Vcs over UDP - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Vcs over UDP - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi all, I try to setup Vcs over udp without success... I modify the /etc/llttab file with different udp settings but I never see communications between nodes with lltstat -nvv (other node stay down) In fact, llt over udp work ...

  1. Vcs over UDP

    Hi all,

    I try to setup Vcs over udp without success...

    I modify the /etc/llttab file with different udp settings but I never see
    communications between nodes with lltstat -nvv (other node stay down)

    In fact, llt over udp work when llt work also (without udp).
    Please anybody can tell me where I'm wrong ?

    Many thanks.
    Regards.

    Fab

  2. Re: Vcs over UDP

    LLT does not use UDP. It sits on the DLP level of the stack. (see the
    ISO stack for Networks - this is on layer 2)

    There are no UDP settings in the /etc/llttab

    What does your llttab look like ??? I presume you are trying to set the
    link stuff:

    link tag device_name systemid_range link_type sap mtu_size

    Something like
    (for Solaris)

    link qfe3 /dev/qfe:3 - ether - -

    With:

    the word "link" indicating that you are about to specify a link

    a tag (something you will call the interface - in my case qfe3)

    system id range specifies which nodes in the cluster (see the
    /etc/llthosts file) is valid for. The "-" means that for all nodes in
    the cluster

    link_type will always be "ether" (only ethernet is supported)

    sap - default value is 0xcafe (indicated with a "-"), but you can set it
    to what you like, as long as you have the same sap value on all the
    nodes in the cluster

    mtu_size is the MTU (see TCP/IP doco for what this is). The default
    value is 1500 (on Solaris), also represented with a "-" in my example.

    ---------------------------
    Low-pri links have the same settings.

    Remember:
    ----------

    LLT is not routable. It does not use ports (Mac address to Mac address
    communication). The biggest difference between low-pri and "normal"
    (dedicated) links, is the information carried on the low-pri links (only
    heartbeats - no GAB -- or cluster config info)

    Fab wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I try to setup Vcs over udp without success...
    >
    > I modify the /etc/llttab file with different udp settings but I never see
    > communications between nodes with lltstat -nvv (other node stay down)
    >
    > In fact, llt over udp work when llt work also (without udp).
    > Please anybody can tell me where I'm wrong ?
    >
    > Many thanks.
    > Regards.
    >
    > Fab

  3. Re: Vcs over UDP

    Well Hi me ,

    I think that you must read VCS installation guide and you will see that is
    it possible to use llt over a wan so you have to use UDP.

    llttab look like :

    link bge0 /dev/udp - udp 0x50001 - 192.168.0.1
    192.168.0.255

    Best regards.

    Fab

    "Me" a écrit dans le message de news:
    4255C1DE.60404@hotmail.com...
    > LLT does not use UDP. It sits on the DLP level of the stack. (see the
    > ISO stack for Networks - this is on layer 2)
    >

    > There are no UDP settings in the /etc/llttab
    >

    > What does your llttab look like ??? I presume you are trying to set the
    > link stuff:
    >

    > link tag device_name systemid_range link_type sap mtu_size
    >

    > Something like
    > (for Solaris)
    >

    > link qfe3 /dev/qfe:3 - ether - -
    >

    > With:
    >
    > the word "link" indicating that you are about to specify a link
    >
    > a tag (something you will call the interface - in my case qfe3)
    >
    > system id range specifies which nodes in the cluster (see the
    > /etc/llthosts file) is valid for. The "-" means that for all nodes in
    > the cluster
    >
    > link_type will always be "ether" (only ethernet is supported)
    >
    > sap - default value is 0xcafe (indicated with a "-"), but you can set it
    > to what you like, as long as you have the same sap value on all the
    > nodes in the cluster
    >
    > mtu_size is the MTU (see TCP/IP doco for what this is). The default
    > value is 1500 (on Solaris), also represented with a "-" in my example.
    >

    > ---------------------------
    > Low-pri links have the same settings.
    >

    > Remember:
    > ----------
    >

    > LLT is not routable. It does not use ports (Mac address to Mac address
    > communication). The biggest difference between low-pri and "normal"
    > (dedicated) links, is the information carried on the low-pri links (only
    > heartbeats - no GAB -- or cluster config info)
    >

    > Fab wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I try to setup Vcs over udp without success...
    > >
    > > I modify the /etc/llttab file with different udp settings but I never

    see
    > > communications between nodes with lltstat -nvv (other node stay down)
    > >
    > > In fact, llt over udp work when llt work also (without udp).
    > > Please anybody can tell me where I'm wrong ?
    > >
    > > Many thanks.
    > > Regards.
    > >
    > > Fab

  4. Re: Vcs over UDP

    OK - new in 4.1

    Still , the UDP port range is not correct. It needs to be in decimal
    (not hex or octal, and in the range 49151 to 65535)

    B.T.W

    0x50001 will be seen by the softawre as an octal number and not a hex number

    And are you using the same port on the other side ?

    Fab wrote:
    > Well Hi me ,
    >
    > I think that you must read VCS installation guide and you will see that is
    > it possible to use llt over a wan so you have to use UDP.
    >
    > llttab look like :
    >
    > link bge0 /dev/udp - udp 0x50001 - 192.168.0.1
    > 192.168.0.255
    >
    > Best regards.
    >
    > Fab
    >

    > "Me" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 4255C1DE.60404@hotmail.com...
    >
    >>LLT does not use UDP. It sits on the DLP level of the stack. (see the
    >>ISO stack for Networks - this is on layer 2)
    >>

    >>There are no UDP settings in the /etc/llttab
    >>

    >>What does your llttab look like ??? I presume you are trying to set the
    >>link stuff:
    >>

    >>link tag device_name systemid_range link_type sap mtu_size
    >>

    >>Something like
    >>(for Solaris)
    >>

    >>link qfe3 /dev/qfe:3 - ether - -
    >>

    >>With:
    >>
    >>the word "link" indicating that you are about to specify a link
    >>
    >>a tag (something you will call the interface - in my case qfe3)
    >>
    >>system id range specifies which nodes in the cluster (see the
    >>/etc/llthosts file) is valid for. The "-" means that for all nodes in
    >>the cluster
    >>
    >>link_type will always be "ether" (only ethernet is supported)
    >>
    >>sap - default value is 0xcafe (indicated with a "-"), but you can set it
    >>to what you like, as long as you have the same sap value on all the
    >>nodes in the cluster
    >>
    >>mtu_size is the MTU (see TCP/IP doco for what this is). The default
    >>value is 1500 (on Solaris), also represented with a "-" in my example.
    >>

    >>---------------------------
    >> Low-pri links have the same settings.
    >>

    >>Remember:
    >>----------
    >>

    >>LLT is not routable. It does not use ports (Mac address to Mac address
    >>communication). The biggest difference between low-pri and "normal"
    >>(dedicated) links, is the information carried on the low-pri links (only
    >>heartbeats - no GAB -- or cluster config info)
    >>

    >>Fab wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>I try to setup Vcs over udp without success...
    >>>
    >>>I modify the /etc/llttab file with different udp settings but I never

    > see
    >
    >>>communications between nodes with lltstat -nvv (other node stay down)
    >>>
    >>>In fact, llt over udp work when llt work also (without udp).
    >>>Please anybody can tell me where I'm wrong ?
    >>>
    >>>Many thanks.
    >>>Regards.
    >>>
    >>>Fab

  5. Re: Vcs over UDP

    Hi,

    Yes I use the same port number on each side.

    I test udp protocol with some software found on the web and it works.

