and expand an

    existing
    >> file system which is under VCS control. My question is should it require
    >> an outage.The new file system will be created in an existing diskgroup

    only.
    >> There is enough free space in the diskgroup.
    >>
    >> Appreciate all your help.
    >>
    >> Thanks

  4. Re: File System expand and addition

    Right all the way !!!

    Only issue is that the ersource will not automatically go online. As
    soon as you enable the resource, VCS will start monitoring it.

    You need to either :

    1. online the resource usnig the "hares -online" command or
    2. Keep the filesystem mounted and after the first monitor, VCS will
    continue to do it's job.

    Too easy

+ Reply to Thread