Bouncing Oracle - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Bouncing Oracle - Veritas Cluster Server ; I have my Oracle databases Critical 1 in my veritas cluster. There are times when I need to bounce the database. What is the recommended way to bounce Oracle and not cause a failover. Freeze? Offline? Critical 0? Some other ...

  1. Bouncing Oracle

    I have my Oracle databases Critical 1 in my veritas cluster. There are times
    when I need to bounce the database. What is the recommended way to bounce
    Oracle and not cause a failover. Freeze? Offline? Critical 0? Some other
    way?

    Mike

  2. Re: Bouncing Oracle

    Depends on what you want.

    If you freeze the service group, the resources can still go offline, but
    will not go online (thus fail-over).

    If you make the Oracle resource non-critical, it will not cause the rest
    of the service group resources to go down.

    If you offline the service group, it will take all resources down.

    So, now, if you only want to bounce the Oracle resource, I would:

    1. Make it non-critical (oracle and the listener)
    2. freeze the service group
    3. take the listener and oracle resources down (hares -offline
    -sys )

    Mike S. wrote:
    > I have my Oracle databases Critical 1 in my veritas cluster. There are times
    > when I need to bounce the database. What is the recommended way to bounce
    > Oracle and not cause a failover. Freeze? Offline? Critical 0? Some other
    > way?
    >
    > Mike

  3. Re: Bouncing Oracle

    Okay now this rookie is confused. Are you saying I should do 1,2 and 3?
    If so can you explain why after making the db non-critical whay I would
    also need to freeze and take offline?
    Mike

    Me wrote:
    >Depends on what you want.
    >
    >If you freeze the service group, the resources can still go offline, but

    >will not go online (thus fail-over).
    >
    >If you make the Oracle resource non-critical, it will not cause the rest

    >of the service group resources to go down.
    >
    >If you offline the service group, it will take all resources down.
    >

    >So, now, if you only want to bounce the Oracle resource, I would:
    >
    >1. Make it non-critical (oracle and the listener)
    >2. freeze the service group
    >3. take the listener and oracle resources down (hares -offline
    > -sys )
    >
    >Mike S. wrote:
    >> I have my Oracle databases Critical 1 in my veritas cluster. There are

    times
    >> when I need to bounce the database. What is the recommended way to

    bounce
    >> Oracle and not cause a failover. Freeze? Offline? Critical 0? Some other
    >> way?
    >>
    >> Mike

  4. Re: Bouncing Oracle

    If you make the resouce non-critical and another critical resource in
    the service group fails,, the service group (and Oracle) will still
    fail-over. If you want this, don't freeze the service group.

    The ofline of the resource is just to help you so you don't need to

    su - oracle
    set the environment
    sqlplus
    shutdown the database

    compared to "hares - offline"

    (but if you like typing - use the long method)

    Mike wrote:
    > Okay now this rookie is confused. Are you saying I should do 1,2 and 3?
    > If so can you explain why after making the db non-critical whay I would
    > also need to freeze and take offline?
    > Mike
    >
    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>Depends on what you want.
    >>
    >>If you freeze the service group, the resources can still go offline, but

    >>will not go online (thus fail-over).
    >>
    >>If you make the Oracle resource non-critical, it will not cause the rest

    >>of the service group resources to go down.
    >>
    >>If you offline the service group, it will take all resources down.
    >>

    >>So, now, if you only want to bounce the Oracle resource, I would:
    >>
    >>1. Make it non-critical (oracle and the listener)
    >>2. freeze the service group
    >>3. take the listener and oracle resources down (hares -offline
    >> -sys )
    >>
    >>Mike S. wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have my Oracle databases Critical 1 in my veritas cluster. There are

    > times
    >
    >>>when I need to bounce the database. What is the recommended way to

    > bounce
    >
    >>>Oracle and not cause a failover. Freeze? Offline? Critical 0? Some other
    >>>way?
    >>>
    >>>Mike

  5. Re: Bouncing Oracle

    Hello Mike,

    For this purpose, I've created a user in the cluster (hauser) for DBAs. Then
    I've given operator privileges to this user on all resource groups having
    a DB resouce. Operator can online/offline resources, but can't change/delete
    resources.

    Then I've created a wrapper arround hares to provide them with a tool used
    to online/offline database resource and its related diskgroup (import/deport)
    as our DBs are based on raw-volumes.

    The only argument needed for the wrapper is the Oracle SID. Then the wrapper
    search the cluster for the resource group where an oracle type resource has
    a matching SID and then get oracle resouce name and the diskgroup resource
    name as well.

    Databases and Diskgroups resources are always enabled/critical but DBAs can
    use hares command to online/offline them without having the SG becomes faulty.

    The wrapper runs:

    halogin ...
    hares/hagrp/hastatus (several times for checking purpose)
    hares -online/offline + hares -wait
    halogin -endsession

    Syntax is like:

    vxdb SID -online (-dgonly)
    vxdb SID -offline (-dg)

    "Mike S." wrote:

    >I have my Oracle databases Critical 1 in my veritas cluster. There are

    times
    >when I need to bounce the database. What is the recommended way to bounce
    >Oracle and not cause a failover. Freeze? Offline? Critical 0? Some other
    >way?
    >
    >Mike

+ Reply to Thread