Configuring volumes in VCS - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Configuring volumes in VCS - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi all, Although I had designed many veritas clusters but I wnat to try and not configure volumes as resources Just diskgroup amd mount resource is sufficient. As diskgroup type resources also start volumes.I think volume resources is not required. ...

  1. Configuring volumes in VCS

    Hi all,

    Although I had designed many veritas clusters but I wnat to try and not
    configure volumes as resources
    Just diskgroup amd mount resource is sufficient.
    As diskgroup type resources also start volumes.I think volume resources is
    not required.
    I tested this in a small environment and it works fine.

    Any comments from any body if any problems can be faced from this proctically
    and paticularily in large environment.

    Tnankx

    Simer

  2. Re: Configuring volumes in VCS

    I have just joined a vcs 3.5 course. During this
    course the teacher confirmed (we tested it as well)
    that there is no
    need to create any volume resources anymore.
    Just make a disk group resource and the mount resoure.
    That is it.

    bye stefan

    "Simer" wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Although I had designed many veritas clusters but I wnat to try and not
    >configure volumes as resources
    >Just diskgroup amd mount resource is sufficient.
    >As diskgroup type resources also start volumes.I think volume resources

    is
    >not required.
    >I tested this in a small environment and it works fine.
    >
    >Any comments from any body if any problems can be faced from this proctically
    >and paticularily in large environment.
    >

    >Tnankx
    >
    >Simer

  3. Re: Configuring volumes in VCS

    Hi,

    Remember that you don't get the monitoring of the volume if you only use
    the DiskGroup resource.

    /P

    Simer wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Although I had designed many veritas clusters but I wnat to try and not
    > configure volumes as resources
    > Just diskgroup amd mount resource is sufficient.
    > As diskgroup type resources also start volumes.I think volume resources is
    > not required.
    > I tested this in a small environment and it works fine.
    >
    > Any comments from any body if any problems can be faced from this proctically
    > and paticularily in large environment.
    >

    > Tnankx
    >
    > Simer

  4. Re: Configuring volumes in VCS

    Peter,
    I suppose if volume stops the mount point will be gone and we as we are monitoring
    thr mount points the resource failure will trigger failover.
    I tested it in a big cluster and it works well without volume resources.

    Simer

    Peter Sevborn wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Remember that you don't get the monitoring of the volume if you only use

    >the DiskGroup resource.
    >
    >/P
    >
    >Simer wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Although I had designed many veritas clusters but I wnat to try and not
    >> configure volumes as resources
    >> Just diskgroup amd mount resource is sufficient.
    >> As diskgroup type resources also start volumes.I think volume resources

    is
    >> not required.
    >> I tested this in a small environment and it works fine.
    >>
    >> Any comments from any body if any problems can be faced from this proctically
    >> and paticularily in large environment.
    >>

    >> Tnankx
    >>
    >> Simer

  5. Re: Configuring volumes in VCS

    Simer,
    I don't disagree with you. The only reason to use the volume resource is
    to get the monitoring of the actual volume, which is good if you use raw
    volumes. (Will make fault finding a lot easier).

    /Peter

    Simer wrote:
    > Peter,
    > I suppose if volume stops the mount point will be gone and we as we are monitoring
    > thr mount points the resource failure will trigger failover.
    > I tested it in a big cluster and it works well without volume resources.
    >
    > Simer
    >
    > Peter Sevborn wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Remember that you don't get the monitoring of the volume if you only use

    >>the DiskGroup resource.
    >>
    >>/P
    >>
    >>Simer wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>Although I had designed many veritas clusters but I wnat to try and not
    >>>configure volumes as resources
    >>>Just diskgroup amd mount resource is sufficient.
    >>>As diskgroup type resources also start volumes.I think volume resources

    > is
    >
    >>>not required.
    >>>I tested this in a small environment and it works fine.
    >>>
    >>>Any comments from any body if any problems can be faced from this proctically
    >>>and paticularily in large environment.
    >>>

    >>>Tnankx
    >>>
    >>>Simer

+ Reply to Thread