Configuring Oracel and VCS - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Configuring Oracel and VCS - Veritas Cluster Server ; I have Sun E4500 servers using Solaris 8 and DB Edition 3.5. I have configured VCS in the past with all the data (binaries, ctls, logs, etc.) located on a storage array, but I would like to configure it differently. ...

  1. Configuring Oracel and VCS

    I have Sun E4500 servers using Solaris 8 and DB Edition 3.5. I have configured
    VCS in the past with all the data (binaries, ctls, logs, etc.) located on
    a storage array, but I would like to configure it differently. I would like
    to have the oracle binaries located on the servers themselves and the rest
    on the storage array, but I am encountering a problem setting up the resource
    groups. When I created the volumes where the binaries will be located, the
    disk groups on each server are different. I belive that I do not have to
    import/export these volumes with VCS since the data does not change, but
    how do I configure VCS to recognize this setup? I have searched the knowledge
    base, but could not find any documents pertaining to this scenario. Any help
    would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Configuring Oracle and VCS

    If you are using local storage for ORACLE_HOME then VCS doesn't really need
    to know about it. Just put the mount points in /etc/vfstab. In our shop
    we've altered the OFA to accomodate this:

    /u01/apps/oracle/product/920 is mounted "locally" and duplicated on both
    nodes in the cluster.

    All other mount points are located in our SAN:

    /u02/apps/oracle/admin/<> is used for pfiles, logs, etc (stuff DBA's
    usually place under /u01).
    /u0[2-x]/apps/oracle/oradata/<> for the rest of the database files.

    I suppose this differs from Millsap's idea of OFA because we don't have
    an oradata or admin directory under /u01/app/oracle. The important point
    is that no instance specific files are located on non-shared storage under
    /u01.

    Hope this helps,

    Chris

    "John Tsinkelis" wrote:

    >I have Sun E4500 servers using Solaris 8 and DB Edition 3.5. I have configured
    >VCS in the past with all the data (binaries, ctls, logs, etc.) located on
    >a storage array, but I would like to configure it differently. I would like
    >to have the oracle binaries located on the servers themselves and the rest
    >on the storage array, but I am encountering a problem setting up the resource
    >groups. When I created the volumes where the binaries will be located, the
    >disk groups on each server are different. I belive that I do not have to
    >import/export these volumes with VCS since the data does not change, but
    >how do I configure VCS to recognize this setup? I have searched the knowledge
    >base, but could not find any documents pertaining to this scenario. Any

    help
    >would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks.

  3. Re: Configuring Oracel and VCS

    The best way to connfigure is to have the smae name for the groups on both
    the server and get it imported and activated

    If you are not having the same volume and group names you can still bring
    up the binaries outside VCs but it will be monitored by bcs and so no fail
    over on binary failures.

    Simer

    "John Tsinkelis" wrote:

    >I have Sun E4500 servers using Solaris 8 and DB Edition 3.5. I have configured
    >VCS in the past with all the data (binaries, ctls, logs, etc.) located on
    >a storage array, but I would like to configure it differently. I would like
    >to have the oracle binaries located on the servers themselves and the rest
    >on the storage array, but I am encountering a problem setting up the resource
    >groups. When I created the volumes where the binaries will be located, the
    >disk groups on each server are different. I belive that I do not have to
    >import/export these volumes with VCS since the data does not change, but
    >how do I configure VCS to recognize this setup? I have searched the knowledge
    >base, but could not find any documents pertaining to this scenario. Any

    help
    >would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks.

  4. Re: Configuring Oracel and VCS

    "There's more than one way to do it" (JAPHs in the crowd?)

    A. Unify the naming of the local diskgroup and mounts - the best solution.

    B. Leave binaries out of VCS, put them in vfstab. As Simer points out, VCS
    is not monitoring so failures of mount/volume/dg are not detected. Secondary
    monitoring would catch this (the optional test table we update to ensure
    database is healthy - part of our enterprise Oracle agent). And if necessary,
    localize unique parameters:

    Oracle btest3_db (
    Sid = btest3
    Owner = oracle
    Home @box1 = "/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7"
    Home @box2 = "/oops/app/oracle/product/8.1.7"
    Pfile @box1 = "/u01/app/oracle/product/admin/btest3/pfile/initbtest3.ora"
    Pfile @box2 = "/oops/app/oracle/product/admin/btest3/pfile/initbtest3.ora"
    //
    // uncomment next 4 lines for secondary monitoring
    // User = vcsmonitor
    // Pword = vcsmonitor
    // Table = vcsmonitor
    // MonScript = "./bin/Oracle/SqlTest.pl"
    //
    // if failover occured when hotbackup was
    // running, cleanup during online of database
    AutoEndBkup = 1
    EnvFile @box1 = "/u01/home/oracle/.profile"
    EnvFile @box2 = "/oops/home/oracle/.profile"
    )

    C. Use similar @box1 notation in your mount, volume, and diskgroup stanzas
    so VCS can monitor binaries:

    DiskGroup g1 (
    DiskGroup @box1 = g1
    DiskGroup @box2 = mydg
    )

    D. If you have two service groups both using the same oracle_home, and you
    would like for them to run on seperate nodes AND option B isn't appealing
    - open a support case, and we'll discuss setting up a parallel group to manage
    your binaries, and using service group dependency in parent groups to manage
    the instances. This is a very complex solution, with many side-effects.
    We in support will attempt to convince you to choose another method before
    implementing this option.

    -Bryan.

    "Simer" wrote:

    >The best way to connfigure is to have the smae name for the groups on both
    >the server and get it imported and activated
    >

    >If you are not having the same volume and group names you can still bring
    >up the binaries outside VCs but it will be monitored by bcs and so no fail
    >over on binary failures.
    >
    >Simer
    >

    >"John Tsinkelis" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have Sun E4500 servers using Solaris 8 and DB Edition 3.5. I have configured
    >>VCS in the past with all the data (binaries, ctls, logs, etc.) located

    on
    >>a storage array, but I would like to configure it differently. I would

    like
    >>to have the oracle binaries located on the servers themselves and the rest
    >>on the storage array, but I am encountering a problem setting up the resource
    >>groups. When I created the volumes where the binaries will be located,

    the
    >>disk groups on each server are different. I belive that I do not have to
    >>import/export these volumes with VCS since the data does not change, but
    >>how do I configure VCS to recognize this setup? I have searched the knowledge
    >>base, but could not find any documents pertaining to this scenario. Any

    >help
    >>would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread