2 x 1 node clusters in a GCO environment - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on 2 x 1 node clusters in a GCO environment - Veritas Cluster Server ; I have 2 onenode clusters spread over 2 sites this is a WAN environment and the data is on 2 EMC's connected to each other with SRDF. With standard setup of VCS 4.1 incl GCO only the ICMP heartbeat is ...

  1. 2 x 1 node clusters in a GCO environment

    I have 2 onenode clusters spread over 2 sites
    this is a WAN environment and the data is on 2 EMC's connected to each other
    with SRDF.
    With standard setup of VCS 4.1 incl GCO only the ICMP heartbeat is installed..

    a. What more options do i have to make this more reliable (more heartbeats);
    where can i find the right docs on setting up SRDF heartbeats as wel
    b. where can i find good documents on setting up an arbitrairy site (3rd
    site)

    Regards,
    Maurice

  2. Re: 2 x 1 node clusters in a GCO environment

    The 3rd site is called a "steward". The documentation for this is part
    of the Admin Guide for 4.1

    Another question is why did you use the GCO bit ? VCS 4.1 can heartbeat
    over WAN (although a steward is still suggested). You can also use the
    SRDF agent that comes with VCS 4.1

    Maurice wrote:
    > I have 2 onenode clusters spread over 2 sites
    > this is a WAN environment and the data is on 2 EMC's connected to each other
    > with SRDF.
    > With standard setup of VCS 4.1 incl GCO only the ICMP heartbeat is installed..
    >
    > a. What more options do i have to make this more reliable (more heartbeats);
    > where can i find the right docs on setting up SRDF heartbeats as wel
    > b. where can i find good documents on setting up an arbitrairy site (3rd
    > site)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Maurice

  3. Re: 2 x 1 node clusters in a GCO environment

    Thx sofar

    What do you mean with "why use the GCO-bit?"
    I have 2 sites and both have different subnets And I don't want to use a
    VLAN. This leaves me little option than to use GCO. Besides that, I think
    the whole GCO (incl dynamic DNS and SRDF failover) works quite well

    I can use the SRDF agent as a heartbeat? Any docs on how?
    Purely setup a new heartbeat and use the SRDF information?

    Regards,
    Maurice

    Me wrote:
    >The 3rd site is called a "steward". The documentation for this is part
    >of the Admin Guide for 4.1
    >

    >Another question is why did you use the GCO bit ? VCS 4.1 can heartbeat

    >over WAN (although a steward is still suggested). You can also use the
    >SRDF agent that comes with VCS 4.1
    >
    >Maurice wrote:
    >> I have 2 onenode clusters spread over 2 sites
    >> this is a WAN environment and the data is on 2 EMC's connected to each

    other
    >> with SRDF.
    >> With standard setup of VCS 4.1 incl GCO only the ICMP heartbeat is installed..
    >>
    >> a. What more options do i have to make this more reliable (more heartbeats);
    >> where can i find the right docs on setting up SRDF heartbeats as wel
    >> b. where can i find good documents on setting up an arbitrairy site (3rd
    >> site)
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Maurice

  4. Re: 2 x 1 node clusters in a GCO environment

    Different subnets, better to use GCO

    SRDF agent can not be used as heartbeat. Boils down to switching R1 and
    R2 sites.

    Maurice wrote:
    > Thx sofar
    >
    > What do you mean with "why use the GCO-bit?"
    > I have 2 sites and both have different subnets And I don't want to use a
    > VLAN. This leaves me little option than to use GCO. Besides that, I think
    > the whole GCO (incl dynamic DNS and SRDF failover) works quite well
    >
    > I can use the SRDF agent as a heartbeat? Any docs on how?
    > Purely setup a new heartbeat and use the SRDF information?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Maurice
    >

    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>The 3rd site is called a "steward". The documentation for this is part
    >>of the Admin Guide for 4.1
    >>

    >>Another question is why did you use the GCO bit ? VCS 4.1 can heartbeat

    >>over WAN (although a steward is still suggested). You can also use the
    >>SRDF agent that comes with VCS 4.1
    >>
    >>Maurice wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have 2 onenode clusters spread over 2 sites
    >>>this is a WAN environment and the data is on 2 EMC's connected to each

    > other
    >
    >>>with SRDF.
    >>>With standard setup of VCS 4.1 incl GCO only the ICMP heartbeat is installed..
    >>>
    >>>a. What more options do i have to make this more reliable (more heartbeats);
    >>>where can i find the right docs on setting up SRDF heartbeats as wel
    >>>b. where can i find good documents on setting up an arbitrairy site (3rd
    >>>site)
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>Maurice

+ Reply to Thread