Resource restart did not consider dependency? - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Resource restart did not consider dependency? - Veritas Cluster Server ; We have two resource A & B and B requires A. We specify the RestartLimit so that when resource terminate abnormally it can be restart atuomatically. However, looks like VCS won't restart resource B whenever it restart resource A. Is ...

  1. Resource restart did not consider dependency?

    We have two resource A & B and B requires A.
    We specify the RestartLimit so that when resource
    terminate abnormally it can be restart atuomatically.

    However, looks like VCS won't restart resource B whenever
    it restart resource A. Is this a normal behavior for VCS?
    Since resource B depends on resource A, shouldn't it restart
    B whenever A been restarted?

    Regards,

    Chen

  2. Re: Resource restart did not consider dependency?

    This is correct behavior. RestartLimit instructs VCS to clean the resource,
    increment the restart counter, then restart it in place. None of the other
    resources are touched if the restart is successful. VCS keeps track of an
    internal restart counter until the resource successfully remains ONLINE for
    ConfInterval seconds. If the resource stays up for that amount of time the
    counter is reset to zero, discarding previous restart count. If the internal
    counter reaches RestartLimit, VCS will clean and fault the resource. If
    the resource is Critical (default), VCS tears everything down and moves whole
    SG to another node.

    If monitor of B doesn't detect any problem, B remains ONLINE. If its not
    possible for monitor to sense any problem due to A restarting, you should
    consider consolidating these two components into one resource so VCS will
    manage them together.

    -Bryan.
    "Chen" wrote:

    >We have two resource A & B and B requires A.
    >We specify the RestartLimit so that when resource
    >terminate abnormally it can be restart atuomatically.
    >
    >However, looks like VCS won't restart resource B whenever
    >it restart resource A. Is this a normal behavior for VCS?
    >Since resource B depends on resource A, shouldn't it restart
    >B whenever A been restarted?
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Chen

+ Reply to Thread