Cluster Server / Netbackup config - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Cluster Server / Netbackup config - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi All, I have a two node cluster, with Oracle configured on shared disk, for which I'm trying to configure a backup solution, as part of our existing Netbackup environment. We already have a Netbackup server, and I'm proposing to ...

  1. Cluster Server / Netbackup config

    Hi All,

    I have a two node cluster, with Oracle configured on shared disk, for which
    I'm trying to configure a backup solution, as part of our existing Netbackup
    environment. We already have a Netbackup server, and I'm proposing to
    configure both nodes of the cluster as Netbackup clients. However, I need
    to clarify how the Oracle on the shared disk is backed up. (does not have
    be hot-backup; we can shut down the DB at night)

    I've written bpstart and bpend scripts to freeze the VCS service group, shut
    down Oracle, perform the backup and then restart Oracle, unfreezing the
    server group, which I've installed on both nodes, and take backups from both
    nodes. These appear to work, but the non-active node fails to backup, as it
    has nothing to back up.

    If somebody has implemented this scenario in a more "elegant" manner, or has
    some suggestions as to how to improve the setup, I'd appreciate any input.

    I was also considering configuring a third client for the two node cluster,
    that uses the floating IP address assigned to the Oracle instance, to
    perform backups. This way I'd be performing only one backup, instead of two.
    Of course, this would be at the expense of an additional backup license.

    TIA
    Andy

  2. Re: Cluster Server / Netbackup config

    you actually follow the recommendation but you could avoid the failed backup
    on the inactive node by specifying the virtual name in the class for the
    client to backup

    "Andy S Panayiotou" wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a two node cluster, with Oracle configured on shared disk, for

    which
    > I'm trying to configure a backup solution, as part of our existing

    Netbackup
    > environment. We already have a Netbackup server, and I'm proposing to
    > configure both nodes of the cluster as Netbackup clients. However, I need
    > to clarify how the Oracle on the shared disk is backed up. (does not have
    > be hot-backup; we can shut down the DB at night)
    >
    > I've written bpstart and bpend scripts to freeze the VCS service group,

    shut
    > down Oracle, perform the backup and then restart Oracle, unfreezing the
    > server group, which I've installed on both nodes, and take backups from

    both
    > nodes. These appear to work, but the non-active node fails to backup, as

    it
    > has nothing to back up.
    >
    > If somebody has implemented this scenario in a more "elegant" manner, or

    has
    > some suggestions as to how to improve the setup, I'd appreciate any input.
    >
    > I was also considering configuring a third client for the two node

    cluster,
    > that uses the floating IP address assigned to the Oracle instance, to
    > perform backups. This way I'd be performing only one backup, instead of

    two.
    > Of course, this would be at the expense of an additional backup license.
    >
    > TIA
    > Andy

  3. Re: Cluster Server / Netbackup config

    For shared disks you use the virtual name or ip address.
    for the other diskgroups you have to use the statis ip address.
    In this case you have to have third license for client.

    Simer

    "the 13th warrior" wrote:
    >you actually follow the recommendation but you could avoid the failed backup
    >on the inactive node by specifying the virtual name in the class for the
    >client to backup
    >
    >"Andy S Panayiotou" wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I have a two node cluster, with Oracle configured on shared disk, for

    >which
    >> I'm trying to configure a backup solution, as part of our existing

    >Netbackup
    >> environment. We already have a Netbackup server, and I'm proposing to
    >> configure both nodes of the cluster as Netbackup clients. However, I

    need
    >> to clarify how the Oracle on the shared disk is backed up. (does not

    have
    >> be hot-backup; we can shut down the DB at night)
    >>
    >> I've written bpstart and bpend scripts to freeze the VCS service group,

    >shut
    >> down Oracle, perform the backup and then restart Oracle, unfreezing the
    >> server group, which I've installed on both nodes, and take backups from

    >both
    >> nodes. These appear to work, but the non-active node fails to backup,

    as
    >it
    >> has nothing to back up.
    >>
    >> If somebody has implemented this scenario in a more "elegant" manner,

    or
    >has
    >> some suggestions as to how to improve the setup, I'd appreciate any input.
    >>
    >> I was also considering configuring a third client for the two node

    >cluster,
    >> that uses the floating IP address assigned to the Oracle instance, to
    >> perform backups. This way I'd be performing only one backup, instead of

    >two.
    >> Of course, this would be at the expense of an additional backup license.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Andy

+ Reply to Thread