clustering - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on clustering - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi, Silly question but here it is anyway - when clustering in pairs that share external storage, where should i install applications, on each box on the internal harddrive or can i place it on the shared storage. I want ...

  1. clustering

    Hi,

    Silly question but here it is anyway - when clustering in pairs that share
    external storage, where should i
    install applications, on each box on the internal harddrive or can i place
    it on the shared storage.

    I want to avoid replicating work as much as possible.

    thanks,
    dm

  2. Re: clustering

    There is no correct answer to this. If you install the application on the
    shared storage you are dealing with 1 copy of the app. This can simplify
    install. Possabliy one copy of config files. This can be helpful for adding
    new cluster nodes.
    Placing app bins on local disk allows you to roll out patches or new versions
    while maintaining a working fallback. Downside is that you are now maintaining
    multiple instances of the app and config.

    Allen
    "DM" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Silly question but here it is anyway - when clustering in pairs that share
    >external storage, where should i
    >install applications, on each box on the internal harddrive or can i place
    >it on the shared storage.
    >
    >I want to avoid replicating work as much as possible.
    >
    >thanks,
    >dm

  3. Re: clustering

    Will it be a cluster if your application and data will be installed on
    external disks? I do not think so.
    Cluster it is when applications are running on servers and data is available
    to all systems in a cluster. When application fails cluster starts it on the
    other node and makes data (stored usually on an external storage) available
    to this system.

    Regards,

    Igor

    "DM" wrote in message news:3d33e90a$1@hronntp01....
    > Hi,
    >
    > Silly question but here it is anyway - when clustering in pairs that share
    > external storage, where should i
    > install applications, on each box on the internal harddrive or can i place
    > it on the shared storage.
    >
    > I want to avoid replicating work as much as possible.
    >
    > thanks,
    > dm

+ Reply to Thread