VCS running Oracle with Data Guard - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on VCS running Oracle with Data Guard - Veritas Cluster Server ; I have a Solaris 2.9 VCS cluster of 2 nodes running Oracle 9.2.0.4. I'm trying to set up a physical standby server using Oracle Data Guard to a single server at a remote site. Data Guard runs fine when the ...

  1. VCS running Oracle with Data Guard

    I have a Solaris 2.9 VCS cluster of 2 nodes running Oracle 9.2.0.4. I'm trying
    to set up a physical standby server using Oracle Data Guard to a single server
    at a remote site. Data Guard runs fine when the primary DB is on the original
    server it was created on. When I fail over the DB to the other cluster node,
    Data Guard stops working. It looks like this is an Oracle Intelligent agent
    problem in that it binds the hostname to the physical hostname rather than
    the logical hostname/IP used by my Oracle service group. Has anyone had
    success using Data Guard and VCS?

  2. Re: VCS running Oracle with Data Guard

    Have you tried using VVR ?

    "Paul" wrote in message news:4020693c@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > I have a Solaris 2.9 VCS cluster of 2 nodes running Oracle 9.2.0.4. I'm

    trying
    > to set up a physical standby server using Oracle Data Guard to a single

    server
    > at a remote site. Data Guard runs fine when the primary DB is on the

    original
    > server it was created on. When I fail over the DB to the other cluster

    node,
    > Data Guard stops working. It looks like this is an Oracle Intelligent

    agent
    > problem in that it binds the hostname to the physical hostname rather than
    > the logical hostname/IP used by my Oracle service group. Has anyone had
    > success using Data Guard and VCS?

  3. Re: VCS running Oracle with Data Guard

    Why would I want to buy another product when this "should" work, not to mention
    provide tighter integration from an Oracle standpoint? If VVR is anything
    like Storage Replicator on the W2K side, it's nothing to write home about.
    If VVR can switch my database over from a primary to remote site with a
    click of a button and have the ability to easily switch back to the original
    site, let me know.

    "Me" wrote:
    >Have you tried using VVR ?
    >

    >"Paul" wrote in message news:4020693c@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >> I have a Solaris 2.9 VCS cluster of 2 nodes running Oracle 9.2.0.4. I'm

    >trying
    >> to set up a physical standby server using Oracle Data Guard to a single

    >server
    >> at a remote site. Data Guard runs fine when the primary DB is on the

    >original
    >> server it was created on. When I fail over the DB to the other cluster

    >node,
    >> Data Guard stops working. It looks like this is an Oracle Intelligent

    >agent
    >> problem in that it binds the hostname to the physical hostname rather

    than
    >> the logical hostname/IP used by my Oracle service group. Has anyone had
    >> success using Data Guard and VCS?

  4. Re: VCS running Oracle with Data Guard

    VVR comes with Volume Manager (extra license required).

    If you want to switch between different sites, you might need Global Cluster
    Manager (GCM)

    There is another possibility.

    THere is a VCS agent to change the hostname. If this is your problem, that
    might solve it. Speak to your sale rep. or to the Sales Engineer (SE)

    > >> I have a Solaris 2.9 VCS cluster of 2 nodes running Oracle 9.2.0.4.

    I'm
    > >trying
    > >> to set up a physical standby server using Oracle Data Guard to a single

    > >server
    > >> at a remote site. Data Guard runs fine when the primary DB is on the

    > >original
    > >> server it was created on. When I fail over the DB to the other cluster

    > >node,
    > >> Data Guard stops working. It looks like this is an Oracle Intelligent

    > >agent
    > >> problem in that it binds the hostname to the physical hostname rather

    > than
    > >> the logical hostname/IP used by my Oracle service group. Has anyone

    had
    > >> success using Data Guard and VCS?

+ Reply to Thread