Interconnect - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Interconnect - Veritas Cluster Server ; If you're using Veritas Cluster Server (or RAC), you will need a minimum of 2 dedicated interconnects. Gab is broadcast "state" distributor. Thus, GAB allows 1 side of the cluster to communicate to the other side of the cluster. It ...

  1. Re: Interconnect

    If you're using Veritas Cluster Server (or RAC), you will need a minimum
    of 2 dedicated interconnects.

    Gab is broadcast "state" distributor. Thus, GAB allows 1 side of the
    cluster to communicate to the other side of the cluster. It uses LLT as
    a "carrier" (much like TCP/IP).

    GAB uses pre-defined ports for different parts of the communication. Like:

    port a = communication between the GAB processes on the nodes in a cluster

    port b = io fencing

    port d = ODM (if you're using RAC)

    port f = fsck to fsck in a cluster File System config (also used by RAC)

    port h = the main VCS process (had) communication with GAB to give the
    "state of the cluster" to the other side

    port o = Oracle to Oracle communication (in a RAC environment)

    port q = Qlog communication (Cluster File System)

    port u = establishing Volume Manager to Volume Manager communication

    port v = Volume Manager to Volume Manager communication in a Cluster
    Volume Manager config (also used by RAC)

    port w = Volume Manager to Volume Manager communication in a Cluster
    Volume Manager config (also used by RAC)

    So, all we need to see with GAB, are the number of "open" ports, and the
    members (nodes get numbers according to the /etc/llthosts file

    To check the membership, use "gabconfig -a"

    Now, LLT is the carrier of the GAB messages. This means that you can
    check the LLT stats (how many packets are carried, how many errors, ....)

    This is done with the "lltstat" command

    Sorry, don't know Oracle 10g to tell you about that.
    (Oracle 10g can do it's own clustering without the need for Veritas
    software)

    Tim wrote:
    > How can I determine how many interconnects I need for a 2 node cluster runnning
    > Oracle 10g. 4800 w 6cpu's, and a 1TB oracle db.
    >
    > How do I monitor and measure "gab" ?
    >
    > Sorry if this is a newbie question...

  2. Interconnect

    How can I determine how many interconnects I need for a 2 node cluster runnning
    Oracle 10g. 4800 w 6cpu's, and a 1TB oracle db.

    How do I monitor and measure "gab" ?

    Sorry if this is a newbie question...

+ Reply to Thread