vxfencing diskgroup properities - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on vxfencing diskgroup properities - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi, Anyone know when creating diskgroup (vxfencoorddg), should it be a normal or shared diskgroup in a Oracle RAC enviroment? And have comfirmed that in a functional setup. Thanks...

  1. vxfencing diskgroup properities

    Hi,

    Anyone know when creating diskgroup (vxfencoorddg), should it be a normal
    or shared diskgroup in a Oracle RAC enviroment? And have comfirmed that in
    a functional setup.

    Thanks

  2. Re: vxfencing diskgroup properities

    Hi Wong,

    Just finished installing DBE/AC MP1 with point patch 3. Used Oracle 9i Rel
    2 Patch 3. Hardware used: 2 x SunFireV480 connected to 1x StorEdge 3510.

    Created a regular diskgroup, as per the installation manual. If you follow
    the instructions you should pretty much be OK.
    The only "gotcha" is that the shared diskgroups created later should have
    "diskdetpolicy=global", instead of "diskdetpolicy=local" as stated in the
    manual.

    Regs,
    Andy
    "wong " wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > Anyone know when creating diskgroup (vxfencoorddg), should it be a normal
    > or shared diskgroup in a Oracle RAC enviroment? And have comfirmed that in
    > a functional setup.
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: vxfencing diskgroup properities

    Hi Andy,

    Thanks for the info.

    So the fencing diskgroup should be a regular rather that a shared diskgroup.

    I have read the technote about the "diskdetpolicy=global", but i thinks this
    setting should not be applicable for hardware raid(lun), right ?

    Regs,
    wong

    "Andy S" wrote:
    >Hi Wong,
    >
    >Just finished installing DBE/AC MP1 with point patch 3. Used Oracle 9i

    Rel
    >2 Patch 3. Hardware used: 2 x SunFireV480 connected to 1x StorEdge 3510.
    >

    >Created a regular diskgroup, as per the installation manual. If you follow
    >the instructions you should pretty much be OK.
    >The only "gotcha" is that the shared diskgroups created later should have
    >"diskdetpolicy=global", instead of "diskdetpolicy=local" as stated in the
    >manual.
    >
    >Regs,
    >Andy
    >"wong " wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Anyone know when creating diskgroup (vxfencoorddg), should it be a normal
    >> or shared diskgroup in a Oracle RAC enviroment? And have comfirmed that

    in
    >> a functional setup.
    >>
    >> Thanks

  4. Re: vxfencing diskgroup properities

    Hi Wong,

    yes the vxfencoorddg should be just a regular diskgroup.

    Before I read the technote, I was getting some CVM errors about unidentified
    clients, but after switching diskdetpolicy to globel, they disappeared.
    However, even on RAID, each LUN is connected to more than one system, so all
    systems should be made aware of a failure/detachment on another system.
    This is the extract from the man page describing this attribute:

    Attribute Values for Disk Group Records
    diskdetpolicy
    Sets a disk group detach policy. These policies
    determine the way the Volume Manager detaches unusable
    disks in a shared disk group. The diskdetpolicy
    attribute is ignored for private disk groups.

    global
    For a shared disk group, if any node in the
    cluster reports a disk failure, the detach occurs
    in the entire cluster.

    local
    If a disk fails, the failure is confined to the
    node that detected the failure. An attempt is
    made to communicate with all nodes in the cluster
    to ascertain the failed disk's usability. If all
    nodes report a problem with the failed disk, the
    disk is detached throughout the cluster. local is
    the default policy.

    It would be nice if someone from Veritas reading this could confirm the
    recommended setting!

    Regs,
    Andy

    "wong" wrote in message news:3f326b4d@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Hi Andy,
    >
    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > So the fencing diskgroup should be a regular rather that a shared

    diskgroup.

    > I have read the technote about the "diskdetpolicy=global", but i thinks

    this
    > setting should not be applicable for hardware raid(lun), right ?
    >
    > Regs,
    > wong
    >
    > "Andy S" wrote:
    > >Hi Wong,
    > >
    > >Just finished installing DBE/AC MP1 with point patch 3. Used Oracle 9i

    > Rel
    > >2 Patch 3. Hardware used: 2 x SunFireV480 connected to 1x StorEdge 3510.
    > >

    > >Created a regular diskgroup, as per the installation manual. If you

    follow
    > >the instructions you should pretty much be OK.
    > >The only "gotcha" is that the shared diskgroups created later should have
    > >"diskdetpolicy=global", instead of "diskdetpolicy=local" as stated in the
    > >manual.
    > >
    > >Regs,
    > >Andy
    > >"wong " wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Anyone know when creating diskgroup (vxfencoorddg), should it be a

    normal
    > >> or shared diskgroup in a Oracle RAC enviroment? And have comfirmed that

    > in
    > >> a functional setup.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

  5. Re: vxfencing diskgroup properities

    make a nomal diskgroup .
    DBE/AC use disks for I/O fencing internally, not use diskgroup.
    so /etc/vxfentab is list of the coordinator disks

    when you setting the vxfendg.
    that contents is " vxfencoorddg".

    when you are type the "vxdisk -o alldgs list".
    you can see the disks for vxfencoorddg.
    that disks used for vxfen. and there are same in /etc/vxfentab.

    vxfen is finally use the disks in list of the /etc/vxfentab.

    "wong " wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > Anyone know when creating diskgroup (vxfencoorddg), should it be a normal
    > or shared diskgroup in a Oracle RAC enviroment? And have comfirmed that in
    > a functional setup.
    >
    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread