NIC does not failover - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on NIC does not failover - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi, We have configure a MultiNIC resources in one of the service group, but when we pulled our LAN cable it does not failover to the failover LAN card. We are using VCS 3.5 in HP-UX 11.11. Our configration looks ...

  1. NIC does not failover

    Hi,

    We have configure a MultiNIC resources in one of the service group, but when
    we pulled our LAN cable it does not failover to the failover LAN card. We
    are using VCS 3.5 in HP-UX 11.11.
    Our configration looks like as following.

    MultiNICA TestMultiN (

    Critical = 0

    Device @hamlet1 = { lan2 = "199.40.40.76", lan3 = "199.40.40.76"
    }

    Device @hamlet2 = { lan2 = "199.40.40.77", lan3 = "199.40.40.77"
    }

    NetMask = "255.255.255.0"

    NetworkHosts @hamlet1 = { "199.40.40.76" }

    NetworkHosts @hamlet2 = { "199.40.40.77" }

    )

    We tried to do the test on HAMLET1 server..

    We configured several cluster with such kinds of setup & we never had any
    problem. Are we missing anything.

    Regards,

    Sandip

  2. Re: NIC does not failover

    Let me explain how VCS will test the network.

    It will ping the hosts you provide in the network hosts in the resource.
    The first answer - it will stop (why keep on testing if you get a ping
    reply ???). If the first host does not reply, then the next will be
    tested, and so on, ....

    If you do not specify network hosts, a broadcast will be sent and the
    number of ARP replies will be counted.

    OK, so let's look at your setup.

    So, on Hamlet1, you have the following interfaces plumbed up:

    lan2 : 199.40.40.76 (or if it failed over)
    lan3 : 199.40.40.76

    OK, so now you pull the cable, and VCS tests. So the first network host
    to ping:

    (from your configuration)

    NetworkHosts @hamlet1 = { "199.40.40.76" }

    OK, so now the question is, will this address be pingable ?

    YES. It is plumbed UP !!! On the same machine !!!!

    I guess it will never detect a cable pull in this case.

    So, what do you need to do ?

    Change the network hosts to something like a router or a gateway on the
    same subnet.

    (by the way, not a good idea to ping the IP address on the other
    machine. If the other machine - say hamlet2 - goes down, it will seem
    like hamlet1 has lost a network interface which is not really the case
    then is it ???)

    Test it and let us know

    Sandip Samanta wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have configure a MultiNIC resources in one of the service group, but when
    > we pulled our LAN cable it does not failover to the failover LAN card. We
    > are using VCS 3.5 in HP-UX 11.11.
    > Our configration looks like as following.
    >
    > MultiNICA TestMultiN (
    >
    > Critical = 0
    >
    > Device @hamlet1 = { lan2 = "199.40.40.76", lan3 = "199.40.40.76"
    > }
    >
    > Device @hamlet2 = { lan2 = "199.40.40.77", lan3 = "199.40.40.77"
    > }
    >
    > NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    >
    > NetworkHosts @hamlet1 = { "199.40.40.76" }
    >
    > NetworkHosts @hamlet2 = { "199.40.40.77" }
    >
    > )
    >

    > We tried to do the test on HAMLET1 server..
    >
    > We configured several cluster with such kinds of setup & we never had any
    > problem. Are we missing anything.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Sandip

  3. Re: NIC does not failover

    Me,

    Thanks a lot.. Great help !! Yes it is working now..

    Regards,

    Sandip

+ Reply to Thread