    4257B696.1050405@hotmail.com...
    > OK - new in 4.1
    >
    > Still , the UDP port range is not correct. It needs to be in decimal
    > (not hex or octal, and in the range 49151 to 65535)
    >
    > B.T.W
    >
    > 0x50001 will be seen by the softawre as an octal number and not a hex

    number

    > And are you using the same port on the other side ?
    >

    > Fab wrote:
    > > Well Hi me ,
    > >
    > > I think that you must read VCS installation guide and you will see that

    is
    > > it possible to use llt over a wan so you have to use UDP.
    > >
    > > llttab look like :
    > >
    > > link bge0 /dev/udp - udp 0x50001 - 192.168.0.1
    > > 192.168.0.255
    > >
    > > Best regards.
    > >
    > > Fab
    > >

    > > "Me" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > > 4255C1DE.60404@hotmail.com...
    > >
    > >>LLT does not use UDP. It sits on the DLP level of the stack. (see the
    > >>ISO stack for Networks - this is on layer 2)
    > >>

    > >>There are no UDP settings in the /etc/llttab
    > >>

    > >>What does your llttab look like ??? I presume you are trying to set the
    > >>link stuff:
    > >>

    > >>link tag device_name systemid_range link_type sap mtu_size
    > >>

    > >>Something like
    > >>(for Solaris)
    > >>

    > >>link qfe3 /dev/qfe:3 - ether - -
    > >>

    > >>With:
    > >>
    > >>the word "link" indicating that you are about to specify a link
    > >>
    > >>a tag (something you will call the interface - in my case qfe3)
    > >>
    > >>system id range specifies which nodes in the cluster (see the
    > >>/etc/llthosts file) is valid for. The "-" means that for all nodes in
    > >>the cluster
    > >>
    > >>link_type will always be "ether" (only ethernet is supported)
    > >>
    > >>sap - default value is 0xcafe (indicated with a "-"), but you can set it
    > >>to what you like, as long as you have the same sap value on all the
    > >>nodes in the cluster
    > >>
    > >>mtu_size is the MTU (see TCP/IP doco for what this is). The default
    > >>value is 1500 (on Solaris), also represented with a "-" in my example.
    > >>

    > >>---------------------------
    > >> Low-pri links have the same settings.
    > >>

    > >>Remember:
    > >>----------
    > >>

    > >>LLT is not routable. It does not use ports (Mac address to Mac address
    > >>communication). The biggest difference between low-pri and "normal"
    > >>(dedicated) links, is the information carried on the low-pri links (only
    > >>heartbeats - no GAB -- or cluster config info)

    > > see

  6. Re: Vcs over UDP

    and you changed the port and restastred LLT and it still does not work ?

    Fab wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Yes I use the same port number on each side.
    >
    > I test udp protocol with some software found on the web and it works.
    >
    > Fab
    >
    > "Me" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 4257B696.1050405@hotmail.com...
    >
    >>OK - new in 4.1
    >>
    >>Still , the UDP port range is not correct. It needs to be in decimal
    >>(not hex or octal, and in the range 49151 to 65535)
    >>
    >>B.T.W
    >>
    >>0x50001 will be seen by the softawre as an octal number and not a hex

    > number
    >
    >>And are you using the same port on the other side ?
    >>

    >>Fab wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well Hi me ,
    >>>
    >>>I think that you must read VCS installation guide and you will see that

    > is
    >
    >>>it possible to use llt over a wan so you have to use UDP.
    >>>
    >>>llttab look like :
    >>>
    >>>link bge0 /dev/udp - udp 0x50001 - 192.168.0.1
    >>>192.168.0.255
    >>>
    >>>Best regards.
    >>>
    >>>Fab
    >>>

    >>>"Me" a écrit dans le message de news:
    >>>4255C1DE.60404@hotmail.com...

    >>>see

  7. Re: Vcs over UDP

    Yes, I don't understand.

    Even with netsta -a I could see that this damned UDP is "up" and idle, but
    my node stay down on the other side.

    425A3082.7000405@hotmail.com...

+ Reply to Thread