SQLNet no starting oracle listener. - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on SQLNet no starting oracle listener. - Veritas Cluster Server ; Ok, here's my issue and a very frustrating one at that! I have VCS 2.0 in production with 3 Oracle 8.1.7 databases on 2 Sun 420R's. Failover works flawlessly. We have a new Oracle DB/application that we are getting ready ...

  1. SQLNet no starting oracle listener.

    Ok, here's my issue and a very frustrating one at that!

    I have VCS 2.0 in production with 3 Oracle 8.1.7 databases on 2 Sun 420R's.
    Failover works flawlessly.

    We have a new Oracle DB/application that we are getting ready to go live and
    so I have replicated and double/triple checked all settings for the new DB
    for failover.

    On one system it works great. Mounts are up, proxy is up. Oracle agent is
    up, SQLnet is up. When I do a SWITCH everything comes up except for the
    SQLNet listener. It's the last piece. I can see the process start (by
    monitoring the Engine_A.log, and ps -ef | grep tnslsnr) then it gets killed
    and doesn't start.

    But if i switch it back to the original system..it works great.

    thoughts? ideas? i'm brain dead from beating this up for the last 2
    days....hehe

    thanks!

    ~Allen

  2. Re: SQLNet no starting oracle listener.

    are you able to startup Listener maunally on the secondary node...
    try to switch over all resources from DG to oracle...then manually startup
    listener??
    if it does not not then most probably your lisenter is not configured
    correctly??
    "ajdv" wrote in message
    > Ok, here's my issue and a very frustrating one at that!
    >
    > I have VCS 2.0 in production with 3 Oracle 8.1.7 databases on 2 Sun

    420R's.
    > Failover works flawlessly.
    >
    > We have a new Oracle DB/application that we are getting ready to go live

    and
    > so I have replicated and double/triple checked all settings for the new DB
    > for failover.
    >
    > On one system it works great. Mounts are up, proxy is up. Oracle agent is
    > up, SQLnet is up. When I do a SWITCH everything comes up except for the
    > SQLNet listener. It's the last piece. I can see the process start (by
    > monitoring the Engine_A.log, and ps -ef | grep tnslsnr) then it gets

    killed
    > and doesn't start.
    >
    > But if i switch it back to the original system..it works great.
    >
    > thoughts? ideas? i'm brain dead from beating this up for the last 2
    > days....hehe
    >
    > thanks!
    >
    > ~Allen

  3. Re: SQLNet no starting oracle listener.

    yeah..been able to manually start it. I have an open case with Veritas on
    this right now..so far nothing

    ugh.

    frustrating is the word that summarizes it nicely.

    "Ricky Teo" wrote in message
    > are you able to startup Listener maunally on the secondary node...
    > try to switch over all resources from DG to oracle...then manually startup
    > listener??
    > if it does not not then most probably your lisenter is not configured
    > correctly??
    > "ajdv" wrote in message
    > > Ok, here's my issue and a very frustrating one at that!
    > >
    > > I have VCS 2.0 in production with 3 Oracle 8.1.7 databases on 2 Sun

    > 420R's.
    > > Failover works flawlessly.
    > >
    > > We have a new Oracle DB/application that we are getting ready to go live

    > and
    > > so I have replicated and double/triple checked all settings for the new

    DB
    > > for failover.
    > >
    > > On one system it works great. Mounts are up, proxy is up. Oracle agent

    is
    > > up, SQLnet is up. When I do a SWITCH everything comes up except for the
    > > SQLNet listener. It's the last piece. I can see the process start (by
    > > monitoring the Engine_A.log, and ps -ef | grep tnslsnr) then it gets

    > killed
    > > and doesn't start.
    > >
    > > But if i switch it back to the original system..it works great.
    > >
    > > thoughts? ideas? i'm brain dead from beating this up for the last 2
    > > days....hehe
    > >
    > > thanks!
    > >
    > > ~Allen

