Fibre MAC address - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Fibre MAC address - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi ! Can I use the Fiber MAC Address as a LLT heartbeat link instead of Ethernet card ?? HOw to justify it ? Am I suppose to use the /opt/VRTSllt/dlpiping command to get the MAC and put in inside ...

  1. Fibre MAC address

    Hi !

    Can I use the Fiber MAC Address as a LLT heartbeat
    link instead of Ethernet card ?? HOw to justify it ?
    Am I suppose to use the /opt/VRTSllt/dlpiping command
    to get the MAC and put in inside the /etc/llttab ?
    Does it performs well ? Please do let me know if
    anybody done it before ?

    --
    Best regards,

    Effendy Yahaya

  2. Re: Fibre MAC address

    Hi,

    Instead of having NIC as a heartbeat connection. Can I use the fibre as a
    heartbeat ? and treat the fibre using the MAC address.

    Effendy
    --
    Best regards,
    Effendy bin Yahaya
    "Effendy bin Yahaya" wrote in message
    > Hi !
    >
    > Can I use the Fiber MAC Address as a LLT heartbeat
    > link instead of Ethernet card ?? HOw to justify it ?
    > Am I suppose to use the /opt/VRTSllt/dlpiping command
    > to get the MAC and put in inside the /etc/llttab ?
    > Does it performs well ? Please do let me know if
    > anybody done it before ?
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Effendy Yahaya

  3. Re: Fibre MAC address

    don't quite get wat you mean??
    you wanna use 2 hba direct connect the 2 hba with a fc cable??
    > Hi,
    >
    > Instead of having NIC as a heartbeat connection. Can I use the fibre as a
    > heartbeat ? and treat the fibre using the MAC address.
    >
    > Effendy
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Effendy bin Yahaya
    > "Effendy bin Yahaya" wrote in message
    > > Hi !
    > >
    > > Can I use the Fiber MAC Address as a LLT heartbeat
    > > link instead of Ethernet card ?? HOw to justify it ?
    > > Am I suppose to use the /opt/VRTSllt/dlpiping command
    > > to get the MAC and put in inside the /etc/llttab ?
    > > Does it performs well ? Please do let me know if
    > > anybody done it before ?
    > >

    > > --
    > > Best regards,
    > >
    > > Effendy Yahaya

  4. Re: Fibre MAC address

    No,
    you cannot use fiber for HB
    Simer

    "Effendy bin Yahaya" wrote:
    >Hi !
    >
    >Can I use the Fiber MAC Address as a LLT heartbeat
    >link instead of Ethernet card ?? HOw to justify it ?
    >Am I suppose to use the /opt/VRTSllt/dlpiping command
    >to get the MAC and put in inside the /etc/llttab ?
    >Does it performs well ? Please do let me know if
    >anybody done it before ?
    >

    >--
    >Best regards,
    >
    >Effendy Yahaya

  5. Re: Fibre MAC address

    VCS requires currently requires 2 ethernet links for heartbeat, HBAs don't
    meet this (ethernet) requirement.

    > Hi !
    >
    > Can I use the Fiber MAC Address as a LLT heartbeat
    > link instead of Ethernet card ?? HOw to justify it ?
    > Am I suppose to use the /opt/VRTSllt/dlpiping command
    > to get the MAC and put in inside the /etc/llttab ?
    > Does it performs well ? Please do let me know if
    > anybody done it before ?
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Effendy Yahaya

  6. Re: Fibre MAC address

    In my opinion you can use HBA as disk heartbeat. But not instead - rather as
    additional link - higher availability. 2 Ethernet is mandatory.

    Użytkownik "Effendy bin Yahaya" napisał w wiadomości
    > Hi !
    >
    > Can I use the Fiber MAC Address as a LLT heartbeat
    > link instead of Ethernet card ?? HOw to justify it ?
    > Am I suppose to use the /opt/VRTSllt/dlpiping command
    > to get the MAC and put in inside the /etc/llttab ?
    > Does it performs well ? Please do let me know if
    > anybody done it before ?
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Effendy Yahaya

  7. Re: Fibre MAC address

    Effendy;

    As long as IP Networking is enabled on the HBA, it should work fine, just
    like a GiG-E port.

    Thomas Crowe
    Senior Engineer
    EMC Master Architect
    CTS Professional Services

    "Tomasz Kilinski" wrote:
    >In my opinion you can use HBA as disk heartbeat. But not instead - rather

    as
    >additional link - higher availability. 2 Ethernet is mandatory.
    >
    >Użytkownik "Effendy bin Yahaya" napisał w wiadomości
    >> Hi !
    >>
    >> Can I use the Fiber MAC Address as a LLT heartbeat
    >> link instead of Ethernet card ?? HOw to justify it ?
    >> Am I suppose to use the /opt/VRTSllt/dlpiping command
    >> to get the MAC and put in inside the /etc/llttab ?
    >> Does it performs well ? Please do let me know if
    >> anybody done it before ?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Best regards,
    >>
    >> Effendy Yahaya