  4. Re: SQLNet no starting oracle listener.

    guess the best way is to try to re-install the whole thing???
    if you have the time...??
    which most probably you have tried...
    any error messages from the SQLNet?
    "ajdv" wrote in message
    > yeah..been able to manually start it. I have an open case with Veritas on
    > this right now..so far nothing
    >
    > ugh.
    >
    > frustrating is the word that summarizes it nicely.
    >

    > "Ricky Teo" wrote in message
    > > are you able to startup Listener maunally on the secondary node...
    > > try to switch over all resources from DG to oracle...then manually

    startup
    > > listener??
    > > if it does not not then most probably your lisenter is not configured
    > > correctly??
    > > "ajdv" wrote in message
    > > > Ok, here's my issue and a very frustrating one at that!
    > > >
    > > > I have VCS 2.0 in production with 3 Oracle 8.1.7 databases on 2 Sun

    > > 420R's.
    > > > Failover works flawlessly.
    > > >
    > > > We have a new Oracle DB/application that we are getting ready to go

    live
    > > and
    > > > so I have replicated and double/triple checked all settings for the

    new
    > DB
    > > > for failover.
    > > >
    > > > On one system it works great. Mounts are up, proxy is up. Oracle agent

    > is
    > > > up, SQLnet is up. When I do a SWITCH everything comes up except for

    the
    > > > SQLNet listener. It's the last piece. I can see the process start (by
    > > > monitoring the Engine_A.log, and ps -ef | grep tnslsnr) then it gets

    > > killed
    > > > and doesn't start.
    > > >
    > > > But if i switch it back to the original system..it works great.
    > > >
    > > > thoughts? ideas? i'm brain dead from beating this up for the last 2
    > > > days....hehe
    > > >
    > > > thanks!
    > > >
    > > > ~Allen

  5. Re: SQLNet no starting oracle listener.

    Did you use the "virtual IP address" assigned by the VCS IP resource in
    this group when you configured the listener?

    If not then you will need to make this change.

    -kk

    "ajdv" wrote in message
    > Ok, here's my issue and a very frustrating one at that!
    >
    > I have VCS 2.0 in production with 3 Oracle 8.1.7 databases on 2 Sun

    420R's.
    > Failover works flawlessly.
    >
    > We have a new Oracle DB/application that we are getting ready to go live

    and
    > so I have replicated and double/triple checked all settings for the new DB
    > for failover.
    >
    > On one system it works great. Mounts are up, proxy is up. Oracle agent is
    > up, SQLnet is up. When I do a SWITCH everything comes up except for the
    > SQLNet listener. It's the last piece. I can see the process start (by
    > monitoring the Engine_A.log, and ps -ef | grep tnslsnr) then it gets

    killed
    > and doesn't start.
    >
    > But if i switch it back to the original system..it works great.
    >
    > thoughts? ideas? i'm brain dead from beating this up for the last 2
    > days....hehe
    >
    > thanks!
    >
    > ~Allen

  6. Re: SQLNet no starting oracle listener.

    Whenever I've seen an issue like this, it's always been an Oracle configuration
    issue, not a VCS issue. Have an HA-saavy DBA look at the listener configuration
    for port conflicts and such.

    "ajdv" wrote:
    >Ok, here's my issue and a very frustrating one at that!
    >
    >I have VCS 2.0 in production with 3 Oracle 8.1.7 databases on 2 Sun 420R's.
    >Failover works flawlessly.
    >
    >We have a new Oracle DB/application that we are getting ready to go live

    and
    >so I have replicated and double/triple checked all settings for the new

    DB
    >for failover.
    >
    >On one system it works great. Mounts are up, proxy is up. Oracle agent is
    >up, SQLnet is up. When I do a SWITCH everything comes up except for the
    >SQLNet listener. It's the last piece. I can see the process start (by
    >monitoring the Engine_A.log, and ps -ef | grep tnslsnr) then it gets killed
    >and doesn't start.
    >
    >But if i switch it back to the original system..it works great.
    >
    >thoughts? ideas? i'm brain dead from beating this up for the last 2
    >days....hehe
    >
    >thanks!
    >
    >~Allen

+ Reply to Thread